Online Engagement Strategies?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Dkans22, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Dkans22

Dkans22 New Member

Mar 9, 2021

What are some ways that have been beneficial in engaging the students and building motivation in a virtual setting?

I am currently a student in college studying music education and wanted to see if I could get any input on different engagement strategies that have worked for you through online learning, so that I could implement into my lessons now and in the future.

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated!

MrTempest likes this.
  3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 10, 2021

After teaching online for a long time, I've found the key to engaging students in distance learning is to form a personal relationship with them. Make a lot of phone calls. Try to find out their birthdays. Keep your webcam on so they have a face for accountability. In other words, find ways to create the same bonds you would form in person.

MrTempest, Kiki319 and otterpop like this.
  4. Dominic Thomas

Dominic Thomas New Member

Mar 19, 2021

thank you very much for the recommendations. It seems to me that in the matter of education and its improvement, it will be very useful to write various reasoned essays that will allow college or university students to reveal not only their creativity, but also learn how to give quality arguments. On the site https://gradesfixer.com/essay-types/argumentative-essays/ you can see how to write well-reasoned essays correctly.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  5. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 19, 2021

1. Cold call to keep them involved.
    2. As an opposite strategy, ask them to use the hand raise button if they want to read/answer.
    3. Ask them to comment in the chat with any info (what you had for breakfast, what you’re doing this weekend, etc.) to get them participating.

MrTempest likes this.
  6. HellyDouglas

HellyDouglas Rookie

Mar 24, 2021

For engagement:
    - making more use of visuals when I'm presenting. I use a Wacom Intuos tablet and draw while I talk, or underline/ highlight key information. I'm trying to do more sketchnoting too.
    - I ask them lots of questions and my students either unmute or type in the chat bar. I give them time to think of their answers to reduce the pressure.
    - I create short blocks of whole class teaching and then time for independent work. I use Teams so I can pop in and out of their work and I talk to over the mic, or write on their Teams screen using my pen.

For motivation:
    - I have really clear deadlines so we all know what I expect when.
    - I try to make it fun to be in my lessons. Time to talk together and share news.
    - I use lots of low-stakes quizzing and games

I'd like to experiment more with using digital whiteboard spaces so all my students can add their ideas in one space, even when we're all at home. I think it would be a really engaging technique.

Good luck! It's got to be hard teaching music virtually.

7. Kiki319

Kiki319 Rookie

May 4, 2021

Hello all! I agree with everyone's suggestions, especially the importance of establishing relationships with the students and by incorporating lots of visuals into my digital lessons. I've gotten pretty good at designing Nearpod lessons which is an awesome resource! Request your district to purchase it if not already available to you. With Nearpod, or even if I'm just using Google slides or Powerpoint, I like to incorporate a variety of media and dynamically designed slides to capture and hold the students attention. I teach history so I LOVE to incorporate video clips into our lessons. And I'm sure there are just as many which can be used for your music lessons, if not more!
    I also use cold calling to ensure my students stay engaged during virtual lessons, since my school district has remained 100% virtual for the entire school year at the middle school level. Student participation in virtual learning has been a challenge overall.
    One teacher mentioned using the digital white board function so her students can add ideas to one space. Jamboard is awesome for this! Nearpod has a whiteboard function as well.
    Are there any other digital applications or ideas which you all have found useful in your virtual or physical classrooms this year?

8. Regan@Off2Class

Regan@Off2Class Rookie

May 10, 2021

So my students love K5Learning, multiplication dot com, Khan Academy (which is really helpful) and we even collaborate on Canva to create graphics!