Online Endorsement Programs

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sensei, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Sensei

Sensei Rookie

Jan 27, 2008

I'm wondering if anyone has information on universities who offer online endorsement programs in either reading or ESL. I live overseas and an online program is the only way that I will be able to complete a program. The requirement for the state where I hold a license is to complete an endorsement program that consists of at least 20 credit hours. I have dealt with the University of Phoenix before and I prefer not to go back there.

Thanks!

3. little317

little317 Groupie

Jan 28, 2008

I agree, I've heard some awful stories of people who took ESL endorsement classes through them. Are you currently employed as a teacher? If you are than your school district should have some ESL endorsement classes available through the professional development program. Other than that option I wouldn't know where to look.

4. Sensei

Sensei Rookie

Jan 29, 2008

Thanks for your reply! Other than subbing, I am not employed. Since I live overseas I was hoping that an ESL endorsement might increase my marketability.

I found some classes at WGU and Fort Hays State University. I am not sure how I feel about WGU because they are not a brick and mortar university. After my experience with University of Phoenix I am a little more careful with where I choose to take classes.

5. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Jan 30, 2008

I earned my degree through National University which only has campuses in California but does have an online program. I was happy enough - some issues that are bound to occur when you are not AT the campus. They have online ESL and in fact if you get your teaching certificate you will earn a California certificate with a CLAD and ELL endorsement.

6. Sensei

Sensei Rookie

Jan 30, 2008

Thanks for the information about National. I know a few people who attended the school and seemed to enjoy it.

I searched the website and could not find info on the ESL endorsement program. I found info about the graduate degree programs. I only want to add an endorsement, not complete another degree. Can you tell me where on the site I can find more about the endorsement programs?

Thanks!

7. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Jan 30, 2008

I think if you call the Education Department they can help you. I am pretty sure you can earn just the endorsement if you speak to an actual person.

8. mrsmax

mrsmax Rookie

Jan 30, 2008

Hi Sensei,

I know that Morningside College (IA) offers online courses for educators (I am not sure if they are exactly what you need or not, but you can at least check them out.) I don't believe you need to be a matriculated student to acquire professional development credits. They work with an Externship program for International Teachers, so they offer a number of courses online. Go to morningside dot edu and click on graduate program - at the bottom of the page is the professional development coordinators contact email. Good luck!

9. Sensei

Sensei Rookie

Feb 4, 2008

Thanks everyone!