online encyclopedias

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by amyt682, Jul 7, 2010.

1. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jul 7, 2010

what site do you use for research that is friendly to the dear 2nd grader...we have a new computer lab and i will be taking them to use it this year...but i don't really know of good places for the kids to look up info...i know i am going to have them research an animal and some one important in science and history this year...

3. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Jul 14, 2010

4. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jul 16, 2010

answered my own question

i did some digging...
    for some animals you can go to www.zoobooks.com and use their animal directory...this doesn't help me but it might help you- I assign each child a specific snake that they research and create a lapbook for...they have just general info about snakes

for biographies on historic people www.incwell.com/biographies and www.s9.com

the incwell one has better information on the presidents, and some of the biographies offer copyright free images that the students can use

not so sure I would use the s9 one...it says you can edit a biography so i guess it's kind of like wiki

5. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 16, 2010

our school lets us access Worldbook and National Geographic for Kids. I believe they are subscription based though. They rather not just let the student google it. We have found the things we needed using them. Sometimes I do some research for things and just print it out.

6. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 20, 2010

I use this too for research. They teach the students how to use it in library, so it's fairly simple for my class to use!