Online/Electronic Work Submission?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rockguykev, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Oct 22, 2015

I have an opportunity to use a class set of iPads for second semester this year and I'd like to really use them. I'm looking for an easy managment system where students can submit digital work to me. I looked into Google Classroom but it looks like it needs my whole site on board to even sign up.

I'd love to find something that doesn't require email addresses for students since my kids are all under 13.

Any ideas?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 22, 2015

Have you looked at Dropbox? I'm not incredibly familiar with it, but some of my non-Google friends have used it successfully.

4. Letsgo

Letsgo Rookie

Oct 22, 2015

I've found that the easiest thing to use is Google Forms. You don't have to use the whole google classrooms system just to use google forms. They don't need an email address or anything to use it.

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2015

Google Forms definitely looks like my best option at this point... which is kind of scary to be quite honest. I'm very techy and yet I fail to see how this is not a substantial downgrade to using a piece of paper.

I will literally just be using to justify the existence of the pads in my classroom to the brass. So silly.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 23, 2015

I'm feeling super fortunate right now because every K-8 student has a district-issued email address (since we're 1:1 in all classrooms).

The sad thing is we've also got teachers who only pull out the devices when it's time for (online) district benchmarks.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 25, 2015

I'm the tech teacher and one of the biggest proponents of technology in our school, and yet, I think that trying to force tech where paper would have worked better really is a waste of time. You don't need a 300 dollar piece of paper.

Where tech really shines is allowing students to complete research utilizing the internet and evaluate different sources. But honestly you'll only do this a few times at most in a quarter. In my class I have my own set of Chromebooks but I probably only pull them out, 2 or 3 times a month. And that's really all you need.

Tech also provides a way for students to have different ways of showing their understanding, for example, by making videos.

I can tell that in the future, we will be ditching all textbooks and instead use digital textbooks which will mostly be compilations of links, videos, and webpages that students can use to access information.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2015

My third graders are using Prezi to create online presentations.

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 25, 2015

Well... have they been trained in ways to use them? What have you (in general as an administrative team) done to streamline the use of them? Teachers aren't going to use them unless they consider them a better option to what they have already.

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 25, 2015

I see this from both sides. Admin has a responsibility to train staff in new techniques. But also teachers should self-pursue professional development and update their techniques on their own. If I just relied on district and site-offered PD, I would be very lacking as a teacher.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 26, 2015

If someone is adamant about not using them, they won't--regardless of the amount of professional development I (or anyone else) provide.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 26, 2015

I love using Google docs for writing assignments. I can quickly make comments on the student's document and return it for more work. Editing is so much easier this way. Presentations by students are so easy on Google slides.

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 26, 2015

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 27, 2015

We use Google drive for everything. Students just share their work with me. It works out really well.

MrsC likes this.
  15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2015

I use Google Drive as well. I like to be able to keep an "eye" on all work in progress and give feedback as needed. I usually have my students share their document with me as soon as they start it instead of waiting until it's finished.

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 27, 2015

I do this too! I also let them share with each other for peer tutoring. Then they turn work in on TurnItIn.com, but only because we have to since the school pays for it.

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2015

I used Google Drive for two years and loved everything about it. Quick comments to students as the writing process was active, available for emails about clarification, missed points, or even just suggestions if I saw potential problems forming. Then, I changed schools. Well, I am settled where I am, but everything is different. No access to Drive, no free access to the web for the students, although they are generous with staff. I understand that with our student population these constraints are for everyone's protection, but I do miss the days when I was answering student emails, making little nudges or heading off a wrong assumption at the pass. I still use Drive, so something good came out of the time, but I can't access it at work. I am using Canvas for courses I am taking, and it seems much improved since I first used it a couple of years ago. At that time it was very buggy and you hated to have to rely on it too much. This current go-round is going much smoother, so I am thinking that some serious time upgrading was spent on the system.