Online Discussion Boards

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Godgimmepeace, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Godgimmepeace

Godgimmepeace New Member

Jun 24, 2005

Hello All,

I am the Communications Coordinator for the Out-of-School Time Resource Center at the University of Pennsylvania. The OSTRC will soon be developing our own interactive web-based bulletin board. Can anyone tell me what they like the most/least about using this particular bulletin board? In what others do you participate or enjoy? Though our organization focuses on staff and educators of non-school hour programs, I'd like to gain feedback on which communications tools do and do not work for teachers in general. Thanks!

3. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jun 24, 2005

I think one of the best things about this board is the professionalism it shows.Everyone is truly offering their best advise without being demeaning (also thanks to Amanda's close monitoring of the site). Also there is such a wide participant base that you are able to get many different views to the same topic. You have new teachers, veteran teachers, student teachers, subs, parents, teachers-to-be, and I have even seen administrators use this site. And there are so many of the same people that visit this site that you develop a rapport with them. I, personally, have never been involved in any other discussion boards. But I have visited them and don't find them to be as user friendly as this one. (Again, thanks to Amanda constantly trying to improve this one).

4. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Jun 24, 2005

I agree with Margo. I, as well, am not involved with any other site. I lurked on this site for about three month before joining. I didn't want to be involved with a board that was catty or vindictive as I have seen on others. Also as a new teacher you have lots of ideas & questions & this is a very safe place to bounce them around. No question is considered stupid or ridiculous & is usually answered with tact. Again, this is do to Amanda's excellent monitoring. Not that things don't get heated, we do discuss some very controversial subjects. What is helpful is that this board covers lesson plans to jitters to greivances to behaviors to well, any subject teachers may come across or against. This site is very unique in that way.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 24, 2005

I belong only to this site because it fulfills my needs and I, too, appreciate the professionalism. It is well laid out, current topics and archived topics are very easy to access. Members share information and resources gladly and frequently. There is a lot of daily traffic here, so always something new to talk about and you are assured of getting responses to new topics. Newcomers are welcomed and appreciated. The advertising does not interfere with the focus of the site. I work in a small school where each grade has just one teacher. Therefore, I lack peers with which to discuss grade level topics. AtoZ fills this need very well. There is a nice blend of forums here with new ones being added as needed. It is a great model for sites for professionals. Kudos to Amanda!

6. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 27, 2005

What can I add that hasn't already been posted? I stumbled on this site last year while student teaching and looking for good ideas for lessons and found discussion boards. I worked as an assistant community manager for online communites in the 90s and have always enjoyed the interaction of discussion boards and chat so I joined, and I visit here every day, even if I don't post.

Being that I'm from Canada and lots of the teachers here are from the US some discussions don't have any bearing on my situation, but those are few and far between. This discussion board and the website are a fabulous resource.

This year, I'm the website coordinator for my education students association (I'm in my certification year) and one of the things I'm putting on our site is a resource link. A to Z Teacher Stuff is my top resource - five star! I've recommended it to my classmates as well when they are looking for information/resources.

I belong to one other discussion group but it is a poetry group not teaching related (I write fiction and poetry) and this forum here is the only other group I've wanted to join and take part in!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 27, 2005

Could you post the poetry site lowrie? Thanks.