Online credential program (National)

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by SilverlakeLA, Feb 5, 2007.

1. SilverlakeLA

SilverlakeLA Rookie

Feb 5, 2007

I have heard that more work is involved with doing it online verse classroom. Can anyone confire or deny this ?

3. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Feb 5, 2007

Probably depends upon many factors...how you deal with online courses versus absorbing in a classroom setting. I think many people assume that online courses are easy because you can do it anytime you want - but my experience is that just means you procrastinate to the last minute. I found that it was easier for me to have scheduled classes - that way I knew when they were, what I had to prepare for, and when it was over, it was over...whenever my regular classes had online components (becuase the instructor was out of town) it was always a pain because we would all procrastinate.

But, if you have a full time job, or want to get done more quickly, you don't have many options.

4. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Feb 6, 2007

If your already working a full time job and making a career change to teaching, like I am, then the online credentialing would probably be the most convenient way to obtain licensure. Can you share with us who the online program is with? Thanks!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 6, 2007

National University, I believe.

SilverlakeLA, if you're going to go this route, I beg you to use ALL the contact tools that National makes available - just as with live classes, one gets a lot more out of the classes when one participates fully.

6. FutureFLTeacher

Feb 7, 2007

Thanks TeacherGroupie for the info on the school...:)

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 7, 2007

Shucks, Future, 'twarn't much: the thread title is "Online Credential Program (National)", and National U. is a big player in credentials, online and otherwise, here in California.

8. FutureFLTeacher

Feb 8, 2007

But the sad thing is, I had no clue the reference to "National" meant National University...LOL I thought it meant something along the lines of national credentialing...LOL

Oh yeah, and I want to teach, frightening isn't it? :eek:

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 8, 2007

You happen not to know about a particular West Coast university? Not shocking at all.

10. FutureFLTeacher

Feb 8, 2007

Thanks! :)

Is National a fairly well recognized university? I think I might have heard about them in passing conversations before. Your opinion on them would be greatly appreciated TeacherGroupie!!! :thanks:

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 8, 2007

National University gives new meaning to the term "commuter campus" - there is no centralized campus and there are no dorms, athletic facilities, teams, recreation centers, etc., etc. Its mission is primarily to reach working adults with classes that are offered almost exclusively at night and on weekends, in a one-course-a-month format. That format works well for some students; those who are happier looking for connections between ideas and those who like more time to think about a subject while learning it may well find it's not a good fit.

12. lucianamelo

lucianamelo Rookie

Feb 20, 2007

Hi everyone....
    I have just started the online Master of Education in Cross-Cultural Teaching at National University. After an extensive research, I found National University to be the best university to fit my needs. Chapman is also a good university, I looked at their program, and it’s actually easier than that of National, however, only some of their classes are offered online and the on-campus classes start at 5 pm and for someone who works full time it does not work.
    I am currently taking the first course (TED 605). They don’t actually allow you to take more than one course (Now, I know why :)).The course is very demanding and challenging. We get two assignments a week. A lot of these assignments require you to find a classroom to observe. For example, for an assignment that is due this Saturday, I have to find a school to observe a student with exceptional needs. Then, I have to write a paper on how I could modify the instruction to meet the California Academic Standards for the student. I am very stressful right now. :confused:
    Bottom line is: Online courses are much more difficult than on-campus courses. I have experienced both. However, if you are motivated and willing to do your best you can succeed.
    UCLACareerChngr said that online courses “just mean you procrastinate to the last minute”. I disagree, because if you procrastinate to the last minute you’ll fail for sure. When taking online classes you have to think about the assignments ahead, the course’s agenda is given to you on the first day of class. For this course, we have 8 assignments, and each has a due date, if you don’t program and organize yourself well, you won’t be able to post it by the due date.
    During the course, you are able to interact with your classmates in the Discursion Board, (besides all the assignments you have to be active in the Discussion Board). You actually get good advice and ideas in there.

TeacherGroupie, what did you mean when you said: “If you're going to go this route, I beg you to use ALL the contact tools that National makes available”? Contact Tools?

If anyone wants to know more about my experience, I am happy to help.

13. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Feb 20, 2007

I said that people who take online classes tend procrastinate, which has definitely been my experience for classmates who were taking online classes while I was taking regular courses. Don't get me wrong, I think people in regular courses procrastinate too - and someone who was going to procrastinate in one method probably would in the other as well.

Lucianamelo is absolutely right - if you are organized and motivated than an online course might be better than an in person course. In my experience some people just aren't organized enough or don't have enough self-control to be able to manage it without procrastinating. They load themselves up with jobs, subbing, etc. and leave their coursework to the last - although I definitely don't advocate it, that's what I saw when I was going through a credential program.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 20, 2007

By "contact tools" I mean the discussion boards, primarily, but also whatever other option the course gives you to contact the instructor and your fellow students. In my experience, you see, one of the great advantages of live coursework on a real college campus is what you learn from the discussions in class and out of class with your fellow students, and that sort of thing tends to happen organically, without lots of effort on someone's part. That's harder to duplicate in an online course, and it does require the student to be a little more proactive - you're not bumping into people on your way to the dining hall or even on your way out the classroom door, so the onus is on the student to find the "e-equivalent" (if I may be forgiven for coining a term) and then use it.