online content inquiry

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by chessimprov, Nov 27, 2012.

1. chessimprov

chessimprov Rookie

Nov 27, 2012

I'm teaching Algebra II and AP Calculus this year. I teach at a cyber school. Any resources with helpful websites would be great, especially for AP Calc. I know of Collegeboard.com, Khan Academy, and some Calc site through Temple. I feel like there's a lot more useful information out there. Also, I'm also considering an extra credit question for AP Calculus for anything for approximately the first two semesters of Calculus at a college. Thank you.

3. chessimprov

chessimprov Rookie

Nov 27, 2012

There's an extra credit Calc question I received one time, though it was the equivalent of Calc III, so still okay for my course if we do cover integration by parts (or if I want to let students research a ton of stuff). The integration by parts problem had use of the reduction formula I think, and I had to solve it in such a way so that I had to combine what was on the left side and the right to solve the problem. So normally, a simple integral problem might be something like

integral (x^2) = integral (x^2)
    integral (x^2) = (1/3) x^3

The more complex one was something along these lines where I had to do something like this:

integral (x^2) = integral (x^2)
    integral (x^2) = (part of the answer) + (1/2) integral (x^2)
    integral (x^2) - + (1/2) integral (x^2) = part of the answer

Any thoughts/ideas on this? Thank you.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 27, 2012

5. chessimprov

chessimprov Rookie

Dec 3, 2012

Usually for more advanced topics, there are no specific standards that need to be met. There are no standards for Pre-Calc or Calc, so it is easy enough for me to follow the structure of the online book. The curriculum provided is such that the school and the umbrella organization that provides the curriculum would like me to stick with following the curriculum too, and include any add-ons I can to support AP exams themselves.

I do not have a Kindle, so I'm not sure if this book would really be free for me or not.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 3, 2012

You don't need to buy a Kindle. Just use the Kindle App (free) for your PC or phone, and download the books to your computer.