Online Colleges

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MorahMe, Oct 26, 2010.

1. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Oct 26, 2010

I need to register by November 1st-and I can't find the info I need!

While doing a search not related to a degree, I came across information about a college. Being that I'm (finally) considering getting started on college, I clicked on it out of curiosity. Has anyone heard of WGU (Western Governors University), or used it? Is it considered acceptable? Any information would be helpful!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2010

I've heard of it but never used it nor do I know anyone who went there.

Sorry.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 26, 2010

Your best bet in any online college is to contact your state's Department of Education to see if the school's credentials are accepted for a degree or are just good for CE credits.

5. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Oct 26, 2010

Catnfiddle, that's a good idea! Thanks!

6. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Oct 27, 2010

Ok, I have a better question that more of you should be able to answer, and will probably be more productive in the long run.

What questions should I be asking about a college program, particularly a distance learning one?

7. mfortheming

mfortheming Rookie

Oct 28, 2010

I would ask about their accrediations. I took distance learning classes from our local CC, and I admit they were tougher then the in class versions.
    I am skeptical about full time distance learning though for a complete degree. Not to say all distant learning schools are a waste of time and money, but I do know someone who went that route and she can't even find a school to allow her to student teach to complete the degree because it was not accredited.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2010

I would also speak to the personnel departments of some local school districts, and get a feel for their reaction to online degrees. Do they have any sort of preference, or are there certain online colleges that have more credibility with them?

It may help avoid getting a degree from a college that has no credibility with the people doing the hiring.

9. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Oct 28, 2010

So, I'm looking into WGU.

From their website: # NCATE accredited—by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education. WGU is the first and only exclusively online university to have earned this distinction.
    # Nationally accredited—by the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC).
    # Regionally accredited—by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. The Northwest Commission is also responsible for the accreditation of other major universities such as the University of Washington, University of Oregon, Gonzaga University, and the University of Utah, to name a few.

From the NYSED website: Programs offered by institutions located outside New York State are not listed in this database. Information on those programs may be found in one of the commercial guides to distance education available at a large bookstore or public library. The Distance Higher Education Initiative cannot answer inquiries about the reputation of institutions or their distance education programs. Outside of New York State, the most reliable indicator that an institution's programs will be recognized is accreditation by one of the regional accrediting bodies:
    ...Northwestern Commission on Colleges and Universities...

The problem is, when I click on the link to get to NWCCU from the NYSED site, it takes me to a totally different place than when I google them. The link from NYSED doesn't seem to list any colleges, while the one I'm finding on my own does. Is it a problem with NYSED's link, or is WGU not accredited?

10. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 28, 2010

Call the NYSED?

11. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Oct 28, 2010

Oh, good idea.