Online Blockbuster rentals vs Netflix

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Nov 9, 2010.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Nov 9, 2010

We have Netflix but are thinking of switching to Blockbuster. We found out the other night we can rent Wii games through BB so that made us excited. We know that Netflix doesn't release the movies as soon as BB would so that would be another plus. I'm also seeking more comedies than what Netflix has since I haven't heard of most of them and they're usually not my kind of comedy since they look "dumb" to me...sorry no offense to anyone.

If you have BB, what do you like about it vs Netflix?

Thanks! :)

3. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Nov 9, 2010

I had BB before I had Netflix and for awhile, it was great. I liked that they didn't charge extra for blu-ray. However, a few months ago I noticed there were more delays with DVDs...movies that had been out for awhile were always still unavailable, etc. I was having a hard time getting what I wanted. I think it coincided with their in-store business starting to go south (they closed the one here). It's what led me to switch to Netflix, but maybe it has been resolved since then. I did prefer it to Netflix overall, so I was disappointed when I started having issues with it.

4. gigi

gigi Groupie

Nov 9, 2010

I have used Netflix for years and really haven't had any issues. I don't mind waiting for releases, and find that if there is a problem with a DVD they handle it right away. I had a movie come in the mail broken and they replaced it right away no questions.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 9, 2010

Blockbuster has declared bankruptcy.

I'd avoid them.

6. gigi

gigi Groupie

Nov 9, 2010

That's right! We have no movie stores around us but a I do remember seeing a Blockbuster in a neighboring town showing a going out of business sign.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2010

We've used Netflix... some are a little slower... but I'm amazed how quick some of the new releases get to you. I mean like the movie came out Tuesday & we've had it either Wed or Thurs!!!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 9, 2010

I've been a member of BB for numerous yrs & w/ their Access program pretty much since it started. I like how you can also go into the store to exchange w/ something you had gotten in the mail. Then they still automatically send out the next thing on your queue list even if you have something checked out from the store. I have the cheapest plan you can get. For $13/mo, I get 1 DVD at a time, but as many as I can watch are sent in a month. You can even suspend your monthly fee from 1 to 3 mos if you're going to be on vacation for example.

I've tried Netflix's free trail, but don't know much more about it.

With BOTH, the next thing on your list comes pretty fast after you send back the previous thing.

9. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Nov 9, 2010

Blockbuster: I used a free trial. When it was up, or shortly before, I went to cancel it. They charged me anyway. Boo to them! I had to fight them for my money back.

Netflix: Tried them. 1/2 my DVD's were all scratched up and I had to stop mid movie in order to get new ones. Never got one of my movies in the mail and they tried charging me for it. Boo to them too.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2010

I prefer Netflix, especially now that they have streaming movies through your Wii.

We also still order real DVDs, and we've never had a problem with them being scratched or broken or unwatchable.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2010

My gram had one, but it was an "older" a few years old movie, that was scratched!!!

Caesar with really like the streaming... wish they were a little newer though, but we can't have it all!!?!? LOL!!!

12. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Nov 9, 2010

Never tried BB but love having Netflix especially the instant streaming through Wii. We have occasionally received damaged discs but Netflix quickly resolves the issue.

13. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Nov 9, 2010

I have bb. I used it and then had to place it on hold, but I am back with it. I don't mind it, and they do have video games as a rental too. I haven't usedi t, but my husband will love that. I caught up with desperate housewives, dawsons creek, and greys anamoty by renting the seasons. the one thing Ihave noticed is that they do have a larger selection than netflix

i love that i can order movies that relate to social studies, and no one else has them.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2010

I've only had Netflix so I can't really compare the two. I did want to say, though, that I love having Netflix. I love being able to watch instantly on my laptop and even on my iphone in bed or on road trips!!!! I LOVE that!

I've only received one movie that kept skipping. They sent another one right away, no probs there.

I'm driving down to San Luis Obispo county and I plan to put on a movie to listen to on the way. :)

15. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2010

Had BB a few years back, but it took forever to get the next dvd in the mail. Billing issues, being overcharged, wouldn't let us cancel, etc.

Love my Netflix! I watch on the Wii in the bedrom while DH watches on his xbox in the living room. We're addicted!