online applications

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mom2teach, Jun 30, 2013.

1. mom2teach

mom2teach Rookie

Jun 30, 2013

Ok...so I just received my Praxis scores a few weeks ago and immediately started applying for jobs in my area. Since then my license has been issued and I am adjusting my online application as I go along. So my questions about online apps....

1-our district says if you want to attach any documents you can, but does not require. I have only been attaching my resume, should I be attaching a cover letter, praxis scores, teaching certificate? There are labels to pick what you are attaching and cover letter is NOT an option, so is it frowned upon?

2-Does the app go right to the principal when I apply, or will they see if I make changes? I miss understood the Highly Qualified status, and turns out instead of the one subject I thought I was HQ in I am actually HQ in 6. But I'm assuming even though I've made changes on my app, the jobs I applied for already will be missing that info.

3-I have started emailing the principals for the jobs I apply to, so they have my online app and then I send them my resume with a message similar to a cover letter...is there something else I should be including?

Thanks!!

3. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 30, 2013

I can't say what is better :(

I did get better results once I attached my teaching certificate and transcripts. Of course, I didn't have those, so I just created a microsoft document that stated "Applied for teaching certification on ___ and it is expected any day."

4. Global Teacher

Global Teacher Companion

Jun 30, 2013

1. It's generally best to include everything a recruiter might want to review initially. Otherwise the recruiter will have to ask for it and will likely prioritize candidates who have included everything. Attach everything you think is relevant.

Regarding the cover letter, make it the body of your application if you can. I can't imagine that there's nowhere relevant that you could paste it. If there isn't, this is probably an oversight on their part. Find somewhere to put it.

3. You could put everything you attached in your application into a .pdf file and attach it to emails you send to principals. This will make it more convenient for them to consider you. They won't have to open a database and search for you.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

I have uploaded my resume, cover letter, transcripts, licenses (even my out of state one because it is a Professional Certificate instead of the Provisional Certificate like my other one), and letters of recommendation. If they give an 'other' section, I also upload a recent evaluation and some training certificates.

As for what they see, it will depend on when they pull your application. If they pulled it before you added things, they will not likely pull it again. As long as the position is still open, you could always unclick the position, save it, and reclick it and resubmit it.

6. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 30, 2013

If it's an online system like we have here in Ga, then the online application goes into a database with HR. Anytime you update info, it updates in the entire system instantly. Anytime a P wants to see your credentials, they can click on your name as an applicant and see all your info. that is up to date. I will say, here in the county I live in....HR will only "approve" those candidates who upload all their attachments (certificates, etc..) so they can pre-verify they are eligible for employment before they release you into the database that P's access.