One week before school starts still no word

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by iharding, Aug 4, 2006.

1. iharding

iharding Companion

Aug 4, 2006

Well I have one week before school offically starts and I still haven't the slightest clue if I will even get a job this year. I have several people in the district mentioning my name and for what ever reason I still am not getting anywhere. I have applied at other districts and haven't heard anything from them either. This is my second year of this and I am really tired of it. Why is it that so many people out there that do have jobs at schools don't even like them and they won't leave? I mean some of them I know could retire if they wanted to but they don't want to get bored. Does anyone else find this selfish? I mean hey if you are a great teacher and you love what you do go ahead and work for as long as you can. I just feel like there are so many out there that don't even like it, and there are so many of us out here that want jobs.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2006

Bored or not, lots of people need money. I don't think it's selfish; it's a fact of life. (And how do you know they're bored?) But we've spent the past 6 years on one salary while I was home with the kids. The reason I'm going back to teaching while my youngest is only 3 (and taking a job from some new teacher) is because we can no longer afford to feed our family of 5 on just my husband's salary.

Why don't you throw on some professional clothes and hit the pavement (again) with resume in hand? If school starts next week, there will be people in all those offices. Stop by with your resume and a smile, and ask them to keep you in mind in the event of any last minute openings.

edited to add: But don't hit just those schools with openings listed!!! Things are VERY much in flux at the last minute. Someone may resign 10 minutes after you stop by. So go everywhere you can, and email the rest!!

4. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Aug 4, 2006

I know your feeling iharding, I have been applying all over too and it is frustrating not to hear anything. Where are you in IN? I am near Indy. Try searching schoolspring.com it is updated once a day and lists openings throughout the country. Just click on your state.

5. iharding

iharding Companion

Aug 4, 2006

Oh please don't misunderstand me

Aliceacc- I was referring to the teachers that told me that last year. They told me the only reason why they are still there is because they would be bored at home. They told me they could make it easily on their retirement check. They also are the same teachers that complained all year about how much they hated some of their kids. Like I said before if you like teaching keep with it. One of my favorite teachers was in her 70's when she taught me and she loved it and she was loved by all. I am just refering to the ones that don't need to be teaching and the ones that don't even like it. I am sorry if I upset you in anyway. I am very frustrated.

Lesley-- I am also near the Indy area, and thanks for the advice.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2006

You just never know what is going to come up. I was hired for my first permanent position (after 2 long-term supply jobs) one week after school started--was hired on a Monday and started Tuesday. In each of the 2 years I have been at my current school we hired teachers during the school year. Keep your chin up!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2006

No, I wasn't upset or offended. But sometimes comfort is mistaken for boredom. Apparently this isn't what you were talking about.

But I meant it about getting out there and hunting down the jobs. There are ALWAYS last minute changes. Having other people mention your name is NOT enough. Get your face out there. When someone quits this afternoon, be "that nice young teacher who just dropped off her resume." It has worked for so many people here-- give it a shot!

8. MillerJ

MillerJ Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

Still no word, or calls for me either. But, hopefully since I'm going to sub for 2 school districts that will get me in the door at least. The classroom experience will be a plus too (I don't have student teaching expereince).

I'm still searching for openings, but they are getting scarce as school begins in about a week and half here.

What irks me is the fresh grads, who know that they won't be teaching for more than a year or two, that are grabbing teaching positions. Another thing that is frustrating is seeing people who you know do not have a passion for teaching who are in the profession simply because they are stuck. That's life though!

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2006

Hang in there. I spent a week in a Training Course. ( I was the only non teaching teacher). I spoke to so many teachers who all said the same thing. It's just constantly sending out resume after resume and following up. I think it's kind of like a process of elimination- I figure I must be getting closer to something good at this point.

Practice creative visulization. Write and say a sentence such as I have a great teaching job.... you have to beleive it before you'll see it. I'm not crazy either... if you saw my fridge... it's just one big affirmation:D

10. jennabar

jennabar Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

The area I am in is similar also. A lot of retirement age teachers. They are wonderful teachers and just not ready to retire. My parents taught for 37 years and were afraid to retire because they were not sure what to expect.

In my area 2 teachers decided just this last week to retire. So there is still hope.

11. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Aug 4, 2006

Things change rapidly this time of year. People move and don't register their kids until the first day of school. Our school system registers the week before classes begin so keep watching for postings! That is what I am doing!

12. iharding

iharding Companion

Aug 9, 2006

Thanks for the uplifting words. I had another interview today. I think it went o.k. it ended up being for preschool though. It means less pay but right now I will take anything. I am supposed to hear something tonight.

13. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Aug 9, 2006

Hopefully it will be what you want to hear.

I had a call for an interview at a school, but it turned out to be 45 minutes from my house one way, not including traffic and then when the snow flies, it will be longer. I had to call back and cancel the interview-that crushed me- (the principal did not even know the schools address or I could have checked it out while talking with her on the telephone) if I did not have the 5 kids at home I wouldn't mind driving it. I think there have been a total of a dozen posted elementary positions around here. A fourth grade position posted yesterday, I sent my material via e-mail as soon as I saw it and within 5 minutes the principal emailed back that it was already filled. Wish they would not post when they know who they want to hire.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2006

We'll keep our fingers crossed!

15. MrsRich219

MrsRich219 Companion

Aug 9, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!!!

16. iharding

iharding Companion

Aug 10, 2006

Well I still didn't get a call yet and now the school that I worked as an aid at last year is going to be upset because they don't know if they should fill my position or not.

17. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Aug 10, 2006

That is frustrating isn't it? Hopefully you will hear something before noon today.

18. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2006

I've still gotten zilch- one more year of trying and then we'll see, I think God is trying to give me a hint.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2006

I think so too: "The right job hasn't come up yet, hang in there!!"

20. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Aug 11, 2006

iharding, any news yet?

21. iharding

iharding Companion

Aug 11, 2006

Well yesterday I gave up waiting and called the principal. I needed to know so that I could tell the people that I worked for last year what I was doing. So anyway they are both in the same district and they talk to each other so I figured the information between the two had already been shared. The principal that I interviewed with ended up telling me that I needed to let the other principal know that I wouldn't be coming back this year. I apparently either am going to be a preschool teacher or a kindergarten teacher they are just waiting on the go ahead and they are waiting to see what building I will be at. So to make a long story short I HAVE A JOB!! I am so excited. School for Kindergarten starts next week but preschool doesn't start until the 21st. I hope I hear more today so I can start planning.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2006

YAYYYY Congratulations!!

23. iharding

iharding Companion

Aug 11, 2006

Thank you

24. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 11, 2006

That's great news! Congrats!

25. iharding

iharding Companion

Aug 11, 2006

Well I got the call I have been waiting on!! I am a Title One Kindergarten teacher. I am so excited. Now I just have to figure out how to even start setting up my classroom. I don't have a clue where to start. The best part is that the school is brand new. The only problem is that I don't have anything to look at just yet to help me figure out what to do yet. I guess only time will tell. Wait, I don't have time. The first teacher day is MONDAY!!

26. Chiquiti

Chiquiti Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

Congratulations iharding, you're going to make a great teacher!!!

27. iharding

iharding Companion

Aug 11, 2006

Thank you so much. I really love this site and the people that message on it. It really has been a long summer of waiting and it is great to always have so many happy and nice and welcoming people to talk to!

28. misscyteach

misscyteach Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

I'm very happy for you iharding. You will LOVE Kindergarten. I taught Kinder for two years in a Title 1 school...the children are delightful! Have fun.

29. misscyteach

misscyteach Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

Lesley: Thanks for the Schoolspring.com website...I've been using Edjoin.org but that's for California....so your's will help me look at other states! Thanks again.

30. misscyteach

misscyteach Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

MissFrizzle: what do you think God is trying to tell you? I took an office job with a Christian because I thought maybe God had a different direction for me...but I was not happy there....so now I'll go back to subbing....after I visit Utah to see if God has something there for me. Just wondering what you were thinking....

31. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2006

Congrats on your job!!! I taught kindergarten my first year and LOVED it. I hope you have the same happiness in your classroom:) You'll be great!!!

32. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Aug 11, 2006

I taught Title I Math last year.....USE THE RESOURCES THEY GIVE YOU. People don't utilize what Title I has to offer. I think Kindergarten would be a blast. Have a great year and good luck setting up that room!

33. iharding

iharding Companion

Aug 11, 2006

Well I don't have anything yet to use. The meetings are all on Monday so I guess I will find out what to use then. I brought in the little stuff that I had and now I feel so overwhelmed.