One way to raise scores and improve discipline

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bandnerdtx, Aug 15, 2008.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 15, 2008

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 15, 2008

OMG! This is just unbelievable. I'm scared of guns. It would be my luck I'd shoot my own foot!

4. Happy Chatter

Happy Chatter Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

OMGGGGGGGG! this is when socio- cultural influences have gone too far.....there will be tears call me sentimental.

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2008

There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with that! Lets just let the teachers bring guns to school and umm... then who is setting the example for the students! UGHHHHHH...

6. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 15, 2008

wow - I can't believe that I just read that. Unbelivable! I know that the idea of school shootings is scary, buut surely there is a better answer then teachers carrying guns. I don't care whether they are comfortable with them or not - there is way too much potential for problems with a policy like that.

What is our world coming to?

7. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2008

I would love to sub in this school district.... :eek::eek:
    I'm a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment.

Major....:):)

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 15, 2008

I have a serious problem with that. There are 110 kids in the district and 50 teachers. They are just being super precautionary, and it's not necessary! With that ratio they should KNOW every child and just know the signs to watch out for IF there was a kid with a problem. It's just so unlikely, statistically. What they should do if they are so worried is move the sheriff station a little closer. Jeeze.

9. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 15, 2008

Did anyone read the comments that followed the article and the thumbs up and thumbs down vote for each comment?Most people seemed to support the people who wrote in in support of this proposal.If it has come to this maybe we need to work harder on discipline and school safety in our schools.

10. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2008

So, wait, this is a problem why? Teachers legally owning, permitting and carrying guns as adults is the wrong message to show kids?

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2008

:eek:hmy: I could maybe see this in an inner-city school district but not a rural district like this one seems to be.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 15, 2008

I'm a card carrying member of the NRA, but, I still don't think guns belong in schools. I could see a trained security force, or, as in my district, a school police force, but there's too much that can go wrong. What happens if a teacher accidentally leaves a weapon somewhere a kid can get to it? What happens if a kid attacks a teacher with the express purpose of getting the weapon? One of my best friends is a cop, and she's had several situations where the perp she was wrestling with (in order to arrest them) have gone for her gun. She's nearly been killed several times, and she's a highly trained police officer.

I could go with a trained security force...even one that included teachers, but I wouldn't even take my own weapons to school, even if I was allowed to, unless I had undergone extensive training in the use (or non-use) of deadly force. I think, in the case of inner city schools, this is even MORE important. I also think, that if it has gotten that bad (and it has), that trained security force should be trained in the use of tasers, which are, in general, non-leathal.

13. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 15, 2008

Reminds me of the Heywood Banks song "You never know who's got a gun" :D

But in all seriousness, if some whack job busted into the school, I'd rather have a trained professional with a gun at the ready. If he or she is also a teacher, so be it.

Tasers would be good too....

14. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 15, 2008

No way!!!! I guess if it is that bad there. I do not think I could carry a gun maybe mace but not a gun. I am not scared of a gun I grew up shooting one but, I would never want to bring it into the school setting.

15. Ms_B

Ms_B Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

My big problem with this is that is has been proven that when schools crack down-or appear to be unsafe student moral deteriorates and problem behavior escalates.

I agree with the above posters that the school district should do something less drastic such as hiring a school police force.

I am a firm believe in Positive Behavior Support (PBS). PBS has been implemented in the heart of the urban jungle in California where it is not uncommon for gang shootings to occur in and around the school campuses on a regular basis. By implemented PBS some of the toughest and most unsafe schools in California have become safe places. Guns and gun detectors creates an atmosphere of fear, you must create an atmosphere of encouragement and safety. If you do not know what PBS is I strongly recommend everyone looks it up-I believe it is the system that is going to turn around American schools. It promotes encouragement, and teaching and reteaching of desired behavior.

That's my two cents worth :)

16. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Aug 15, 2008

The same CRAP that happens in inner city areas happens in rural areas too, maybe not as much!!!! Now one is immune from it now. It is everywhere.

17. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2008

If my school is in "lock down" mode because a killer is loose in the hall ...... bent on killing as many kids and teachers as possible ..... then I want to be armed with something other than a number two pencil... :eek::eek:

Having said that I know that many people are totally incapable (mentally) of protecting themselves or those around them .... and it wouldn't matter how they are armed... :(:(

Hopefully everyone will be safe this year.

Major...:love:

18. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Aug 15, 2008

Good point. It is one thing to be armed with a concealed gun but a different matter using it under stress with accuracy.

A police officer visited my class some time back to discuss bicycle safety and laws. A question from student, "When you use your gun, do you aim to kill or just wound, like shoot them in the leg?"

PO, "I aim for the chest. Out on the range when everyone is calm and practicing it's easy to hit a leg on a target. In a real life situation, adrenaline takes over. You may aim for a leg and end up hitting them in the chest anyway."

19. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

According to research, school shootings are actually decreasing and this is without teachers carrying guns. I can legally drink alcohol, but I don't carry a six pack around with me at work. Just because something is a legal right, doesn't mean it is good practice.

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 15, 2008

This is why I would have no problems with a TRAINED security force. That force could include teachers. I said before that I'm a member of the NRA and own several weapons. I also have a permit to carry concealed, and do carry everywhere else except school. I have a smallish lock box bolted in the trunk of my car where I lock the one I prefer to carry when I'm going places where I can't have it on me (I do take it out and leave it at home on school days). I'm a very pro-handgun kinda gal.

The problem is, though, that using a weapon under pressure is very different from using it on a target range. There are all kinds of things you have to think of, from wether or not deadly force is appropriate, to wether or not you can actually hit your target without hitting any innocent bystanders in the process, and you have less than a second to make those very important decisions. That is where training comes in. If we had something like this, the people given permits to carry at school should undergo training in both handgun use, and in non-leathal, de-escalation techniques. The courses required should be no less intense than those parts of police training. Anything less would be asking for a tragic accident.

21. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 15, 2008

I agree. Tasers would be a better choice.

22. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2008

According to the people I know (LEO's and the district attorney .. and his staff) the proper response when shooting in self defense is "to stop the threat"....... not to kill or injure....... That's what I teach people (mostly women) in my personal defense classes....... Stay safe...

Major......:)

23. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

All officers I've spoken with have said if you shoot, shoot to kill. You are using lethal force to stop lethal force. The thought of shooting someone to simply wound them, seems bizarre to me.

That being said, I'm completely opposed to guns in schools, but I can see tasers being used by well trained (yearly) individuals.

Luckily, school shootings are EXTREMELY rare, no matter what the media would like us to believe. You are more likely to get hit by lightening or bitten by a shark.

(edit to change "buy" to "by")

24. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2008

As a "citizen" you shoot to stop the threat .... not to kill....... LEO's may have more latitude.... I would never recomend someone shooting to "wound" but to shoot to stop the threat... :):)

25. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

I just don't understand why you would shoot, unless you thought your were going to be shot at (and in that case, you would try to render the shooter harmless). I would never shoot someone to stop them from threatening me. There are other ways to get that accomplished.

26. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2008

You are shooting to stop the "threat"..... and in this case you believe the "threat" (i.e. the "bad guy") intends to kill you or cause serious bodily injury....... :)

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 15, 2008

I have actually pulled my weapon twice...and fired once. The time that I fired, I was alone in my parents house with 4 kids under the age of 5 asleep in their bedrooms. I looked out the window and there was this HUGE man peering in through the window. My parents live in the country (or as country as miami can get...there's an area called Redland that is all farm and agri-business). Their house is in the middle of a 5 acre property, with a 1000foot driveway leading to the house from the nearest street. There is NO reason, except for somebody up to no good, for anybody to be anywhere near that house. I pulled my 9mm out of my ankle holster and fired through the window...then called 911. When they caught the guy he had several weapons, duct tape and rope. If I called 911 first, chances are I would have been dead before the cops could have arrived. I hit him in the shoulder, but it wasn't a fatal shot. I have absolutely NO regrets for my actions.

28. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

Strictly out of curiousty, when was the other time you pulled your weapon?

29. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 15, 2008

I nearly got mugged in downtown Miami. A bunch of thugs with knives tried to grab me...I had the glock in a back holster at the time and as soon as I pulled it the thugs ran, screaming "she's got a gun, run for it.". They were running, so I didn't fire.

Edited to add: I know the next question will be what do I carry....

I own a colt45 (1911 gold cup), a magnum 357 revolver, but my favorite is my Glock model 19, 9mm. That's the one I carry.

30. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 15, 2008

I personally own many weapons and carry wherever I go except school and where they are not allowed. I would not see a problem with this as long as the teachers were trained in firearms. I personally have taken many classes in Fire Arms, I was an Army Captain and have taken courses since. (Major I am currently working to become a fire arms instructor, too!). I have fired my Colt 911 once, when 20 years ago when I was a lawyer a former client arrived at my house with a buldge in his pocket. I was there with my wife and shot him in the arm when he went for his weapon.

31. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2008

Sooooooooo glad you weren't hurt... I own several dozen handguns but my favorite concealed carry gun is a Glock Model 23...... which as you probably know is a .40 caliber ... and is a twin to the Glock M19... mmswm, there are millions who could benefit from your story.......:hugs::hugs::hugs:

32. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 15, 2008

That's what I carry, I like the stopping power of it, lol.

33. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 15, 2008

I've taken multiple courses in gun safety/use. I get out to the range about twice a month to practice, and, if I'm lucky, my friend the cop takes me with her to the police range so I can practice rapid fire (which isn't allowed in any of the public ranges around here). I would be totally confident in my abilities given aditional training in crisis management. I'm just a layperson who happens to love guns and shooting. I've never been in the military or anything else where I could have recieved that sort of training, but I would go through it in a heartbeat.

34. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 15, 2008

I want a glock 23, but I can't afford to buy anything "frivolous" at the moment. The 9mm is my favorite because it's my oldest. My dad bought it for me for my 18th birthday and it was the first gun I had that was truely "mine". I'm the most comfortable with that one. I know it well, so that's the one I choose to carry.