One thing is going right

Discussion in 'General Education' started by giraffe326, Sep 10, 2014.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2014

I've seemed to have won a few parents over already. Can't beat that on the 7th day of school!

One student was in my face and yelling at me on Monday. He had asked for help in math (we were doing exponents) and he didn't have a single thing on his paper. I am very big about TRYING before asking. No attempt? Not helping yet. He had very detailed notes telling him exactly what to do, not to mention his book. He didn't even pull it out of his desk to look at. I asked him to several times while I was circulating the room. I went up to the front to do something and he came up to me asking for help. I even offered him my notes, explaining how if I told him, he wouldn't remember as well as if he tried. Once he tries, I will help. Things escalated, he got in my face and screamed at me, broke and threw pencils, and knocked over a chair. I (obviously) sent him to the office. I sent his mom an email since I knew she was at work and I couldn't stay after school to call. In the email, I told her that as far as I am concerned, it is over. I just want to avoid a situation like that again.
    Today, we were doing the Order of Operations. He asked me if his answer was right. He told me he didn't think so, but he got out his notes and used them. (;)) Well, his answer was right. He went on to get 10 or so correct. I talked to him about how proud I was of him, how smart he is, we talked about how it feels better to figure it out and how he understands it better this way, too. I sent his mom an email telling her what a great day he had. She sent me the nicest email back about how she can tell that I care about my students, how we need more teachers like me, how happy she is that I'm working with him (instead of holding a grudge over his behavior). This is a parent that was extremely stand-offish at open house. :thumb:

Another student has been struggling with math so far, and his mom didn't know how to do it, either. I've been teaching her via email (with a short video clip thrown in). I got a sweet email from her tonight about how grateful she is that I'm taking the time to help and that her son did much better with today's assignment. :thumb:

I also received a random text message this morning. It was from a grandparent of one of my kindergarteners. (I gave out my phone number to the chaperones on our field trip.) She said how she's been thinking of me, how she hopes everything is OK (since I resigned), how her grandson still talks about me every day, how good I was for him, etc... This is coming from a women I met during me demo lesson. She told the P that she didn't like me. Her grandson is severely ADHD and my structure really helped him. She was praising me withing 3 weeks or so of taking over that class. Anyway, I thought that was very kind of her to check up on me.

So, while I feel like each school day is the longest ever and no one is learning anything because I'm dealing with so many behavior problems, it is nice to hear good things :)

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2014

Wow....great day!

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 10, 2014

I bet that mom has a long history of teachers who do hold grudges. For you to care means the world!! Great job-glad things are settling in for you! :hugs:

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2014

Love hearing stories like these!!

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2014

That´s so nice to hear! I think it really does make a difference to have our hard work and dedication acknowledged.

7. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Sep 12, 2014

giraffe I love the story about the student learning to try to figure it out on his own first!! That's so awesome. :) Capitalize on that! It is the kind of thing that will turn the class around.

Good luck!

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 12, 2014

Love it!