one step forward, two steps back

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sevenplus, Aug 13, 2007.

1. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2007

I went in my room last week and arranged furniture. I showed up today with a list of things to accomplish, ready to get the room in order, materials out, everything hung up, etc. Fifteen minutes after arriving my principal came down and said she wanted the painters to paint my room. :eek: After consulting with the painters, they said they would start Wednesday and it would probably take 3 days.

So instead of doing my room today, I ended up taking down things that I had left up (including some huge things that were really a pain to put up) and pulling everything off of my shelves so they can paint those, too.

I am really happy to be starting the year with a fresh coat of paint, but it just didn't feel right taking things down today instead of putting them up. And now I won't get into my room until NEXT WEEK! :woot:

3. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 13, 2007

That is a bummer, sevenplus!

4. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Aug 13, 2007

I know how you feelhad that

problem last week-so I had to spend all day today getting things organized and put away

5. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 13, 2007

Yikes! Aren't they supposed to do that sort of maintenance in the early summer? Before we go back to get ready for the year?

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 13, 2007

I'm right there with you. I set up my entire class, then decided to paint. If I can get approved to paint, I will have to take everything I set up down! Not looking forward to all the work- I am looking forward to clean, freshly painted shelves.

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 13, 2007

You would think so, wouldn't you??

They just painted my room last week, but it only took 2 days so it wasn't too bad!

8. aautismj

aautismj Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

Paint is the least of my problems!! Since I have a new class and there are no more classrooms they are "building" my classroom (building walls into an existing classroom) and its not done yet!! On top of that I had to order all new furniture which they told me wont be in until at least 2 days before school!! I hope things work out!

9. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 13, 2007

Ahhh that sucks. I just got into my room last week after the summer being off limits due to Abestos removal. Now I'm just waiting for the custodians to remove the unwanted furniture. I really hope it is all gone by Friday, but I highly doubt it. I'm considering move it all into the hall, because I've already left a note for them and nothing has been done.

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 13, 2007

Look at it as a forced vacation day. Somehow or other, everything ends up being ready for the first day of school. Take your planning materials outside, get a beach chair, a tall cool drink, and plan plan plan! You can take some restful planning days with no guilt! Lucky!!

11. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2007

Good idea bonneb, I say take the vacation days! I was planning on getting into my classroom today, but I can't get back in the building until Wednesday, and I'm actually kind of relieved...I have a little more time to get some things done! Good luck!

12. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2007

The painters work year-round. We get them in our building once every 4 years. Last time they were in our building (4 years ago) it was in the middle of the school year. Actually, in the middle of the school year in the winter and I was pg and was pretty upset about the paint fumes. They would paint your classroom if you wanted, but who wants to clear out of their classroom (plus take everything down) in the middle of the school year?

It's a big district. What can I say? They can't paint every school building at times convenient for us.

I probably should have taken a "vacation day" but I putzed around in my classroom and then went out shopping for new book tubs and supply baskets. I'm going in again tomorrow. Probably won't be too productive, but I figure I can put up my bulletin boards.

I'll take vacation days Thursday and Friday probably. Although I won't relax too much. I'm itching to get in there and get it done!

I'm sure the fresh coat of paint will be worth it when it's all said and done.

13. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Aug 14, 2007

I'm glad our district didn't pain this year, although the fresh paint would have been nice, at least I didn't have to take everything down!