One Step Forward, Five Steps Back

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by teacherkasey, Nov 6, 2002.

1. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Nov 6, 2002

Does anyone else out there ever feel like when they take one step forward, something happens to set them five steps back???? Maybe it's the horrible weather we've been having, but I really felt like that today. In my other post I talked about never having enough time to work with my kids one-on-one. I am also frustrated because of my working situation. I am a second year KG teacher and love being able to develop my own curriculum. But because I am new to teaching I spend a lot of time looking up ideas on the internet and through resource books for lesson ideas and activities. I also spend a lot of time at the public library getting books for my class. I absolutely LOVE doing all of this because it is all worth it when I see my children's faces light up because they are learning and enjoying it. I wouldn't give it up for the world.

However, I feel so stressed out because of the person I "team teach" with. She has a masters in ECE but need A LOT of help with lesson plans, finding ideas, etc. and is always asking my opinion, looking for approval for every thing she does. I am trying my best to do what I can for her but a lot of the time I just get overwhelmed because I feel I was put in the position of "mentoring" this person when I am still learning things myself. I'm trying to be supportive of this person to the extent that I know how to but I'm stressed! Thanks for listening to me vent. I just needed to get all that out. If you've had an experience like this please give me some hints on how to get through this!!!!:eek:

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 6, 2002

Hi. You sound like a wonderful teacher, one who enjoys digging out resources and planning how to use them. Don't let the other teacher get you down. I haven't personally experienced your situation, but have seen it in action. Just keep doing what you are doing - but don't even try to mentor the other teacher. You will be doing a world of good by modeling what you do. This is only for one year, right? You won't be stuck with this person next year, I hope. It sounds heartless, but focus on yourself and your development as a teacher.