One on One vs. Guided Reading

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by JamieLeigh, Nov 26, 2010.

1. JamieLeigh

JamieLeigh Rookie

Nov 26, 2010

This year, I have about 5 students who are well below grade level. They have made a lot of improvement, but they still have a long way to go. They all have various needs. My question is, with students like this, is it better to pull them for 20 minutes as a small group, or pull them one-on-one for about five minutes each? Even though I wouldn't be spending as much time with them, I wonder if I could better meet their needs this way. Just wanted some opinions...thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 26, 2010

If they are really very diverse, it is either best to pull one-on-one if you have the stamina and power. However, you may consider regrouping for strategies and skills. Maybe these low kids have some of the same needs as your higher students. Then you could form a group.

If administration asks, tell them you are using reading conferencing or reader's workshop because this is what you are doing with you lowest ones.

4. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Nov 26, 2010

I would try to form them into a group, as hard as it may be. Then if one is really behind the rest, I would try to work with that child one on one as much as possible, until they catch up with the rest of the group. It will be much easier for you to teach them the strategies together (because they are all going to need those strategies). The part of the guided reading lesson where they all read individually out loud (at their own speed) is the part of the lesson you will be able to work one on one with each student. I really like Jan Richardson's guided reading plan for those lower kids!

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 26, 2010

I think they would definitely benefit from the one-on-one instruction. I do that with my low kids sometimes. I find that they aren't generally paying attention very long during guided reading activities anyway. This way you could also use that time to assess progress with just that child as well.