One of those days - nerves are on overdrive with stress from school

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Mar 8, 2011

Misery loves company, I guess, who else is on edge?

I sent home some possible retention letters on Friday and I've been a ball of nerves ever since. Oh the worry! Have I failed these kids, or have they failed themselves by not doing the work? Have I done enough? What else can I do? Are parents going to blame me? The questions keep coming...

Last year I had one student go to summer school and he ended up being retained but the parent was 'on my side' because she knew how far behind her son was and how little he tried. She thought it was best for him to get a wake up call and repeat 5th grade. But this year there isn't summer school due to budget cuts, and the state tests are 46 short days away. I have 3 kids that aren't going to pass those tests, no matter what. They will just never pull it off. Without summer school these kids are going to be retained if I can't get them to keep their grades up. They were maintaining that crucial C average until a few weeks ago when they all started tanking. Now they are looking at low D's and F's, even. My heart aches for them - I must be doing something wrong. But then I start thinking...they don't do their homework, don't pay attention, don't really try. One of these students is ESL...she wants to do well, but her fluency and vocab are so far behind her peers. There's so much lost ground, I don't even know where to begin.

Last night before bed I was setting my alarm on my cell phone when my mom called. The ring of my phone and the vibrate setting almost sent me flying off the bed. I'm so tense! Days like this I think it's not worth all the stress and fear....:unsure:

3. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Mar 8, 2011

I'm on edge too..I have some kids who I don't think are going to be low enough for retention, but I know they're going to struggle in first grade, so I'm working as hard as I can to get them up. Our district is going through a school consolidation, and there's a lot of drama and tension going on there (not for me, per se,since I'm a non-perm and they'll place me where they'll place me), but it still rubs off on you....spring break is coming up and my kids are getting soooo antsy, especially in the afternoon..I get evaluated the wednesday before spring break, so I hope they can hold it together. My p. is observing my guided reading groups, which is nice because you're working with a small group and can focus solely and them and the whole class. I will have an aide to monitor the rest of the class, so I hope this is a day where they are really on it...I feel your pain..

4. Securis

Securis Cohort

Mar 8, 2011

I ask this of myself all the time and the answers I come up with are mostly frustrating. I hate it but every so often, I'm forced to let go my worries about students and focus on myself. If you're in distress then you most likely aren't helping anyone. That's how I feel.

5. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2011

I've often wondered if a kid can't do 5th grade work .... how are they going to cope with the 6th, 7th and 8th grades??

The district I sub in automatically bumps kids up to the next level .... no matter how they perform.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2011

Major~that's been what has happened here as well. It's a shame.

Pisces~:hugs: I know how you feel. Last year every junior passed every exit level test. I'm not sure if my group of juniors will pass. I have tried everything I know to help them out, but they just aren't willing to do the work. Of course, part of me thinks this is my fault as well. I have to let go of that feeling because when it comes down to it, it is their responsibility.

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Mar 8, 2011

I see your point, but I feel with 3rd grade it's different. Of the 3 kids I know will never pass, all 3 have no help at home. One child's family doesn't speak English, so as much as she tries she is failing. The other 2 have parents (one is a guardian, actually) that don't help them at home, or see they do their homework or even get to bed at a reasonable hour.

I think 8 years old is on the edge of being able to be help completely responsible for passing without help. I don't know...

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2011

Me, too.

Between teaching my regular units, grading papers, keeping up with lesson plans, doing data analysis, trying to implement RtI procedures on which we've had no training, conferences, meetings, phone calls, emails, trying to fit in test prep (and the data on the prep), attempting to give extra help to my bottom quartile, completing my own homework for two ESL courses I'm required to complete by the end of the year (upon pain of firing... and they only told us in October), horrible allergies turned to sinus infection, and housework, I'm completely and totally whipped.

And then we were asked to tutor students projected to not pass the FCAT four days a week after school.

I wish I could be jumpy right now - I'm just numb to everything going on.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 8, 2011

I'm in the last day of my Spring Break and it couldn't have come at a better time. We are 2 weeks away from the first part of LEAP and a month away from the rest of the test. The stress is getting tough. The hard thing for us and the LEAP is that they are actually tested on everything they've learned from 1st to now. so, if they don't get it before me, I have to teach that along with everything else. I've got a weak group this year (9 ELA sped or rather 8 and 1 in process). I've got 10 kids in Intensive and 7 in strategic. Only 7 kids benchmarked. I'm worried, much more than in the past. There's the added pressue of the fact that our sped (as a subgroup) didn't meet their growth goal last year. If our kids this year don't, we become a school of choice even though we have a pretty good school performance score (99). So, there's a lot of added pressure. In addition, Louisiana decided, in their infinite wisdom, to add 5 T kids. These are kids who didn't pass teh LEAP in 4th or summer school, but had no unsat in ELA or Math. They move on to 5th, but still have to take and pass the LEAP. Not only do they have to make App Basic + Basic for ELA and math, but they have to make at least App Basic in science and social studies. So, I've got our 5 T boys (all behavior issues) coming to me for social studies because they won't get what they need in 5th grade social studies. They'll also test in my room. So I'll have to control their behvior while trying to support my kids during the test. (Geez, the more I type, the more stressed I get, so I'm stopping now! lol)

10. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2011

I'm in NC, too--I wonder if you're in my district! I have some parents.....well.....let's just say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree! I requested a valium dispenser in the teacher's lounge! LOL!