One of the teachers at school fell the other day and broke his wrist.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aliceacc, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2011

He was putting up lights in his home and slipped off the ladder.

A shame, but no BIG deal, right??

Except that he's deaf, and the's the ESL teacher. I'm sincerely hoping that either it's not the hand he uses to sign (his left I presume??) or that he's somehow about to use the other hand.

Otherwise, forget about teaching, he's going to have trouble communicating.

It's like me having laryngitis for 6 weeks, or however long it takes to heal.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2011

:(

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2011

Poor guy! Hopefully he can make some very great signs or PowerPoints to help him teach.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 4, 2011

Signing is two handed but there is a dominant hand. Especially if it is his dominant hand it will cause him major frustration but overall, he'll still be able to communicate. I've known other deaf people who broke their arms, hand, shoulder, whatever. It's doable as long as he has one hand, but again--it will be aggravating to say the least and take a little time to get used to it. Many signs can be understood when modified and often people use other props to help act as the other hand if they need it for certain signs. Then there is fingerspelling for any words that might be really unclear. It'll slow him down a bit but it won't knock him out of the running for whole time. Poor guy.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2011

And I can't even begin to know how he'll TEACH ASL.

Fortunately, we have 10 teaching days before Christmas vacation.

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 4, 2011

We had a guy that was hit on his bike. He broke BOTH his wrists. While he could fully communicate, he was unable to do the most minor of tasks, including going to the bathroom during the school day. Who was going to unbutton his pants and pull them down? Everything was a challenge. But he came back to work and wore his special braces for his wrists and the kids were super with helping him. It was trying, but he survived. It is amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it. Sending prayers to your friend and hope things work out!

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 4, 2011

It might actually help them really attend better! They will likely empathize and they will really have to think about what he is saying. There might be some that might struggle. He'll definitely have to try different teaching tricks to pull through. Those first 10 days of teaching before the break are bound to be the roughest, but also potentially inspiring too. Thank goodness you have a break coming up soon!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2011

Oh, they adore Dan! And he teaches Juniors and Seniors-- they're old enough to cope, and to empathize when something is out of the ordinary.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 4, 2011

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for him! I'm quite certain your students will rise to the occasion in helping him through the recovery process. :)

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 4, 2011

I'm glad it is simple break that will heal in six weeks. It could always be worse.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2011

Oh, I'm just guestimating his recovery time. All I know is what happened; I covered one of his classes on Friday and the assignment was on the email he sent in with the explanation.

13. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Dec 4, 2011

As cut 'n' glue said, he should be able to communicate quite effectively. I knew a man who had very bad arthritis but everyone was able to understand his modified signs.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2011

I spoke to Dan yesterday. It seems he also bruised some ribs-- and was in a lot of pain!

I had a bit of trouble understanding it, but it sounds as though the was putting lights up on the roof, on a ladder, when he fell.

He's able to move his hand a bit; it's actually the ribs that seem to hurt more.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 7, 2011

Ouch. Looks like he will be down for the count most of the holidays.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2011

Oh, he's back at work. I don't know how he's managing in the classroom, but he's at work.

We have tomorrow off (Feast of the Immaculate Conception) followed by school Friday, a full week of classes, then one more day. Then it's trimester exams.

So at least he has only 7 more teaching days before he gets a break.

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 8, 2011

I don't see how either!