One of my second graders doesn't know how to count on

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Peachyness, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2010

I am at a loss as to what else I can do to help her. We have been working on our addition facts and she is my only second grader in both of my math groups that's struggling with her ones because she can't count on. Like if it's 1+3 she will say something like 7 or 9. She can count and write in consecutive order, but only starting with 1 or 0. I spoke with her first grade teacher and she said she tried everything with her. I started touch math, but it's not working. Any ideas??

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Oct 7, 2010

I have several students like this. I'm going to end up referring them because this isn't the only problem they are having in class.....

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2010

Can she do it with counters? I would just use lots of hands-on for a long time.

Have her make the problem with different color counters (or whatever you have), then add them together by counting. Keep it concrete for her. And yes, maybe see if you have a math intervention for her.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2010

Thanks. I am her math intervention teacher, actually. :) I'll try the counters again and just keep working with her.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 7, 2010

I'm focusing on the part about she can't count unless she starts with 1. By 2nd grade, that really shouldn't be a struggle! I think that that needs to be her next step, even before getting with the counting-on part of addition... I'm thinking what she needs to practice is finding the next number... you say 15, what comes next? You say 5, what comes next? Maybe using a number line for a while until that part becomes automatic... then go back to the addition!

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2010

I would see if she can count a set of objects and then tell you that it is three objects. The one-one correlation may not have developed yet and this could be causing some of the frustration.

Many struggling students can count the items but then cannot answer the question how many items are there.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2010

Hmmm well strange... She passed her 1's test today.... I will work with her on Monday and try clarnets idea.

9. queenie

queenie Groupie

Oct 8, 2010

I have a student with the same issue. Instead of counters, I taught him to draw lines over each number in the equation and then just count them all. For example, if the equation is 4 + 5, he draws 4 lines over the 4, 5 lines over the 5, and then counts them all up. After a week of doing this, he's doing about a third of the problems without the lines! I think it works like counters that he has available all the time and he is now only using them as needed. I don't what made me think to suggest it, but it's working for him!