One of my little sweeties is moving away! Boo Hoo!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by kinderkids, Dec 13, 2006.

1. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2006

:( I found out today that a little boy in my class is going to be moving, and his last day with us will be on December 22nd. I'm heart broken! He is such an adorable little boy and EVERYONE loves him. I would like to put together something special for him and am looking for ideas from all of you. I thought a picture/scrap book type of deal, but I don't have much time to pull things together with all the Christmas activities. Also, I am not sure when to tell the kids in the class......we are a very close knit group, and I know this will be difficult for all of us.
    Suggestions and ideas, please! Thanks!:love:

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2006

I'm so sorry...I know how devastating it can be when a special student moves away. What about taking a digital picture of each of the students and having them write their name and a short "good-bye". You could then put the pages together into a little book. Or, for something faster, take 2 class pictures (one straight and one "goofy"), mounting them on an 11 x 14 piece of paper and have all of the kids write their names in a "frame" around it.

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2006

MrsC, I like the idea of the digital picture book with a little message from each child. I have a parent helper come in in the afts. so she could help the kiddos with this. And I will have to add a page, too....I hate goodbyes!!!!!
    Thanks for your ideas!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2006

Your welcome...I've said too many "good-byes" in the past few years, and had many leave without any notice or opportunity to say good-bye.

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2006

I'm such a soft-hearted person, that would crush me!:eek: It is amazing how attached we become to these little beings in such a short time. I wonder if they ever truly know the effect they have on OUR lives. I have an especially wonderful class this year and I feel very blessed. To lose one hurts incredibly. :love:

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2006

Can you get them all together for a quick class photo... ?

That is so sad...:love:

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2006

Frizz.....my digital camera is ready to go! I plan on taking quite a few photos for the next few days.
    Do you think I should tell the rest of the class, or just wait until Friday to let them know? I honestly don't know what would be better!

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 13, 2006

You could make a goodbye book. Have the other students respond to prompts, then write their responses in the book - I remember the time ....., You are a good friend because ...., You made me laugh when ...... Put in a photo or two and have all the kid sign in.

10. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2006

I don't know, but kids are resilient... alot more than us adults. Maybe if you told them before hand it would be a little less of a surprise to them.

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 13, 2006

I had a few students move last year. When my favorite moved we had talked about it a lot leading up to it so no one was surprised. I took pictures on my digital camera and made a collage on photoshop. I printed it and put it in a frame. He loved it. His mom and I both cried on his last day.

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2006

I will speak to mom, and if she is ok with it, I will tell the class on Monday. That will give us a week to say goodbyes, etc. It will be a great last day for him next Friday,as it is our Polar Express Day. He will go out with a very great memory of his last day! :)
    AMK........I'm SURE I'll cry, too!

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2006

I recently lost a good student too. She mentioned it quickly about moving to a new house and I probed her. I found out that her family was moving to Oregon! I told her that I was going to miss her and she said that she was going to miss me too, and then started to tear up. I almost lost it! Then, on her last day, I hugged her and told her I was going tomiss her and she jst started to cry. I couldn't believe how I didn't. I remember last year, on our last day of school, we all got itno a big group hug and we were crying so hard. I absolutely hate goodbyes.