One of my former students is pregnant

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Bella2010, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 30, 2013

She just turned 16. My heart aches for her. :( We talked a little about her plans. She's going to start night school next month because she's eight months pregnant. She said she was thinking about starting one of our local vocational program when she turned 17. The father isn't in the picture. She is a really smart girl. I tried to encourage her to keep at it and that she could can make it work. I just didn't know what to say. She's going to bring the baby to school to show me. I think I'm going to give her a card encouraging her. IDK if a card from her 6th grade teacher will help any, though. I figure it can't hurt.

This is the first time something like this has happened. It's like this is honestly one of those situation when calling your students "my kids" really brings that mindset to a new level. I hope that makes sense.

I'm just so sad for her. The odds aren't in her favor.

Beth

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2013

Your support will mean a lot, Beth. She'll certainly face a lot of obstacles; having someone who believes in her will be very important.

4. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Dec 30, 2013

I agree with MrsC, your support might mean more than you know. I work with the little ones of teenage moms and I definitely feel like the most important thing I can do for them is to respect them as parents, first and foremost, and to offer them whatever support I can. I certainly understand that teen parents are young and inexperienced, but it makes me incredibly sad how little respect they get. So I think just knowing that there are people around them that support them and believe in them is incredibly important. :)

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 30, 2013

She's going to need all the support and encouragement she can find, I think it will mean a lot to her.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 31, 2013

Bella, does your school have a teen parent program? If not, she should be able to transfer to a school that does. I ran a teen parent program for 9 years. It can break your heart when they get PG so young. They just don't know what they are getting themselves into.

7. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 31, 2013

Not that I'm aware of, but I could be wrong. The night school program is our Alt Ed program. We're in a rural area, and the nearest school that even offers night classes is 30 miles away - the smaller districts around here contract with our school for night classes.

I wish our school offered daycare for young moms going to night school. I think finding someone to watch her kiddo will be a huge problem. When I had her, she lived with her grandma. Her mom was kind of in and out, and her dad wasn't in the picture at all. Her plan right now is for her grandma, who works all day, to watch her baby while she's at school. I'm concerned this won't last long. Three years is a long time to keep that up. For a grandma who works all day to come home and take care of a baby is a lot. Of course, this grandma raised a slew of grandkids, so she has to be one tough lady, lol.

We have a pregnancy care system here. I'm wondering if they have any resources that would help her? This experience has me thinking I might like to work with teenage moms. :blush:

Beth

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 31, 2013

I have worked with a lot of young moms (I have one now who is still in 9th grade) and have seen a LOT of them make it through to college. It takes a lot of support from the adults in their lives, especially if the father (and in two cases I've seen, the mother) isn't in the picture.

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2013

I work for the adult school in our area, and most of the kids who need credits to graduate are now doing it in online. Our GED classes have shrunk immensely. I would think that in a rural area, they would have a program like that because of the commute factor. Our adult school is run by the high school district, but some are run out of the community colleges. Some of these computer programs are also run by home school groups. You would think her counselor would have told her about these options?

10. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 31, 2013

Our alt ed offers a fast track for graduation. They also try to get as many kiddos as possible to do concurrent enrollment with local colleges. It is a wonderful cheap way to get college hours.

11. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Dec 31, 2013

Bella, I work at an alternative high school with a daycare program, if you are willing to share/PM me your location, I can do some research for you into what regional programs might be available to help her. Or you could simply call them directly and ask. :)

As far as federal programs, definitely make sure she knows about WIC. Another thing to look into would be what kind of subsidies your state offers as far as childcare for low-income parents. I live in a very poor state and many people receive full or partial state assistance for daycare. Usually this allows them to choose their own provider as well, as long as the provider meets certain requirements. I know there are also programs in my area that offer supplies for babies in exchange for young parents participating in education programs, so there may be something similar somewhere near you as well.

12. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 31, 2013

Thank you all so much for the suggestions! I appreciate it so much.

So, kids take online courses for graduation courses? Then do they kind of transfer over to their high school?

I PM'd you. :)

Beth

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 31, 2013

Bella, in many cases the units are sort of concurrent high-school and college units. (I know a kid whose grad school application came to grief because she had a lot of units like that and didn't realize that she needed to submit a community-college transcript even though all the units were also reported on her high-school transcript.)

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 31, 2013

I do too. It sounds like she's had a bit of a chaotic life, so support and encouragement from someone outside that chaos may be exactly what she needs.

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 31, 2013

Here are some of the options my agency offered. We applied for and won a state contract to serve the needs of teen parents in our county. Pregnant teens can receive cash assistance from the state in their 8th month. Teens who are receiving cash assistance are mandated to participate in education for 20 hours a week--even during summer vacation. My agency provided the case management for about 100 teens in the county. We served 9 schools. We were housed on the campus of the biggest school. At this home base school, we taught two parenting classes. These classes were part of the high school program and the teens got high school credit. We enrolled both the mother and father in our program. This base school had about 20 parenting teens. We also provided space for an alternative school. We had one child care center that any teen parent could receive free childcare as long as they were attending an educational program. The rural schools that we served usually had 1 to 8 teens. We sent a case manager to that school once a week to teach a parenting class.

I loved working with the teen parents. They needed support and information. Usually they did not have any family support and welcomed our agency's help.

Funding for our agency came from the state for case management, and child care grants for the children. I also wrote grants and sought donations.

16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 31, 2013

Like legoac said, get her on WIC. She is eligible for free food since she is pregnant. Her child will receive free food--formula, etc. WIC will also provide education regarding feeding.