One of my biggest fears....What is the best response when...

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by aldrmctchr, Aug 2, 2005.

1. aldrmctchr

aldrmctchr New Member

Aug 2, 2005

What is the best response when a kid asks you a question and you either go blank, don't remember or worst of all just don't know the answer?

Also, if you teach biology, do you HAVE TO disect something? Or does it depend on the grade you are teaching? I am thinking about 6-8th grades.

I think I would rather teach earth sciences anyway. I am an avid severe weather nut (we have our share of hurricanes and other severe weather here!). I love reading about natural weather events, earthquakes, volcanoes, etc. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I have lots of time to ask questions because I have a while to go even though I already have my Associates of Applied Science. :) They don't teach too much hazardous materials technology in middle school!

3. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Aug 2, 2005

I am not a middle school teacher, but when you go blank or don't know the answer, take the opporunity to look it up or get back with the student. There's nothing wrong with being human! Plus, you can't be expected to know everything. Try not to put that kind of pressure on yourself.

Again, I don't teach Biology, but I loved dissecting animals in junior high and high school. I was pretty much a girly girl, too. I thought I would be absolutely disgusting, but it was a lot of fun seeing all the tiny little parts inside the animals we dissected. I hated the smell though. ;)

These are great questions to ask. I'm sure you will get lots of good responses.

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 2, 2005

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 2, 2005

There are lots of virtual disections out there that could take the place, but like Lanie. I really enjoyed the disecting. In the lower grades you could stick to more simple things, earthworms, crawfish, etc.

6. kidsIam

kidsIam Rookie

Aug 2, 2005

I just graduated from college and one of the things they taught is that it is okay for us teachers not to know the answer to every question. Just be honest about it and let the child know that maybe you both can find out together. It will help the students know that it is okay to ask and that there is nothing wrong with not knowing. The students will feel more comfortable trying to ask the next time. The other thing, especially in the upper grade, is to use that opportunity to let the students do their own research instead of simply giving them the answer.

7. Veteran Teacher

Veteran Teacher Rookie

Aug 2, 2005

There will come a time when you won't know the answer to something a student asks. Like some of the others mentioned, you can try to turn it into a teachable moment. I have told students that I wasn't sure about the answer and I didn't want to give them the wrong information. During their snack, recess or other free time I help them use the internet to find the answer to their question. Most of the time you can figure it out fairly quickly. I've also made it into kind of a competition. I let the students look for the answer and the first one to find the correct answer gets something small. (Of course, I have to find the answer too so I know what the correct answer is.) ;)

8. Seg

Seg New Member

Aug 2, 2005

I'm a grade six teacher and when a kid asks me a question for which I have no answer, I write the question on the board and invite all the students to look for the answer at home (internet, parents or other). That same evening, I also search for the answer. The following day, the students will share their answers. 99% of the time, I always have a student or more who found the answer to the written question. It permits us to learn together and it really motivates the students.

9. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 2, 2005

I always tell the students that I am "human" and don't have "all the answers" - no one does. So when a student asks me a question I don't know the answer to I say, " Wow, that is a good question, I'm not sure. Someone should try to figure it out tonight and tell us tomorrow."