One more year.....I could use a little advice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Outdoorz, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Outdoorz

Outdoorz Rookie

Jul 12, 2013

I haven't posted here for a while, mostly because I am crazy busy, so I thought I would reintroduce myself. I recently finished a master's in Watershed Science with an emphasis in Environmental Education and now have one year left of an elementary education program.

I am super excited to start teaching next year, but feel a bit overwhelmed at the same time. During my program I have seen a lot of manipulatives for math and science that can be used in the classroom. I feel like I need to start accumulating that stuff now to be ready for teaching (buy a little at a time over the next year instead of tying to get it all at once next fall?). I realize a lot of that is grade specific and I should wait til I know what grade I'll be teaching. Are there manipulatives that could be used for, say, grades 3-5 (my target range).

Also, when do most districts start putting out job announcements?

Thanks! it's good to be back.

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 12, 2013

Many schools supply manipulatives with math programs; I would wait and see what you will have before buying things.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 12, 2013

Why don't you start saving a set amount each month so you'll have a nice little nest egg for expenses when you find your first job? That way, you won't have any unnecessary supplies, won't have to store stuff, and you can have a plan so you get the most bang for your buck.

In the meantime, you can build up a personal database of digital files of lessons and labs.

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2013

I wouldn't start purchasing stuff- other than maybe books, until you see your classroom. Mine pretty much came with everything I needed- including books. (Of course there weren't nearly enough books in my opinion and most were outdated so I've added 100's of my own.)

Science I might purchase things for specific experiments but that's on a need basis, it's not something I buy even before the school year starts.

My math center came with pretty much anything I needed and the school provided anything I needed but didn't have. I have added a few things of my own- legos and some foam pattern blocks I got in college but that's it.

This is an inner city school, you might get even more in a suburban school, who knows.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2013

I agree. You never know what your school is going to end up supplying, what you will actually need to buy, nor what you will end up teaching. Life throws us curve balls.

7. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 12, 2013

I think you should start by looking at Craigslist (some retired teachers often give things away for free or little cost) and yard sales. That way you're not spending too much money and you're starting a little collection. I would mostly be on the look out for leveled books! You can never have too many. :)

8. Outdoorz

Outdoorz Rookie

Jul 13, 2013

Thanks all for your replies. I get over eager to prepare myself. I see all these neat things in my program and in the schools in the area and it makes me excited.