One more shot...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rhesus, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jul 30, 2013

I had run out of positions to apply for a couple of weeks ago, but one more popped up Friday. The school looks good on paper, but it's an hour away. Still, that is an improvement over my current 1.5 hour commute. My competing candidates managed to snap up the other positions I applied for, so hopefully my competition has thinned out.

I'm getting ahead of myself, but it is getting late, so resigning from my current position has more potential to be messy. My current position is at private school, so the contract doesn't hold a lot of water. It doesn't even address anywhere what the procedure is for resigning, or how much notice to give (although it says an awful lot about all the ways they can fire me at will).

3. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 30, 2013

GO FOR IT!!! And good luck!!! :thumb:

4. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 30, 2013

Good luck!!!!!! Pm'ing you!:thumb:

5. Global Teacher

Global Teacher Companion

Jul 30, 2013

Regarding your resignation, rather than considering what the contract says since it doesn't say much, make sure you do your best to smooth things over with your principal.

Try to make sure you can get as positive a reference as you possibly can for when you apply for positions in the future.

6. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jul 30, 2013

I will, of course, make my resignation as smooth and as professional as possible, if I do change jobs. I'm not too worried about references, as I have some excellent ones from other high level admins who were my actual supervisors. My school has a history of reacting very badly when people resign, and even of preemptively dismissing/replacing people when it is discovered that they are interviewing elsewhere.

7. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jul 31, 2013

I got the call a few minutes ago to come in for an interview today in a few hours. The P called it a "preliminary screening," whatever that means.

8. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 31, 2013

Whoooooo! My crystal ball says this is the one!!!!:thumb:

9. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jul 31, 2013

Now they called and rescheduled for early tomorrow morning. Ugh, they got me all worked up!

10. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 31, 2013

It could be that someone on the committee couldn't make it, or the p has a conflict, or any other number of issues. I hate waiting, though!!

11. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jul 31, 2013

Although I am mildly annoyed, he explained that he was having trouble rounding up his committee on such short notice, and I buy that. After all, he called me at around 10:00 to schedule and interview for a mere four hours later.

12. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 1, 2013

That went well. The P called within five minutes of me getting back home to invite me back for round two and a demo on Tuesday. I have never done a demo for adults before. From his tone and affect, I get the impression that it is rather pro forma, but I will take it very seriously, of course.

So far, so good . . .

13. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2013

That's great news! Hope the second round and demo goes just as well!

14. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 1, 2013

That sounds great! Congrats on getting called back. I bet you'll be on the hired list here within a week!

15. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 6, 2013

Today I did the demo. The "class" was the P and AP, and that's it. It felt artificial and awkward, and definitely wasn't my best work.

However, they called a couple of hours later and said I "passed muster" with them, and they were moving me on to the superintendent. This school is an hour drive away, but 25 minutes closer than my current job and should pay much better.

The only hitch now is that they are trying to contact a reference but can't get ahold of him.

Now all sorts of other anxieties are setting in, but this is not a bad problem to have.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2013

Sounds promising. Keep us posted!

17. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 6, 2013

Sounds like this is it, Rhesus! Awesome!!!

How dumb that you had to "teach" a lesson to them, though. I can imagine how awkward that would feel.

BUT YOU DID IT!!!! :thumb:

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2013

Not dumb at all...in summer it's hard to gather kids for a demo. The OP is looking to teach higher grades...a demo for the hiring committee adds another dimension not seen on the interview.

Good luck on this next step, Rhesus!

19. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 6, 2013

Good Luck!

20. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 7, 2013

It's artificial, awkward, and a little silly, which is probably why it's so uncommon.

21. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 7, 2013

My main reference person called to tell me that he was contacted by the hiring P, and told me he gave a glowing recommendation. I got an email from the hiring P saying that he has passed me on to HR and the superintendent, and that I can expect their call to come in one more time. This might actually be happening...

I am nervous. I wish a could find out more about the school and the program I'd be inheriting (I would be the only teacher of the subject in the building). My various snoopings and delvings have turned up nothing, which is probably a good sign.

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2013

Do you know how many of each level and which textbook you'd be using?

23. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 7, 2013

I'd be a solo act teaching levels 1 through 4. Two 1s and 2s, one 3 and one 4. The book is Cambridge, which I have never used but am casually familiar with. I am not thrilled with it. I prefer a more traditional approach, and I do not teach strictly out of a textbook. If I am the sole teacher, I should have some autonomy (I hope) to supplement with other stuff.