One more question: Do you think it will be impossible to find math teachers in 5 year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FutureTeacher__, Jun 4, 2009.

1. FutureTeacher__

FutureTeacher__ Rookie

Jun 4, 2009

Do you think it will be impossible for districts to find math teachers in 5 years? I have not met one single math major at my school(it's a combination of 3 schools) in the two years I have been here....and I meet a LOT of people...

So, where will schools find math teachers in the future?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2009

I think that as many teachers find themselves out of work, they will look to add more certifications to broaden their market. Math being one of them. If school districts aren't finding enough, they will more than likely look to alternative certification programs or look overseas.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 4, 2009

I suppose as a math teacher myself, I meet a lot more of "my kind" :D. There are more of us out there than many people realize. I don't think the situation with math teachers will be any worse in 5 years as it is now, and, as pointed out above, might get even better as people look to add certification areas to make themselves more hirable.

5. FutureTeacher__

FutureTeacher__ Rookie

Jun 4, 2009

Don't a lot of them go towards the engineering route?

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2009

Plenty of math majors at my (technical) university. Many that I know are also in the math education masters program. Others are doing phd in pure or applied math and still others are going on to things like computational biology/chemistry or the like. It isn't the largest department on campus, but certainly not the smallest either.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 4, 2009

The math majors when I was in school seemed to be pretty evenly spread out between the various specialties. Engineering is something entirely different. I can't say I knew too many of those after I was finished with the computational math courses; and that was pretty early on.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 4, 2009

A good many of them may come for a second career from other lines of work. I'm not sure that's a bad thing, either.

9. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2009

Good point TG....... I'm a Math (and Geology) major.... and retired from the corporate world...... I love (substitute) teaching advanced or honors math in high school.... :):)

10. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 4, 2009

No, I don't think it will be impossible to find math teachers in five years. Our math dept is very young with over half of them under 30 and all over them have BS's in Math education. We have always had tons of applications every time we have posted open math and science positions.

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 4, 2009

We have a backlog of people wanting to teach math at our school -- and no available positions. We have 2 teachers with masters in math who are teaching language arts and social studies because there are no openings in math and science right now.

It all depends on where you are.

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2009

In my area they can always find enough math teachers; yes, it is easier to get a math teaching job as you are usually competing against a lot less people than many other areas, but it is not a guarantee. I can't see that changing in five years.

13. Jen in NCal

Jen in NCal Rookie

Jun 4, 2009

Barely scraped by with my job for next year. Given that, I'm going back this summer to get my Single Subject in Math. Our district always needs Middle and High School Math teachers.

14. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2009

I'm going back to my AC people and finding out IF I can take the MATH & SCIENCE test for Middle School.
    :crosseyed:huh:EC-4isTOOCROWDED4COMFORT!:(:huh::eek:
    Rebel1

15. Ceyber

Ceyber Rookie

Jun 5, 2009

I got my degree as an engineer, but knew I was going to be a teacher the whole time. It looks good on a resume, and I'm qualified to teach advanced math and science :)

I'm very pleased with my choice.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2009

I'm not sure what makes the next 5 years any different than the last 50.

Fewer people choose to teach math than many other subjects, but for the most part there are enough of us out there.

17. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2009

In the UK we are already desperate for Maths teachers, also teachers of physics, chemistry and languages. Things are not getting better. However there are rumours that a lot of the bankers who have lost their jobs are looking at re-training as Maths teachers! I don't live in hope.

18. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Jun 5, 2009

I have a friend who has a MS Credential and plans to go back to get certificated for Math. She was an accountant prior to becoming a teacher.