One Little Word for the New Year

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KinderCowgirl, Dec 30, 2014.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 30, 2014

Every year I take the challenge set forth by: http://aliedwards.com/2013/12/one-little-word-2014to choose One Little Word that I will try to achieve more of in the upcoming year. Last year I chose "bold"-which I actually think I did a pretty good job of incorporating. When making a decision, I'd always remember-well, I'm trying to be more bold-so let's do it!

This year I had a hard time deciding. Several jumped out at me, but I think I'm going to go with "forgive". I am not a forgive and forget kind of person. When I feel I'm wronged it just kind of eats at me. I had a parent complain to my admin before break about something completely ridiculous, and even on vacation I'm still thinking about that and it bothers me. So better at forgiving other people and forgiving myself and letting things go.

What's your One Little Word for the new year?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2014

Thanks for reminding me of this, KinderCowgirl. Last year, my word was "better". I need to do some thinking about my word for this coming year; I have a few in mind.

Last year, I had my students choose a word for themselves and create a visual that incorporated words, quotes, and pictures. Even though I have some of the same students again, I think I'll do this again.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 30, 2014

Mrs C-it's a great idea to do it with students, I even do it with my Kinders! ;)

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 30, 2014

This is intriguing. I would love to do something like this with my 5th graders. MrsC, how did you have the kids incorporate pictures, quotes, etc?

I'm going to have to think about my word this year. :)

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 30, 2014

Balance

I need to figure out how to find a better balance between home/family, work, and grad school, since my baby girl will be here in 2 months. :)

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2014

The kids created a poster on 11 x 17 poster board. They divided the poster into 10-12 sections. One of the sections needed to be filled with their chosen word written in big, bold letters. The remaining sections could be filled with quotes, pictures or words and phrases that matched their chosen word. (I didn't give them a lot of direction on this, just let them pick what inspired them). For the most part, the posters were black and white (and shades of grey), but they were able to add one colour--most chose to write their chosen word in a bold colour--red, bright pink, etc. The finished posters looked great and were on display in the room for a good part of the year.

I worked on one along with the students--we took ideas from each other.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 30, 2014

That's so cool! I love it. Thanks for the detailed explanation!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2014

Hope it made sense, yellowdaisies. I may have some pictures of the ones some of my kids did last year; if I can find one, I'll post.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 30, 2014

I would love to see a picture if it's not too much trouble. :) It sounds like something my fifth graders would really love, but the visual would help me. :)

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2014

I've given this a lot of thought the past couple of days--I have quite a long list of possibilities. I think that I am going to go with "Believe".

I don't always practice what I preach to my students--believing in yourself and in your ability to accomplish whatever goals you want to work towards. This will be the year to restore my belief in myself.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 31, 2014

(Simply) BEST! :D

13. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jan 2, 2015

I think I'm going to go with ...faith... It actually sounds odd coming from me but I need to have faith things will all be ok. That I will finish my internship, pass my last two classes, have a healthy baby boy or girl in April (and that everything continues to go smoothly with thr pregnancy), and graduate in May and hopefully find a part time job since I lost mine. Then find a job in my field after I graduate. I need to have faith instead of dreaming out and becoming anxious and stressed.

14. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Jan 3, 2015

Fit

exercise and clothing

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2015

Funny you bring this up! I was talking to a guy at a NYE party, and he said that he does this too! So he got me thinking about what my word would be for 2015 and I think it's going to be 'change'. I'm going to change the way I do certain things that I'm not happy with the way they are now.

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 3, 2015

Thanks for sharing this! I love it! I was planning on doing something with my kids next week, this sounds perfect.