One last question about subbing!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Schuyler, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Schuyler

Schuyler Comrade

Jan 31, 2007

I keep reading about substitute teachers who received a letter saying they were dismissed from subbing in districts. Would they dismiss you if the sub service can't reach you, or you say no? I just started subbing and have been called about 10 times. At least half of the times I was already subbing at one of their schools (the secretary booked me in advance - I only know they called from caller ID). The rest of the time they have called late (after school starts - probably for half day) and I wasn't home. Today they called and I had to say "no" because I had another commitment.

I should mention that of 31 days I've been subbing, I've gone in 16. It's just that only one has been through the sub service (the rest were pre-booked)

Thanks for your advice - sorry for all the questions!

3. briannasoloski

briannasoloski Rookie

Jan 31, 2007

I'm not sure where you live, but in Nevada you can get kicked out of sub services for turning down a certain number of jobs. You might want to check your district's policy on that.

4. Schuyler

Schuyler Comrade

Jan 31, 2007

Wow -what happens if you work for other districts?

I technically haven't turned down many (only the one today), but they've called a lot while I was subbing at one of their other schools so I suppose it could look like I'm unavailable.

I might call tomorrow and just mention that I'm subbing a lot at the one school, and ask if I should call at the start of the week to let them know my schedule, or if they already have that information.

5. briannasoloski

briannasoloski Rookie

Jan 31, 2007

That's what I would do. To them, it looks like you're turning down all those jobs. I live in Vegas, so it's just one district, unfortunately.

6. misswhammy

misswhammy Rookie

Jan 31, 2007

In my district, there is a major need for substitutes. You can decline as many jobs as you need (or want) to. You are only reprimanded if you cancel jobs. Cancelling a job is accepting one and then changing your mind later and not going to it. You are called in and written up after a certain number of cancellations. After 10, you are relieved of your substitute duties.