one kid behavior chart

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by txmomteacher2, Feb 7, 2011.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2011

I have a student who desperately needs a behavior chart. I have a few but was wondering if you guys had any more that you use that are really effective. Somedays I think he is ADD and other days I think it's more ADHD, and then still other days I think it's him just not wanting to work. Home life is pretty messed up but he is super smart when he does his work. This student was also moved into my room after being totally humiliated by his last teacher. So he is not real trusting of teachers, nor are his family, although I do seem to get along with all involved and trust me it's more than the Mom. Any help would be greatly appreicated.

3. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Feb 7, 2011

Does he have a favorite person in the building? A younger sibling? If work completion is the issue, I would do a sticker chart and for every assignment he gets a sticker, or the box colored with a special marker. (My kids would totally find a same-colored marker and fill boxes in...so find something special) Once he fills in so many boxes, he can go do something special. Go play a game with another faculty member for ten minutes, hang out in the principals office for so long and see what they do, or some other special treat. Then I would just adjust the amount of assignments or work needed to earn a prize.

4. cheerfulfifi

cheerfulfifi Rookie

Feb 7, 2011

Choose between 1-3 goals for him. What behaviors do you want to see? Then you need to choose a time line. He may have to accomplish those goals for the morning and afternoon or for the whole day depending on what he needs.
    He can fill in when he reaches the goal with a sticker or smiley face. Then as said above, come up with some rewards that he may enjoy. If he gets a certain amount of smiley faces he gets the reward.

If that doesn't work, let us know. I've had to implement TONS of individual behavior charts.

5. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Feb 7, 2011

Not to hijack, but Cheerful and everyone else- what do you suggest as the next step? I have a kindergartner- already tried this. I would love some ideas...I need something!

6. lucylucy

lucylucy Rookie

Feb 7, 2011

This isn't really a "behavior chart" where you are motivating correct behavior, but I had a student who really did NOT realize when he was on task or off task, etc... I broke the day up into parts that made sense with our schedule. At the end of each block of time I would rate him (3=tried my very best 2= I could have tried harder 1=I did not try my best 0=I did not try). It was really on a 3, 2, 1 scale because I never put a zero. Anyway, I rated him and then covered up my response and then he rated himself. We both uncovered our rating at the same time and if they matched he got a peanut m&m. This solved his behavior problems at the same time because he became more aware of how he was doing.

The responses had to match for him to earn a reward. If I rated him with a 3 and he rated himself with a 2 - he did not get the reward. He would ask questions, "why did you give me a 2?" - which lead to constructive feedback about his behavior. Anyway, this worked very well for me!