Once a sub, then a full time teacher at the same school-is this common?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by TitanicExplorer, Dec 19, 2007.

1. TitanicExplorer

TitanicExplorer New Member

Dec 19, 2007

I sub just about every day at a local high school- i'd love to teach full time here once I get my teaching licence. Is subbing a good way to get one's foot 'in the door' to make contacts and eventually land a full time teaching spot at the same school? Is it common for subs to wind up teaching at the school where they used to sub? (once they recieve proper teaching credentials)

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2007

Titanic (love the name BTW), it's not uncommon at all for schools to hire from their sub list those that are certified. In fact, that's why many of us are subbing, to get our foot in the door in districts so we can get a full time position. I was told by the sub coor. here that they look at their sub list first and pull those applications. Good luck! When do you plan on finishing your certification?

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2007

In certain districts, it's actually standard practice to look for regular, full-time teachers from the sub pool.

I think it's best to make an extremely good impression at the school. Say hello to everyone, smile like you mean it, and, most importantly, do a great job in the classrooms you're assigned to. Once you've established relationships with teachers and support staff at the school, ask them if new hires are taken from the sub pool.

5. obro

obro Rookie

Dec 19, 2007

Thats how I got my job. I was a sub, got my masters and this year am a full time teacher. However I also know others who because of bad reputations as subs did not even know of the openings.
    The sad part is they don't even know they have bad reputations. Sometimes I think judging people on subbing is very unfair.

6. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2007

That's how I got both my teaching jobs.

7. Valeriana

Valeriana Rookie

Dec 20, 2007

that is what I am planning to do so far.

8. TitanicExplorer

Dec 20, 2007

Then I'm on the right track- Normally I fill in for a different teacher every time Im called in to sub-but the past 2 weeks ive been filling in for one tacher who is out due to illness. The principal told me today I'm 'doing a great job'. Perhaps my subbing will lead to a teaching position.

9. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Dec 20, 2007

Where I'm from they tend to hire ta's first for teaching positions, but many things are done differently around here...Good luck!

10. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2007

Here in Chicago you have to be fully certified to sub. So it's not uncommon to get hired into a position from the sub pool. All of our subs are already teachers any way.

11. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Dec 20, 2007

I got my job from subbing as well. It's an excellent way to get noticed!!
    MsSub

12. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Dec 20, 2007

I started subbing at the school I did my student teaching at. The principal didn't have a position available for the following school year so she went out of her way to keep me updated on openings in the area. She gave me a glowing letter of recommendation. I went on my first interview that summer and landed the job!
    Subbing does get your foot in the door!

13. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2007

Depends on the requlations where you live. Our subs have to be certified teachers already unless they get an emergency sub certificate. I think you have to have a BA before you can do that though.

14. TitanicExplorer

Dec 20, 2007

In my state of MA, all you need is a Bachelors degree....

15. caodang1120

caodang1120 New Member

Dec 21, 2007

Invisible Ceiling of Respect

I believed that substitute don't get much respect at school site. I sub and I can felt the invisible wall sometimes. But most staffs respect them I presume. I think that substitute are important jobs. Without them, the school system would be in trouble. One has to think like a business person not only from an educational perspective. Business expert think that all staffs at a school has an important contribution in a student's achievement as a correlation to a big corporation. In fact, a school district is a corporation. To make a good business environmemt, interpersonal respect and rapport is a necessity to achieve excellent working environment and productivity. Respect should be a natural human instinct to all human life no matter what one's title or class, but some seem to lose it along the way.