On what do you make lesson plans?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by MisterG, Dec 7, 2006.

1. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Dec 7, 2006

Hi all,
    Kind of getting into a rut of not knowing how to do my lesson plans more efficiently.

Im a computer type of guy so I like to make my plans on the comp. Right now, Im just using microsoft word to make a word document. I just write the times and when we are doing what (ie...8:00 morning math, 8:10 Math with Lesson 13432.1.....etc).

What do you use? I know there are many templates out there but Im looking for something that can really help me organize better with my planning.

Im also looking for something where I can look how I have the week scheduled as far as subjects. Currently, I just have the page landscape oriented and with a big table I filled in the boxes of when I have what subjects...not sure if that is the best either.

Thanks,
    Ryan

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 7, 2006

I do basically the same as you. I use Word, landscape with a table. I attaching a sample. I'm not one for detailed plans. I write the plans more for the administration and don't refer to them often. I have a really good memory and tend to not need to refer unless it is for a list of vocab, etc. By typing it I can keep some things in place which makes it much easier.

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Dec 7, 2006

Mine is portrait and the weeks worth of plans take up two pages, so when it's open you can glance at the whole week. I used to have it landscape but ended up stealing it from another teacher. :)

5. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Dec 7, 2006

I use the Microsoft Word Template found on busyteachers.com. I have found this to be the most useful for me. There are boxes for all subject areas, a place for your objectives and activities, and I type my spelling and vocab on the side of page 2. Our objectives are REALLY long and this makes it easier for me to fit everything in.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 7, 2006

I'm an aide and I don't make lesson plans other than a general one once in a while to help me out, but here is a thought:

Try using Excel and make a spreadsheet. Think about your design and let the sheet work for you. If you use the same words over and over for certain types of activities, it will recognize your key strokes and enter in the rest of your entry so that you don't have to continue typing tons of stuff. Plus you can have multiple sheets in a document. You can also search. The only downfall (and it may be a big one) is looks and space. Try it one or two days though and see what you think.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

8. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Dec 8, 2006

are we talking lesson plans or block plans?

9. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Dec 8, 2006

not sure what block plans are.

Im making lesson plans on a plain word document and while it is working OK for now...Im trying to find something else that can help me even more as far as planning and looking towards the rest of the week. I guess I normally don't like templates, but I might have to switch to that....never seem to have enough room on those little things, lol.

Another thing I was looking for is hard to describe. We had to make one of these in Vegas and I just wanted to make one for my own ease and personal reference here in Wyoming. What it is is a table (columns and rows) on a word document that shows me the days of the school week. Then I have rows set off for various times when I teach my various subjects (ie...a box for math in the morning at 8, then another box at 8:55 for specials...then another for continuing math after that....etc). This helps me plan a bit better but I can't find anything that works too well with this as my plans sort of shift depending on the days (ie...early release wednesdays, library on thursdays....etc). I also use these things to help me plan on what to teach and when because I have kids taken out for Title twice a day, plus I have kids taken out for ESL so Im trying to plan out and have something visual like this chart to use that helps me figure out when the best time is to teach things with most or all of the class there.

10. totallybusy

totallybusy Rookie

Dec 8, 2006

We use standardized plan books at our school.

11. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Dec 8, 2006

lesson plans vary, depending on the style some including a lot of information, from the anticipatory set to the reflection or conclusion activities. But, they all essentially have the steps, materials, and objectives. Block plans are used to break down a block of time. This could be for one lesson, one day, one week... depending on how in depth you want it.

12. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

Dec 8, 2006

I made a template in excel that has cells that I can make bigger or smaller depending on the block of time I need. It has saved me so much time this year. Lesson plans take a quarter of the time because the things like lunch/recess never change. However I can quickly make 2 boxes into 1 and add the special event in.

In excel you can then make a template for your own needs.

13. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Dec 9, 2006

I was trying to send you a template, but I can't seem to add an attachment.

I teach 1st and Kindergarten ELL, but the plans that I have can be used for any grades.

Send me a PM with your email if you wish to have it.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 10, 2006

I got a Calendar template from Word, cut and pasted it into excel. Moved the boxes where I wanted it and made the gridlines appear. Then I cut and pasted it back into Word so I can add any data (it's easier to manipulate font, etc in Word). I just made 3 months worth of spelling activities lesson plans on it. I'm so excited. I've been going week to week.