On Uniforms

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Aug 4, 2020.

1. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Aug 6, 2020

I'll also add, I prefer clothing that has a bit of spandex to it, so it is naturally stretchy. I'm kind of petite, actually, but I don't like clothing that is stiff or feels too constricting. Definitely not a fan of polyester.
    I like wearing skirts, to me they are less confining for my legs.

2. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 7, 2020

This year, because of our increased cleaning duties, they are relaxing what professional dress means for us. They haven't let us know exactly what that is yet, but I'm hoping for jeans every day. I know some people are hoping for scrubs, which would be okay, except I don't own any. I'd rather jeans, cause I can just buy a bunch of those and be done with it!

Backroads likes this.
  3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 7, 2020

I like looking in thrift stores but I hardly ever find anything I like. I probably miss all the good stuff.

4. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2020

I like khaki type pants and dumpy polo shirts or other cotton/knit tops. Easy, no thought to the outfit. For a special day, I don't mind dressing up, but for every day, I want ease.

Backroads and Caesar753 like this.
  5. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Comrade

Aug 7, 2020

I'm only advocating tucking a long shirt that goes to one's knees, instead of having it hang out. (The length could also be altered as an alternative) It's not the untucked shirt that bothers me, it's the baggy to the knees shirt that bothers me.

Backroads likes this.
  6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 7, 2020

Yeah, that's just sloppy looking. People should just avoid that kind of thing altogether. But, as we know, people will do what they want to do!

7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 7, 2020

I avoid anything that requires dry cleaning.
    There seems to be an art, or even a gift.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 7, 2020

Ugh, I hate that look. It is very sloppy, and in the case of uniforms it seems to to defeat the purpose of the uniform.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2020

I am a very casual dresser. My favorite jobs are those that allowed jeans and collared shirts.
    I had about eight different colored jeans and saved the jean colored ones for casual Friday.
    I have not even owned a dress for probably 15-20 years.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 7, 2020

We are allowed to wear jeans this year. Each teacher will only have kids two days a week, and we don’t have kids at all on Wednesdays. I don’t really like jeans, but they’re easy.

11. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 8, 2020

Are they school specific uniforms?? Because I teach in a high poverty district and we require uniforms.. and uniforms are extremely cheap. They just require certain color collared shirts and certain color bottoms or dresses. Old Navy, Walmart, Target, they all sell them for really cheap. One incoming kindergarten parent was excited to tell me she bought a week's worth of uniform outfits for less than $50. And that was for the "nicer" brands.
    --
    As for teachers, we don't really have a specific dress code. We can wear tshirts, jeans, & sneakers any day of the week. I don't because I like dressing up a little but still very casual. I don't have separate work clothes and "hanging out" clothes. All my clothes are worn to work and vice versa.
    I used to work at a fancy expensive daycare that required all teachers and kids to wear school-specific uniforms. It was either a red or navy polo with their logo on it, and we had to wear khakis and nice shoes.
    Let me tell ya, I never went to Walmart or Target after work, because I looked like one of their employees..

Backroads likes this.
  12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 8, 2020

I am not aware of any that require school logos or anything, but the one that had the lady crying had a very distinct uniform that went beyond mere colors to the point the stores aren't easily stocking workable pieces. A few shops were promoted to carry the pieces, but weren't able to offer them at Target/Old Navy prices and the school was too new to have much in the way of used options.

13. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Aug 8, 2020

Yep! I taught in a time and place where professional dresses and heels were required. I was younger and did not mind dressing up. I actually liked it back then. I didn't really fully realize ( until I was older) what a hardship this was on some people depending on their personality types, where they had come from, and age.
    One of the counselors who was older than me, really down to earth, and came from a different background was given a bad evaluation in a category that was NOT called APPEARANCE, but pretty much meant that. They told her attire was unprofessional and that she needed to wear make up and jewelry even. They did not write that part, but told her. She was an ex hippy type, so it really bothered her a lot.
    Now where I am at anything goes. The only reason I can see for wearing uniforms is if you are in a gang area or have problems with kids following a respectful dress code that allows for some color and design choice. I wouldn't want to have to wear a uniform or tuck a polo in b/c that is not my style or comfort zone. I think we all should have a choice.