On the verge of the interview tomorrow

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by McKennaL, Jul 23, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 23, 2009

It's for an instructional assistant. the Grunt Work patrol.

I was on line looking up things that might give me a little insight about this position..

I nearly cried when I found the salary chart. I had been thinking that $18,000 might be tough to live on/run the household on... and then i saw it's $15,500

I'm knocked onto the floor.

I'm getting scared now. My student teaching principal (this district) told me she never hires from the IAs...and i subbed once in a class...this district? I think so... with an IA who had been in that position for YEARS and was saying.."I can't DO this anymore, i have to get a job that PAYS..and this ain't it!"

Sorry... just shaking in my boots. The pay is higher than the alternative of subbing-and subbing got me no-where. But...it's just scarey.

ok... needed to write someone

3. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Jul 23, 2009

I totally understand McKenna. Aides aren't paid near what they are worth. Go and ace that interview tomorrow so that at least you can have something as a backup plan if you do not end up with your own classroom this year. I am still crossing my fingers that you find that dream job though!

4. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 23, 2009

For a family of 3, $18,000 is the federal poverty line. $15,000 is the line for a family of 2. That is scary low!

5. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

Yeah...that is why I'm scared. Hubby (after being laid off) was able to find a job but took a major pay cut and not benefits. The aide positions here it is $10.49/hour so it isn't straight salary but you know they don't give overtime! LOL! Basically, I'd be working for the insurance and the hopes of being hired.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2009

Wow, I'm blessed that aides here get about $20,000 (with some experience). McKenna, do the aides all make the same? Here, there are 3 steps: min, mid, max. HR said they take into account the experience I already have so I'd be making at least the midpoint salary. Also, aides here are internal employees so know about jobs before they are posted so have the advantage of applying before anyone else. I know you already work summer school, but in my district summer school is all internal employees so that will help too. And aide positions are guaranteed money whereas subbing is somewhat unpredictable.

7. smalltowngal

Jul 24, 2009

Oh, and good luck today!!!!

8. reverie

reverie Companion

Jul 24, 2009

Good luck!

9. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 24, 2009

:( Wow! I knew aides were paid less but I had no idea how much less. There goes my back up plan.

10. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

yeah mckenna, I know in my school aides do get hired as teachers (of course if they become cert). In my experience with my school aides DO have a leg up on hiring. I know that all places may not be the same, but I know that is the case here.

Good Luck. We hope to hear really good news soon for you!

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2009

Good luck and be glad you are interviewing in your state. Aides here make $7.00 an hour. They only get paid for a 35 hour week. That's less than $12,000. Full time.

12. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 24, 2009

I really hope a teaching position pops up.

13. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

And now for the wait... it shouldn't be long though. They had mentioned that they were only interviewing this morning...and that they would have a decision this afternoon. (Since they both had plans for the next week.)

you know, I WISH I could ever come out of an interview with a feeling like... "Dang! I NAILED that one!" The closest I have ever come is.."well, that went pretty well."

Today's? "eh. I don't know." But how sad if I can't even get offered a job doing this.

As I sat in the lobby I prayed (as usual), but also tried to calm my nerves by saying, "McKenna, you KNOW you could do this job ANY day." Who knows if they'll agree.

I had a closing statement ready...(so many times I am stumped by the end)..but it wasn't asked for.Ok so here are a few of the questions I can remember:

Tell us about your education and educational experiences.

What do you see as your role in this job?

Strengths and weakneeses related to the position?

Disagreements happen...what if you disagree with the teacher?

Behavior issues... one on one, and in small group settings.

Organizational Abilities Rating 1-10

Maybe there were more...but it went fast...about 20 minutes or so.

We'll see soon.

14. smalltowngal

Jul 24, 2009

McKenna~I didn't get an aide position last year that I interviewed for. It was a huge blow! Something will come up for you. I had much of the same questions. Good luck! Hope you get good news soon!

15. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

Nope didn't get it.

"....we did choose two candidates for the positions, but we encourage you to keep your application active and apply for other opportunites in the district......thank you and have a great weekend."

Ok..I'll have a party. *sigh*

what is it going to take? :(

16. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

I have never asked what went wrong to an interviewer. I have always thought... they would just give you a B.S. answer.

But ... do you think it's worth it?

She said if i have questions or she can help me with anything (I think that was on the script) feel free to call her on her cell-phone number.

Would you be so bold? would you e-mail her? Is it WORTH it? Would it be an honest answer?

What do you think?

17. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2009

I'm sorry, McKenna.

18. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

They probably thought you are too qualified. I am sorry you are not having much luck in the job hunt YET. Hang in there McK!

STG: what happened to the SS job?

19. smalltowngal

Jul 24, 2009

McKenna~I would call to see if there is anything that can make you stand out more as a potential candidate.

molly~I decided to take a position in the school district I live in. So instead of an hour drive, it'll be a 5 minute one and a foot in the district I want to teach in.

20. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

Thanks, friend. I took your advice. I called. in fact, I called in front of the computer screen so that I wouldn't trip over my tongue....but would have a script to read off of.

The asst. principal said. "Thank you for calling back. We thought you did a great job today. Often times for these positions you will hear answers that speak in generalities...but you had specifics. And that was good. Today, the positions simply went to two candidates who had actual connections within the building." (for goodness sake...isn't THAT the story of the summer) "But know that your application remains active in the district unles YOU pull it back. I know that there are a number instructional assistant positions left throughout the district...so as long as it's active, other principals will be able to see it and contact you. I wish you the best in your search."

There you go. no help...but she says it was connections.
    Doesn't make it feel any better....but i guess not worse either.

But...i DO have the questions (if they are the district's) so I'll work on them.

21. smalltowngal

Jul 24, 2009

:hugs: McKenna. Even though we know its connections, its still hard to hear it.

22. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 24, 2009

What I "hear" from that conversation is "We think that you are amazing and we like what we hear. If we weren't pushed to hire from within, you would get the position."

Keep your chin up, we all hate insiders, unless we are the ones with the inside advantage!

23. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

I'm sorry McKenna! Sounds like you interviewed well...maybe those that interviewed you will give your name to other P's? I mean they all have to talk at some point, right? Take a breath...Enjoy the weekend...and then get back at it on Monday. (I know...a lot easier said than done).

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 24, 2009

That is a very low paying job. Consider it a blessing. I didn't make much my first year as an aide either but I had no experience, wasn't certified or anything. I also just wanted to know if this was the job for me before going through all that schooling. I made 1.50 an hour increase for each year. What I made last year though should have been where I started in the beginning BUT, as I said...I was doing it for the experience. If I needed the money, I would not have taken it. Now this year, I am being hired as a teacher. I'm thrilled.

25. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

I know it stinks to hear this, but at least she was honest. I agree with the comment regarding insiders too. Sounds like the interview went really well though!

I think it was great you called back too. She knows you are qualified for the job and hopefully she'll pass your name on to those other P's in the district. That phone call shows how interested you are. Good for you!!

If you don't mind, what did you ask her when you called? I need to do this, but I usually chicken out. Childish, I know.

There is still time left!!! Please try to hang in there!!!

26. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 24, 2009

McK - Have you always lived in IL?

27. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

Yes.

I grew up in the northwest suburbs (chicago). Went to undergrad in central state. Student taught slightly north of there (the first time...in music). Taught south of Rockford (a little north yet).

Came back to the northwest suburbs.

Returning to college was back to where I taught near Rockford...then back tot he northwest curbs for student teaching (second time- Elem Ed)...and now here subbing. I owe my home free and clear-but with the economy, and all my money wrapped up in it, I hate to move until I can AT LEAST break clear.

My universtiy supervisor told me (last spring) that if I were willing to relocate I would have an easier time of it. That would be fine for a 20 something, but not for a person with children and a home.

On top of which- even if I DID move, it soundsl ike it's just as tough everywhere.

28. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

--

29. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 25, 2009

WOW!!!

That was a great conversation!!!

I'm going to "borrow" it if you don't mind. VERY professional. How could she NOT pass your name along?

Great advice. Thank you!!

Good Luck!!!

30. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2009

Mckenna, I'm sorry. It sounds like you really wouldn't have been very happy with that job anyways. Keep plugging away to find the job you will be happy with.:hugs: