On the Same Lesson?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jan 7, 2013.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 7, 2013

So...this morning, the 2nd grade team had a meeting to discuss where we are in the curriculum and talk about which standards we'll be focusing on this month.

It didn't realize how far ahead some teachers are and how far behind others are.

Does your team tend to teach the same lessons each day? Or do you all do your own thing? I taught 2nd grade at a site where the principal wanted to see us all teaching the same lessons when he did informal walkthroughs. At my current school, my principal has never stated that she wants to see us doing the same thing; therefore, we all go at our own pace.

We do use the PLC model and develop Common Formative Assessments together. However, some teachers have a stack of CFAs that they still need to administer! :confused:

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 7, 2013

We teach the same standards in the same week, give the same tests, and use mostly the same resources. We teach things differently and aren't necessarily on the same spot all the time.

4. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jan 7, 2013

We try to keep reading and language arts together. Everything else depends on our schedules. We're usually within a day or two of each other though.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 7, 2013

We do our own thing, but as fate would have it, me and the other 8th grade science teacher stay pretty close curriculum and time-wise to each other. It's more helpful for bouncing ideas off of each other.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2013

Pretty much at our own pace and sequence with some common timing for some units.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 7, 2013

We do our own thing, but try to pace our math the same.

8. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jan 7, 2013

We teach the same lessons.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 7, 2013

stay close together, for the most part.

10. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jan 7, 2013

We teach the same standards and use the same resources each week but are free to develop our own lesson plans. Sometimes we take turns writing them and share lessons and other times we do our own thing.

11. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2013

The district puts out a pacing guide, however my school admin encourages us to not really follow it. In my grade level we are generally on the same page as far as what we're teaching/when we're giving unit tests but we all teach it in our own way. We share ideas and people can take them, leave them, or modify them as they choose. I really like the way my team works.

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2013

We teach the same standards and concepts throughout the week and give the same assessments. We use many of the same resources, but are given some flexibility with how we teach and when exactly we teach the standards.

13. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Jan 7, 2013

This is so funny. We had a meeting today and this was brought up. Apparently, some people aren't aware of where they're supposed to be despite it being brought up in grade levels. A lot of the people, I can't attest to all of them as they're spread out through out the graes, who are really behind aren't saying so at their meetings. They're behind and letting everyone know now. I really like my p, but I think a lot of this happened, because we never get random walk ins. Lastly, there are some people not handing in lesson plans. That includes a first year teacher. :eek: