On the lookout for Letter People!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Billy--, May 26, 2012.

1. Billy--

Billy-- Rookie

May 26, 2012

As my college years start to roll up, I've finally come to realize that I want to teach Kindergarten! When I went to school, we had the revised Letter People, and I figured it would be something to introduce to my students as something to help memorize, and learn the letters. The thing is... finding the Letter People blowups are SO hard to find now x.x I only have Mr. B, Mr. R, and Ms. Y...Can anyone spare some help?

PS; If you can message me any details on getting there, or if you know a good deal to get them, that'd be most appreciated!!

PSS; I'm looking for the NEW revised letter people (Mr. D and his Dazzling dance, Mr. I and his impossible inches etc.)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 27, 2012

Welcome to the forums, Billy!
    A few things to keep in mind...teachers rarely get to choose their grade level. Schools like to have some flexibility in moving teachers around as student populations shift and needs dictate. Perhaps if you focus your studies/major on 'early childhood Ed', you'll channel yourself to those primary grades, but theres no guarantee.:sorry:
    Members have looked for the Letter People before. You could do a search of the forums (above) for those previous discussions. I found the following materials for sale with a quick google search:
    http://www.dawson1.com/teachers/
    There's also some Letter People videos on YouTube.
    Many schools prefer teachers use specific programs, so you probably shouldn't invest too much money in this search.
    Good luck to you in your studies, and again, Welcome!

4. Billy--

Billy-- Rookie

May 27, 2012

Ahh Thank you :) I'm trying to keep my focus around the Kindergarten area, so hopefully it does turn out to what I want it to be x.x I probably wouldn't teach the Letter People, if I ever land a Kindergarten job, if anything, the most I wanted to do was just introduce the blowup, and get them involved with learning the letters in a more fun way :) Of course, I'd have to abide by what the school wants me to teach to, soooo the Letter People are a side thing, haha.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 27, 2012

The Letter People were copyrighted in 1968. While alphabetic principle, phonemic awareness and phonics instruction are valid and vital components of primary literacy instruction, many districts eschew 'letter of the week' kinds of instruction in favor of a more balanced approach. I'm sure your Ed program will focus on methodologies and current best practices in literacy instruction, but surely complementing and supplementing your instruction with visuals like posters and character representations of letters like the Letter People will benefit your future students.

6. Billy--

Billy-- Rookie

May 27, 2012

That's pretty much what I want to do :) Plus, I live in an area where there are a lot of Elementary schools, so I'll wait it out until I can find a position I'll be comfortable with...

7. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

May 27, 2012

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 27, 2012

I don't have anything to offer except this: I loved The Letter People when I was five! :)

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 27, 2012

I hadn't heard of them before. They are very cute-they had the puppets on link-if they weren't so expensive, I might even look into getting them, just for something different.

I saw these books that introduced all the different letters once, including the blends and thought I wanted to find all of them to use for my class (never completed the set). You can always use more tricks up your sleeve to introduce letters, they would even make great workstation materials-the kids could make words with them, put them in alphabetical order, etc..

10. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

May 28, 2012

I :wub: the Letter People!!!!! My teacher used them when I was in Kindergarten. I got to teach with them for my first two years. I wish I still had them! They allow the kids to have an imagination, something that I think kids lack these days!

11. Billy--

Billy-- Rookie

May 28, 2012

Gahh xD It seems like a lot of people know what they are...I'm having so much trouble trying to find just the blowup Huggables (the revised ones, not the ones from the 1980s), that's all I need!!

12. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

May 28, 2012