On the job market, would I be a hot commodity or damaged goods?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2015

As an elementary school teacher with 21 successful years and good references, would I be a hot commodity or damaged goods?

My wife's career might force a move to the Bay Area. I'd either have to find a job there, or have a hour and a half commute.

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 2, 2015

Where I work in Southern California you definitely would not be damaged goods just for 21 years on the job. You would have a good chance of getting a job if you are a good "fit".

4. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2015

Here you would be able to find a job in the suburbs most likely. I wouldn't say a "hot commodity" but I think you might find a job. Start looking now.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2015

If any of the school districts get to know you like we have over the years in this forum, you would be a hot commodity for sure! :hugs:

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 2, 2015

21 years would make you too expensive around my area.
    Good luck!

7. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Feb 2, 2015

We have a teacher shortage in grades 1-2 at my school. You would be a hot commodity, but the district would only pay for 10 years of experience.

8. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2015

Is the commute by bicycle?

I agree with Swansong, though. You should be a hot commodity for any district!

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 2, 2015

You would only get eight years credit here, but I don't think they'd think you were damaged goods :)

10. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Feb 2, 2015

Our contract makes it sound as if credit is given for all years of service. If that's true, it might make you a less desirable candidate than those with fewer years in.

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2015

My district tops out pretty low. Most places I've looked at salary schedules would have me making slightly more than I make now even with limitations on service credit.

Actually it might be bike and train. If we moved to Berkeley, I'd have to catch a train at 5:30 in the morning to be at work on time.

I've found that service credit is hard to find in contracts. Sometimes it's a footnote on the salary scale, and other times it's buried in the chapter on "compensation."

12. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Feb 3, 2015

I'm in a completely different state and in pretty isolated district. So if you applied here with 21 years of experience we would try to snag you. The only thing is with that much experience we would probably put you in a testing grade. In fact depending on your certifications there could possibly be a fight between principals as to who would hire you. We need teachers badly.

13. Nate

Nate Companion

Feb 3, 2015

As long as you don't look or act too close to retirement age, and as long as you're up-to-date on the state of the art, experience is a good thing. Remember, most of the people you'd interview with are going to administrators, who are necessarily on the older side of the continuum. It's unlikely they'll hold your age against you.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2015

Being a male, elementary teacher with that many years experience and given your past in the military, a school would be crazy not to snag you up!

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2015

My principal would adore you--but I'm probably a little far away!

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 4, 2015

We only offer 5 years of service credit.

When I was on an interview panel last spring, one of the ladies we hired was in her late 40s/early 50s. Although she wasn't in her early 20s & fresh out of college, I was more than happy to bring her on board. She's extraordinarily dedicated and a gifted teacher.

Just keep in mind, too, that you'll be probationary for two years. As a currently tenured teacher, you've got lots of rights that probationary teachers don't have.