On the Job Injury: FUNNY STORY

Discussion in 'General Education' started by princessbloom, Jan 18, 2012.

1. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jan 18, 2012

So I jammed my finger today killing a cockroach. Yep! Took my shoe off to kill it and instead of bending, my finger straightened, came down and popped loudly. It's swollen. It's bruised. I sent my kids down to get ice for me which sent a red flag. They were sent back up to my room with OJI paperwork. HAHA! That was a lot of paperwork!
    OJI paperwork asked:
    Reason for injury: "There was a cockroach found in ______'s room. I was called over to help. I removed my shoe and pounded on top of the roach. At which point my finger did not bend. It popped loudly and immediately swelled and bruised."
    Ways injury could've been prevented:"By not killing said cockroach."

That's really what I wrote. And yes, it was in someone else's room that I was called in to.

Do you have any funny stories about on the job injuries? It IS pretty funny...as much as my finger is THROBBING!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2012

I've fallen a few times..icy playground, terrazzo floors. No laughing matters though.

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2012

I was warned by HR during orientation that the most commonly reported injuries by teachers happened in bathroom stalls. They then - very seriously - warned us to check for TP before *actually* using the restroom :dizzy:

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2012

I tripped over my own feet in the office and fell into the door and twisted my ankle.

A co-worker of mine had a girl with pepper spray on her key chain in her purse. A boy was goofing around with her and took her purse and she was trying to get it back. Something happened and the spray went off - the whole class, including the teacher, had to go to the nurse, and then home to shower and change.

I loved that we had a medical aid walk-in across the street from that school.

6. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jan 18, 2012

That is hilarious! But, go get an x-ray. My daughter jammed her finger this week and it ended up broken.

7. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jan 18, 2012

Broken? Really? Maybe I should. Especially if this throbbing doesn't stop by tomorrow! There's a constant pulsating going through my finger.

8. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jan 18, 2012

Definitely go. Finger fractures are very common but can lead to permanent issues if not treated correctly. My daughter has to wear a splint and keep the broken finger taped to the next finger for at least four weeks. No band and no gym for at least six weeks. Her finger hurt, but even with a fracture she could move and bend it! You can't tell on your own if it's broken or not.

9. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2012

I stepped on a tube of lip gloss and fell onto my shoulder on the way back in from a fire drill. Had to go to the ER, but nothing was broken. No funny story though.

10. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 19, 2012

Go go an x-ray tomorrow after work if it still hurts. Get your GP to call in a prescription for an x-ray at wherever you would normally get it (Hospitals are where I normally get mine, and they usually offer non-emergency x-rays until around 8 PM)

11. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jan 19, 2012

I'm going for an X-ray :)
    Though, on another note...one of my kids broke his leg today on the playground. He thought it might be fun to jump from the monkey bars to the other side of the playground. What a week! Poor little guy. He was in such agony. :(

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 19, 2012

I am a faller. I try not to, but I tend to find the only thing to fall on. Tripped up the steps? Check. Slip in the puddle of water by the ice machine? Check. Find the only hole on the playground while playing basketball with my class at recess? Check.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 20, 2012

Solid objects tend to be my enemies

Doors, walls, things of that nature

They love to jump out at me.

I usually have a few cuts/bruises on me at all times from bumping into things

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 20, 2012

Oh yes. Desks and tables like to jump out and get me too. For some reason I have migrating tables. I don't know how, but every day they move to a different spot than where they were at the beginning of the day. I've tried to research the migrating patterns of desks/tables, but there's no information out there yet. :lol:

15. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2012

8 years ago I was playing flag football with my 5th grade.
    One really tough kid was running with the ball so I swiped at him
    to grab his flag. I broke the ring finger on my right hand hitting
    him just right. I still have the xray somewhere. My first and only workmans comp thing.

16. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2012

'On the job' has another meaning over here!

17. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jan 21, 2012

Princessbloom, was it broken? Hope not!

18. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 21, 2012

When I taught 3rd grade I was constantly pushing desks back, they would creep to the front of the room!

This year I have kinders who move the tables!

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 21, 2012

It's the chairs that get me. They tilt the chairs so the back legs are up.

20. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jan 21, 2012

I thought it was my boys who were moving their desks, it's the girls!
    They inch their desks forward when they sit down and scoot their chairs up to the desk. The boys always sit way back away from their desks.
    I'm constantly running into their chairs, but no injuries from that,yet.

21. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jan 22, 2012

Thankfully, no! The doctor said I did manage to jam it pretty well though! Still bruised and swollen. She gave me a splint which has been helping. When it's your index finger it manages to be in the way no matter what you do!

My kid who fell on the playground ended up breaking his leg pretty badly though. At first I was really nervous that I might get into trouble at work. I was watching the playground, but didn't see his fall. He admitted that he made the poor choice to jump off the monkey bars. :unsure:

22. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jan 22, 2012

It's definitely an interesting submission. My stories of killing cockroaches are LEGENDARY.

By the way, I have fallen twice. The last time (this past May) was excruciating. I was out at our camping day and stepped into a hole that was covered by grass. I wore a boot for about 3-4 weeks afterwards. Sadly, I could ask my current students... and they'd still remember me for CRUNCH-CRUNCHing down the hallway when the Velcro made loud noises.

23. appleaday180

appleaday180 Rookie

Jan 24, 2012

Haha! That's too funny!

Boy, have I had my share of embarrassing moments in the classroom but none involving insects! Can't wait to share this in the Faculty Room tomorrow. : P