On The Job Hunt Again - Portfolio Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Kat03785, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Kat03785

Kat03785 Rookie

Apr 22, 2012

So after working for 4 years at the same school, I unexpectedly learned last week that they are not renewing my contract for next year. I was told I am a good teacher but "Kindergarten is not going in the direction that we want it to go" (I could write a whole post on this alone so I won't go into details.) Now I'm on the job hunt for the first time as an experienced teacher and need some advice.

My question is what kinds of things should I include in my portfolio for interviewing? The last time I made a portfolio was when I was student teaching so any advice would be helpful. We still have over a month left in school so if there are any ideas for lessons that I could do with the kids that would look good in a portfolio that would be super helpful as well. Thanks!

3. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

Apr 23, 2012

I would research Google for portfolio ideas. Personally, I have never made one, but if I did I would try to model other great portfolios I saw online.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2012

I would include student work, lessons with a reflection that demonstrate your teaching skills, copies of newsletters you've sent home, pictures, etc.

5. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Apr 24, 2012

I made up some complete lesson plan+all worksheets or handouts+student work on that lesson+photos of kids doing that lesson. I think it is nice to have a complete package of all of that together.

6. mommy3boys

mommy3boys Companion

Apr 24, 2012

So sorry to hear about that. I wish you the very best in your job hunt.

:)

7. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Rookie

Apr 24, 2012

I'm not big on portfolios, but people are getting more and more creative with electronic portfolios - those can be eye catching.

Even if you don't have much tech savvy, there are plenty of website templates out there (Wix comes to mind - Google it if you'd like) that make website design a breeze.

Then you can include the web address on your cover letter and/or resume. Even if a potential employer never follows the link (many are not overly interested in portfolios), what message does that website link send to them? It says that you are someone who is not afraid of technology and can hold their own in that area.

Too often people list skills such as "Proficient in Powerpoint" on their resume to demonstrate their skills with technology. Honestly though folks, most third graders know how to use Powerpoint in this day and age. We can do better than that!

Sorry, I think I got off on a complete tangent there... Wasn't intending to distract from the original posters inquiry!

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Apr 24, 2012

Portfolios really are not looked at unless you bring up something you want to show them. I would spend the bulk of my time worrying about writing a dynamic cover letter and an eye catching resume so that I can get an interview. As far as portfolio, this is how mine is set up but I have used it in an interview one time:

Record Check
    Professional Certificates/Praxis II Results
    Letters of Recommendation
    Educational Philosophy
    Awards/Certificates
    Observations
    Action Research
    Student Samples

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2012

I would spend some time taking pictures of how you set up your classroom, procedures, classroom management, bulletin boards, student work, keeping track of data, etc. This way you have them when you go to make a portfolio.