On students claiming teachers lost their work

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LimaUniformNovemberAlpha, Mar 16, 2021.

1. LimaUniformNovemberAlpha

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha Rookie

Mar 16, 2021

I've heard from teachers both before I started teaching and after that students would often falsely accuse teachers of losing their work just to get out of doing the work. Yet we also know that some teachers really DO lose student work. We can't afford to pretend either of these things never happens, and as well, finding out who's telling the truth and who's not is a vital clue to who not to believe on other things.

I don't recall hearing about that one in teacher training in particular, though. Are they too worried about offending voters to mention it in a publicly-funded program? Because I would think having a standard set of practices for dealing with this sort of thing (eg. scanning all assignments collected, etc.) might be more efficient in catching the liars. Or is it just a matter of having a "standard practice" meaning that you now have a standard set of ways people will come up with to get around it?

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 17, 2021

No offense, but I never would have had the time to scan every assignment collected. Also, I doubt voters would care much about this topic, even at public universities.
    I think if any teacher had the tendency to lose papers, it would become clear rather quickly and I would expect admin to deal with it.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 17, 2021

“You lost my paper” actually means . . .
    • I didn’t do my work, and my parents are mad about my grade, so I’ll pass the buck and blame the teacher.
    • The teacher is a hot mess, so I think I might be able to get him/her to believe it and give me points anyway.
    • It is in my locker or binder, but I don’t know that so blaming someone else seems like a good idea.
    • I didn’t put my name on it, so it ended up in the teacher’s no-name papers.
    • I put it in the wrong place when I turned it in, so it never made it to the teacher.
    I have never, not even once, lost ONE student’s paper. If it is a single student’s work, it falls into one of the above categories. I have, a few times, misplaced an entire set of papers. I’m organized, so there are not rogue papers loose for me to lose.

“You lost my paper.” Nope. Sure didn’t.

By the way, besides scanning every paper turned in to me being a total waste of time, it would do absolutely no good. Why? “You lost my paper before you were able to scan it”or some other variation. After teaching 1:1 paperless for a couple of years now, I can also tell you that even in a digital format, kids will tell me that they “did the work, but it accidentally got deleted” or “there was no attachment on my assignment”. Nope. Here is your blank assignment. Or here is the history of your document that shows you never opened it. Or, my favorite, where the history shows me that you deleted your attachment 5 minutes before you emailed me to tell me that it didn’t exist.”

mrsf70, Aces, Iris1001 and 1 other person like this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 18, 2021

This is one of the reasons that I have really enjoyed going paperless this year since we’ve been virtual and using an online platform. Either it’s submitted or it’s not. We’re starting to head back to the classroom but I don’t see myself ever using paper worksheets again in a major way. I might do it occasionally for students to get in the handwriting practice.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 18, 2021

Our school holds on to every single assignment completed by every single student. If a student claims something was turned in, I have a folder with their work from this school year. Additionally, every assignment that is turned in is documented by the subject teacher AND the mentor teacher.

7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 18, 2021

I feel like you’ve shared this before, but are you in a special type of program or a typical school? That seems like a lot of work.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 19, 2021

It IS a lot of work but it's worth it. I'm at a Dropout Prevention / Recovery (DOPR) school. We document like crazy because the majority of our students have fallen through multiple safety nets already.

mrsf70, Aces and a2z like this.
  9. Aces

Aces Habitué

Mar 20, 2021

This is honestly one of the things I really appreciate from the online learning environment. All of the assignments are in the eCampus environment. Either it was turned in or it wasn’t. And for most of ours they’re automatically graded and the grade is added to the virtual grade book.

otterpop likes this.
  10. tuankiet153

tuankiet153 Rookie

Mar 21, 2021

Yes. This is common to most lazy students who try to get their ass out of their parents’ consequences. So, the best way for them is to blame wrong doings for teachers. If you are not organized enough to trust the parents, the parents definitely trust their child even though they know their child lie. I confronted 2 sceneriors in terms of missing assignments:
    1. Since parents know I am so organized, and their child being lazy at home, they trust me. But very few parents would do this since they tend to lean on their child most cases.
    2. 90% parents act this way. They stand with their child side blaming me for losing their child work. I assigned my excellent to collect work each day and had him/her check mark on the roster who turned in, who did not. This is a strong evidence when we have the conference.

mrsf70 and Tired Teacher like this.
  11. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2021

I had a super easy way of avoiding this problem for many years. ( I must have gotten slammed by liars early in my career.) I collected all of the assignments together and just stapled them altogether. If someone didn't turn the assignment in, the other kids noticed. Then if a kid tried to say I didn't grade their paper, I could quickly look and see if there was a staple slit in the corner. If not, they had not turned it in to me. The kids never figured it out. If a parent thought I lost something, I could show them examples I had sitting stapled. They usually then found the assignment. Still once in awhile, I'd have kids swear that I did not grade a paper. It usually had been sitting in their desk and had no stable slit. The trick was never letting them know what I was looking for! :)

otterpop and tuankiet153 like this.
  12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 25, 2021

I had to argue with another teacher about a student claiming she had turned in work. Her homeroom teacher took her side and was sure I had lost it. Thankfully, because our system is so exact, I was able to show documentation of what I had received AND what the school sent out to this student while she was learning from home. WHEW!

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 25, 2021

I had a teacher who did that in school and I had no idea why she did that! Now I know LOL

Tired Teacher likes this.
  14. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2021

I think early on, I got wise to those who said they'd turned it in or that I'd lost it. I remember questioning myself even then. I think it was my way of making sure I lost nothing and had some proof. Plus, it was so simple. So now you know.....lol

15. LimaUniformNovemberAlpha

Mar 26, 2021

Might want to give other teachers a heads-up about such students. Some new teachers honestly aren't sure they didn't lose student work and knowing which students were or weren't that dishonest could help guide their perception of what is more likely.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 26, 2021

We work in teams, so the other teachers know such information.

17. LimaUniformNovemberAlpha

Mar 30, 2021

What about future professors or employers of theirs, though? Shouldn't they know this as well?

EDIT: Also, I feel like your list of options from earlier in the thread missed a legitimate option; a genuine misunderstanding between students and teachers on which of the two "lost" the work.

At one prep school I worked at, the email filters were ludicrously strict about which email domains they'd accept emails from. So when I asked students to email me their video projects, I'd receive some of them, but not all the ones that were finished and sent. I assumed they didn't send their projects, and gave them zero. This gave me a reputation for "losing" student work that their classmates then exploited to get out of doing future projects. I didn't realize this until after I set another video project later in the school year whilst being relatively better organized and noticed that even some of my best students seemed to not have sent the videos, only to realize they sent them from an email domain the school doesn't accept emails from.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 30, 2021

That’s easy enough to check. If a student says they sent the work, but you didn’t receive it, it’s a simple check to see if it was sent.

19. LimaUniformNovemberAlpha

Mar 31, 2021

Yeah, I just wish someone had told me sooner that the email system worked that way. Granted, I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions either, but a whole lot of trouble could've been saved if I had a more reliable means to receive video projects.

EDIT: And for the record, I had since asked students if they sent video projects they missed and they transferred them to my computer via jump drive. The ones who didn't... well, their assignments were marked best 6 out of 8 anyway so even if a couple people didn't get a chance to send in their digital ones the only consequence was being graded best 6 out of 7 instead of out of 8.

20. Poojasharma

Poojasharma New Member

Apr 7, 2021

May be this will be an reason

21. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Apr 7, 2021

I have always informed my students that "if" they ever needed to get rid of a murder weapon to toss it on a teacher's desk, it will never be found.