On school dress codes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LimaUniformNovemberAlpha, Feb 17, 2021.

1. LimaUniformNovemberAlpha

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha Rookie

Feb 17, 2021

When I was teaching in a prep school in China, dress codes were enforced by female employees who went from classroom to classroom, inspecting the students, and making notes about who was violating the dress code such that consequences could be meted out afterwards.

In western schools, on the other hand, I was afraid to even point out violations of the dress code, on account of teenagers' collective reputation for calling male teachers pedophiles for enforcing it. Make no mistake, this was a selfish, cowardly act of appeasement on my part. A person of honour would feel even MORE compelled to enforce the dress code, not less, if only to fight back against such slanderers. (Fortunately, the western schools at which I taught were cold enough that obvious enough dress code violations causing any obvious harm weren't a thing anyway.) That and I've since changed careers.

But I don't think it's realistic to expect people to endure false accusations of just about one of the worst things a teacher could be, just to enforce dress codes that could be enforced some other way.

Why isn't the rest of the world doing what that prep school in China does? Is it because they're afraid to have anything in common with China? That'd be like saying Hitler ate sugar.

Is it because they're afraid to subject any female employee to the tedious burden of inspecting students' appearance? If so, why is it any more acceptable to subject any janitor; male or female; to the tedious burden of cleaning up messes students made? Do they really think accusations of being a pedophile are as damaging if one's a woman as if one's a man?

Do they secretly side with those slanderers on opposition to the dress code? If so, why do they re-elect school board trustees who support dress codes? (Or for that matter, why do they not ask themselves why they are on the same side of the issue as such slanderers?)

Do they secretly side with those slanderers on making male teachers out to be inherently pedophiles? If so, why do they re-elect school board trustees who hire men as teachers at all?

I say the rest of the world needs to immediately do what that prep school did. Every voter, in every school board election, has a decision to make; you can stand with us, or you can stand with the slanderers.

sara nazari likes this.
  3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 18, 2021

...we don't all have dress codes?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  4. sara nazari

sara nazari New Member

Feb 18, 2021

My last School had dress code for girls only, and I disagreed with that. now I like A to Z group for helping students and teachers to better performance.

5. LimaUniformNovemberAlpha

Feb 18, 2021

Well, ideally dress codes should have stipulations for male AND female students, but let's keep it real here, female students don't have quite as strong a reputation for dealing with horniness quite as severe. The same people who complain dress codes aren't "gender-neutral" are the same people who are more often caught responding to a guy they disagree with through a cheap shot about his virginity than a gal they disagree with through a cheap shot about hers. That wouldn't occur to them at all if they didn't assume male virginity implied undesirability more than it did for female virginity, which, in turn, wouldn't occur to them at all if they didn't consider men easier to arouse than women.

As well, if a girl becomes aroused it's not going to be as visible, and in turn, not as embarrassing.

Last but not least, it is confirmed by the tendency of those who say otherwise to be wrong about everything else. I remember like it was yesterday being so obsessed with my crushes in my own teen years that I'd be more excited to be near my crush who's in a modest jacket than to be around all the other girls who are in their swimsuits. So when people who preach this "gender-neutral" BS mistake me for "projecting" my own nature onto others, I can only extrapolate their tendency to be wrong to other things.

6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2021

If there is a dress code, it should be based on the item of clothing rather than the perceived gender of the student since not all students identify as male or female. For example, shorts/skirts must come past the fingertips. Doesn't matter who wears them.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    RainStorm and Tired Teacher like this.
  7. LimaUniformNovemberAlpha

Feb 18, 2021

If a student has a medical condition that may make eating something on short notice a literal matter of life or death, they can carve out a "no food in the classroom" exception for that student without revoking the entirety of the rule. (Okay, sometimes not even that at all schools; although I've always thought "just clean up after yourself" made more sense anyway.) No rule could realistically expect to apply to every possible student.

I'm sure skirt length and the like can be made gender-neutral, but I wouldn't presume to claim to know whether or not everything can be. And at the end of the day, anything that's perceived as disproportionately targeting clothing that tends to be worn by girls is going to be perceived as "discriminatory" anyway. We can't afford to ignore the hormones that are at least part of the reason these dress codes are so necessary.

EDIT: For the record, I do not intend to compare merely being intersex to harmful medical exceptionalities, except by the fact that exceptions to the norm are distinct from the norm.

Feb 26 edit:

As if on cue, I have since found a case of a student complaining that a (female!) teacher was "sexualizing" her by ascribing sexual motives to an outfit that she... claims wasn't intended to be sexual. Because heaven forbid someone actually have knowledge of what outfits have a history of causing sexual thoughts in hormone-addled teenage boys.

https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/ne...propriate-for-a-kamloops-classroom-1.24286048

There's just no getting through to these people, is there? -.-

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  8. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2021

1) They're not necessary.
    2) As you've pointed out yourself, you've become more aroused if the girl you like is wearing a jacket and others are around in swimsuits. So it's not the clothes.
    3) I have a knowledge of what outfits have a history of causing sexual thoughts in hormone-addled teen boys. It's all of them.
    4) Schools have a very strong tendency towards authoritarianism. Some of it is necessary. Many dress codes are not.
    5) The way to avoid slanderous accusations is to make the dress code clear and precise. “Worn in a way that detracts from the teaching/learning process.” is not clear and precise, and therefore does not belong in a dress code.

CaliforniaRPCV and Backroads like this.
  9. LimaUniformNovemberAlpha

Feb 26, 2021

1. According to whom?

2. I never claimed to be a representative sample of 3 and a half billion people. You know what comes closer to being that, though? The aforementioned reasoning in the very same post you're referencing about who does or doesn't have said "tendency to be wrong."

3. Not necessarily equally so. If anyone really felt the outfit makes no difference, that'd be all they felt the need to say. They wouldn't need any of this other stuff about accusing teachers of being "sexualizing" them, because heaven forbid we ascribe sexual motives to the clothing choices of a demographic so notoriously hormone addled they risk the dire poverty associated with pregnancy and/or child support bills.

4. Again, according to whom?

5. No, the way to avoid slanderous accusations is to cut them off at the source; the slanderers themselves. To fight back. Anything less is appeasement.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 27, 2021

Dress codes are very, very common in everyday life. I’m not sure why people get so bent out of shape over school dress codes.

vickilyn and Backroads like this.