On pins and needles!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by fratbrats, Aug 2, 2012.

1. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

Hey everyone,

I just interviewed for a teaching postion yesterday. I actually have taught at this school before, but my special ed program was moved to another campus. When I found out that this position opened up, I immediately emailed the principal with my resume', philosophy of teaching, two reference letters, and my reference page. Two former colleagues also emailed this principal on my behalf. I was invited to interview within 2 days.

When I went to the interview, I handed the principal and assistant principal a resume' package, which included a new cover letter addressed to both of them. I also had made extra copies of my resume' and handed those to the teachers on the interview panel. Luckily, I knew all 3 teachers and one of them wished me luck before the interview.

Here's the hard part, I get really, really nervous during interviews! When the principal was telling me about when he looked to fill this position, one of the teachers touched my arm and said, "Your hired!"
    He mentioned that he's had several strong candidates, myself included.

When I left the interview, I felt great. Then I started thinking about how I answered some of the questions and began shrinking like a violet! I've been sick to my stomach ever since yesterday.

He did say that he'd make a decision on this position by the end of this week or next. There are actually a few positions available. The district is closed on Friday's during the summer, so it might be next.

I did send him and everyone on the panel a thank you email. I may go ahead and mail him a thank you tomorrow, so that he'll receive it on Monday.

I just keep thinking that I completely blew it with my nerves. I dislike interviews so much! Even when I was on an interview panel, I was nervous. It's so silly!

What do you think? :help:

3. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

I'm sure you did fine! Try to relax and not over-think it! I know that's easier said than done....

4. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

Thanks! It is hard for me. I've always been hard on myself. I'm just so looking for a new challenge in teaching. I'm also worried that my current principal won't let me go, since school begins at the end of the month. (I'm not sure if they are allowed to do that or not?)

5. heartofateacher

heartofateacher Companion

Aug 2, 2012

Despite your nervousness, it seems that you made a good impression and did all of the right things. I'm sure you made a big impressions with how you presented yourself...most people don't think to do those things anymore. Instead of focusing on the things you think you answered poorly, give yourself a pat on the back for all of the good things you did. Good luck!!! :hugs:

6. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

I'm in Texas also. In my district letting a teacher out of their contract is in the sole hands of the principal. If you have a good relationship with him/her I'm sure You both could work something out.

7. heartofateacher

Aug 2, 2012

With the surplus of teachers (well I know there is a surplus in my area), it probably won't be an issue. I resigned from my previous teaching position and accepted a new one after the required acknowlegment date with no problems...for this reason. My old principal was very accommodating and supportive. Does your principal know that you are seeking a position somewhere else?

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2012

Good luck! Does your P know you are looking? Might want to give him/her a heads up! Is the school within your district? It might make the transfer easier.

9. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

The schools are in the same district and our contracts only state "teacher" as the position. They don't name a campus, so that they can move you around.

Last year, two of our teachers left in August to other districts and there were no consequences for them.

10. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

He knows that I've applied within our district, I let him know in June, :)

11. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

Oh, then you should be good to go!:thumb:

12. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

I tried to dress very professionally with a jacket and I even wore hose! Yikes! It was 107. I had read not to take anything to drink with you, not even water. I thought that I was going to die. They all had large drinks on the table, so perhaps a bottle of water, would have been okay. :) My water was in the car, so I drank along the way and when I got back in the car, about an hour later.

13. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2012

Good luck! Don't second guess yourself! The people on the committee thought you did really well so you should trust in yourself!

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2012

Good luck! It sounds like you did well! I know that I always do that after interviews, where I sit there and review my answers and then I'm like dang! I should have said this or that! Let us know!

15. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2012

Good luck!

16. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 3, 2012

Thanks everyone! I still have that sinking feeling in my stomach! I hope it goes away soon! :)

17. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Aug 3, 2012

I felt the same way about my interview! Thought for sure I would never get the job but I did! You did great I am sure! Hope to see you on the New Jobs list soon!

18. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 5, 2012

Thanks! :)

19. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 6, 2012

I still didn't hear anything today. I'm hoping that no news, is good news! :)

20. smalltowngal

Aug 6, 2012

When did they say they would let you know?

21. Johari's Window

Johari's Window Companion

Aug 6, 2012

I haven't heard anything today from either of my interviews. One county BOE met tonight. So, I guess if I haven't heard a thing by Wed. I will assume no go and force myself to look into plan B. 8(

22. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 6, 2012

The principal said that he'd be making a decision by the end of last week or this. (Our district was closed Friday.) I guess since it seemed like a long weekend, that I'd hear something today. Lol! :)

23. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 6, 2012

Good luck, I hope that you hear something soon! :)

24. smalltowngal

Aug 6, 2012

I'd wait until Wed before contacting anyone.

25. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2012

Fingers still crossed for you!!

26. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 7, 2012

Thanks! :)

I wonder how long I should wait for a follow up email? (I did send a thank you email to the entire panel on the day of the interview.) The interview was this past Wednesday. The principal said that he'd fill the positions at the end of last week or this. Our district was closed on Friday, so it's really only been 3 business days since the interview. He said that HR would contact the the applicants, if they are offered a position.

27. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2012

If they said last week or this week, I'd probably wait until at least Monday, but that's just me. The waiting part is so hard, but like you said, it's only been 3 business days. :hugs:

28. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 7, 2012

Okay, I can do that! Luckily, I'm headed out of town tomorrow, so I will be distracted! :) (I did figure out last night how to check messages on my answering machine, just in case!)
    I just applied for another position on that campus, so maybe it will be another reminder that I'm really interested in teaching there.
    Thanks again! :)

29. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 9, 2012

Ugh! Well, it appears that it's not going to happen. It's the end of the week and still no word. I'm so depressed! :(

30. Johari's Window

Aug 9, 2012

:haha:Well, lucky for you the P. said HR would contact you. You know with the influx of things they must do you can have some hope.

I'm trying not to become bitter because my last interview seemed so great and the P. could have at least made sure I got a reject letter. I'm so tempted to write an email thanking her for the opportunity and sorry I was not the correct fit...remember me, if your #1 does not work out. Of course, I won't.

31. smalltowngal

Aug 9, 2012

frat~I would call or email Monday.

32. heartofateacher

Aug 9, 2012

:eek: Water would've probably been okay! But you survived. :)

33. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

:hugs:

34. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 15, 2012

Well, it wasn't meant to be. The principal sent me a really nice email on Saturday thanking me for interviewing, but that another candidate was selected.

Ironically, one of the teachers on the panel sent me an email asking if I had heard anything. She thought that the interview went well. :)

35. Johari's Window

Aug 15, 2012

I'm sorry to hear that Fratbrats. Perhaps, she thought the job was yours and an internal hire happened (after the fact). I hope something comes your way.

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2012

Ah, I'm sorry.