On a scale of 1 to 10...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lemonhead, May 29, 2008.

1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 29, 2008

I'd like some insight please.

How would you rank your first year of teaching on a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is way easier than people lead you to believe and 10 is way harder than people lead you to believe?

Feel free to elaborate on any aspect such as what surprised you the most, what area was the most difficult or why you give it the rating you give it.

FYI my concerns are guided reading and keeping myself organized so that I am not at school until 10pm!

Lemon

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

May 29, 2008

My first year was MUCH harder than I envisioned. I learned an awful lot about being organized, planning more efficiently and prioritizing. I would rate my first year as an 8.

4. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

May 29, 2008

I posted on the party thread. :)

5. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 29, 2008

I'd have to say a 4. College didn't prepare me for the paper work and admin. side of things. I wish my college study was more practical.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 29, 2008

I love the idea for this thread. I'm also concerned about staying past 10 in the evening :/

7. MsX

MsX Companion

May 29, 2008

I'd say 6. I had a two year teaching internship (kinda like student teaching but longer and a few more responsibilities), so I think this really helped to prepare me for being on my own. Nevertheless, you're never REALLY ready to just enter a classroom when EVERYTHING is up to you. It's a lot of decisions to make. I dont think it was impossible, but definitely tricky

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 29, 2008

I don't think any schools prepare you for that side of things. I know my school had us fill out sample IEP forms and even report cards for our practicum classes, but I don't think it'll do me much good.

Not to mention that the politics of each school unfortunately cannot be taught.

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 29, 2008

I would say my first year was a 6... I knew it would be hard, but it was a lot harder than I expected. Staying at work late and the expenses were things that my dh didn't expect (both of those things bothered him more than they bothered me). I have improved in a lot of ways since then.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 29, 2008

My first year went pretty well. Teaching nine grade levels your first year teaching can seem pretty scary before you start. Once I got the routine down it went wonderful. I would say a 6 in September and by January a two.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 29, 2008

I posted in the party thread as well. :D

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 29, 2008

I would say a 2. I taught pre-k/early childhood classrooms for 7 years before I finished my degree and teach kindergarten now. Most of the things I learned transfer over to kindergarten. I also interned in kindergarten and my mentor teacher was awesome. She was very honest about what to expect and let me copy her files when we found out that I was hired to teach the same grade. I also had an extensive amount of teacher books before I even started that came in handy. Sometimes I left earlier than other days but usually I went in about 45 minutes before the kids and stayed an hour after them. That is still my general schedule but I can get out by 3:30 if I am very disciplined during the day. The number one thing that saves me is to use the conference period wisely. It is easy to spend it chatting or checking e-mail instead of running copies and writing plans. I do talk to my co-workers, I just make sure to get my work done so that I can go home at the end of the day! For guided reading I use bins that have group numbers on them. I keep the books for that group in the bin for at least a week and I put their folders in the same bin (they are from Really Good Stuff). Their folders have one page with their word bank and one side with the reading log. My organization is not perfect. However, my files are in good shape now for next year, organized by theme, as are my books. I also plan to start a binder with my homework and morning work all in one spot organized by week. My MW and HW tend to go with what we are learning so having it all pulled and ready will be a big help in the future.

13. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 29, 2008

Mine would have to be at least an 8 or a 9. I signed up for my Masters, which is a co-hort so I can't quit without losing all my credit. Then I got a job... and a week later I found out I was pregnant. Then 4 weeks into the new school year I was displaced to another school. I was supposed to take over for another teacher....who didn't leave for another 2 months :) It was an insane year! I loved it and know that I have definitely learned from it. But wow was it hard!

14. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

May 29, 2008

I'd have to say a 3. Being a para at the same school where I now teach really prepared me.

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 29, 2008

I'd say a 6 for me. I was a full year LTS position in kinder, but I started off the year with the teacher I was replacing, which was amazing for me. She had the baby the third week of school, so then I was on my own. I had a good mentor, but she taught 4th grade, so that made it a bit difficult at times for her to understand what I was going through. I had some great co-workers though and really got a lot out of it. Sometimes I still miss it there, but there were no positions the following year. :)

16. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

May 29, 2008

I had the exact same experience especially with my DH, but I would rate my year at an 8 or a 9. The student behavior, paper work, and organization were hardest for me. I also spent a lot of late nights and a lot more money than I want to admit.

17. queenie

queenie Groupie

May 29, 2008

This is a TOUGH question! Some days it was a 1, and others it was a 10! I don't even know!

I think I made it harder than it needed to be and took things way too seriously, but learned a LOT from it! When a child wouldn't behave, I assumed I was the one who was unable to figure him out and make him behave...The first six weeks I counted EVERYTHING as a grade! By the last six weeks it didn't phase me at all to checkmark some papers and chalk them up to practice...Saved SO much time! I also got my routine down (just about the time for school to be over).

I'd have to say that the year, in all, was easier than I expected, but it could have been much easier if I had been less anal. :unsure:

I'm looking SO forward to next year!!

18. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 30, 2008

Thank you so far everyone. I think that email can just take up way too much time. I'll need to very diciplined during planning as well. Ours is the last period of the day.

Hopefully the fact I have been in the building and LTSed there will help me but I still worry. A few of you have said you spent a lot of money during the year. How much is a lot and what did you spend it on? Hijacking my own thread.

19. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

May 30, 2008

I agree and my first year of teaching was 13 years ago. Hoping that colleges are preparing better. :love:

20. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 30, 2008

Lemon, I don't want to hijack your thread either, but I'd just like to add one tidbit, if it's ok :)

Why did you spend so much? Were you never given a budget at all, or was it so minimal that you blew right through it?

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 30, 2008

I'd say 6. My 1st yr of teaching was rather different from most teachers. I was brand new to not only teaching, but special ed (RSP) teaching, so I was the only type of teacher on my campus. That makes it hard since I can't just knock on the next door teacher's room if I'm having trouble. There were many days when I was walking to my car at 3pm on the dot.

RSP teachers, usually start working w/ students about 2 wks after the 1st day of school & may stop seeing students a few days before the last day of school.

The circumstances that were unusual for me was there were 2-3 days where we had these all-day major IEP meetings for a couple of students that were very special circumstances.

Also, I wasn't teaching for the last 2 mos of the yr due to being a juror on a case, so I still got my teacher salary & met w/ new people & we went tout to lunch daily!

22. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 30, 2008

I think mine would be an 8 or probably a 9. I started teaching right after I graduated, midyear. It was the grade in which I student taught which was helpful. But I had a lot of kids, a lot of difficult kids. They hadn't had a stable teacher until I got there. In March one of the girls was like, "Are you our REAL teacher Miss Kirby?" AWW. I loved those kids but it was just sooooo difficult. The parents, especially!!! Yikes. :eek:

23. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

May 30, 2008

I love this thread & like Lemon I am concern too. Would love to hear more. As a new teacher, I also have to find time to take all these professional development courses that my district requires. I also have a couple of weekends that I will have to do for my ACP. I definitely want to stay organize & on top of things. Appreciate the feedback.

24. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 30, 2008

Definatley a 10. My philosophy now is I survived that so I can survive anything. It was the year from hell. I almost didn't return to the profession.

25. matchstickgirl

matchstickgirl Companion

May 30, 2008

For my first year teaching, I have to say a 5. There was so much planning to be done and I was never given a mentor teacher, so I did everything on my own! Which got a bit hectic. The only reason this year was mostly easy was because I had the best class on Earth. Seriously! I never had to send a kid to the office, or write a referral. A few detentions yes. But there is not one kid I wish was not here. Now I'm really scared for my second year, because I don't know if I'll ever get another class like this!!!

26. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 30, 2008

I am sorry RW/S! Do you care to elaborate?

27. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

May 30, 2008

I'd love to hear responses on this topic from ACP teachers with a least one years' experience. Any out there?

28. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 30, 2008

About an 8. So much planning, dealing with behavior and coming up with something that worked, parents, colleagues...It wasn't easy, but easier than some first year teachers have had.

My second year was the one from .... Well, it was a 10, and not in a good way.

If I say it went downhill from there, I mean downhill towards 1, which is good.:confused:

29. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 30, 2008

I don't want to give too many details for fear someone might recognize me, but my story in a nutshell is this: I was far from home in a very different part of the country and knew almost no one. I had a small class, but the combination of personalities was like a time bomb-they fed off of each other like you wouldn't believe. I honestly felt at the time (though I really don't know if this is true or not) that my partner teacher kind of handpicked the kids she wanted and left me with a lot of the stronger willed personalities. I also felt she was kind of snotty and not at all helpful. Other teachers were for a while. I didn't get any backup from the administration at all. After a while I just kind of got the impression they expected me to sink or swim on my own. It was a very difficult and lonely time. I have never felt so isolated and alone. I ended up pulling out of the whole profession for a couple years and only then decided to sub just to see how badly I really wanted to try this teaching thing again. It's been eight years and counting. I can't imagine doing anything else.

30. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

May 31, 2008

I had NO idea what I had gotten into.

I laughed a little, cried a lot, and prayed constantly.

Year two was a 3.

Kelly :)

31. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 31, 2008

It wavered between a nine and a three. Some days went well and lots of days went very badly.