On a Scale of 1-10, How Happy Are You Currently?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 13, 2011

I've been averaging about a 2-3 for the past two years.

2. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Mar 13, 2011

What is it about him that she can't get past? Maybe it is something that has to do with her own issues, rather than his??

3. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Mar 13, 2011

I think my average this years is a bit higher than last year of 7 to 9.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 13, 2011

I'll PM you.

5. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Mar 13, 2011

At work: about 6 -- stressed about several things, but trying to make the best of it, or at least not freak out over it

At home: Anywhere from 3 to 8, depending.

All together, averaged: I would say about 6.5

6. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Mar 14, 2011

Looking at the big picture, I would be embarassed to say anything less than 10. I just have to look at the photos of Japan to feel my nitpicky little problems could cause unhappiness in my life. What's that saying? #1. Don't sweat the small stuff. #2. It's ALL small stuff.

7. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2011

I am definitely a 10, just thanking God more and more each day that I wake up next to my husband, see my children's faces, and my grandbaby. I have wonderful siblings who are supportive and a great circle of friends on top of that a relationship with the most high personage in the universe. What more can a girl want!

8. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Mar 25, 2011

(warning TMI)
    march 7th i had a c section with complications. they discovered i had a spinal condition, but they thought the anesthesia would still work. Well it didn't to their surprise, so I felt it when the surgery began. I could feel the blade and feel my skin opening. I couldn't even speak, but thankfully the anestheisologists saw my facial expression and after yet another attempt and them not knowing what went wrong, he decided to put me completely under for the surgery.

After bring released from the hospital I would have 2 ER visits...hypothermia, forceful shaking, freezing to my bones, legs and feet swollen 3 times their original size so walking was painful...doc says my blood count got so low that fluid was leaking from my cells...I was in the range for a blood transfusion.

I was wondering if I was going to ever get to raise this beautiful little princess I had just given birth to, and if my husband and I were really going to grow old together.

Somethings that were NOT on my mind during this scare were teaching issues and teaching jobs, bills, student loans, finances...stuff that is usually always on my mind and causing me grief.

Baby girl is healthy, I'm better, and a 10 because thank God I'm not in some hospital bed somewhere, or worse.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2011

I think I've already responded on this thread, but I'm still hovering at a 9/10...I have awesome kids, a great dh, and I love my job.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2011

Ditto.

It's so funny.. you never really internalize the whole "If you've got your health, you've got everything" thing until suddenly you DON'T.

There's not much more I could ask for in my life. I love my family, my job, my friends. As I said on another thread here today about jobs, "I'm living the dream."

11. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Mar 25, 2011

Health is the best wealth.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2011

With family right in there.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2011

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2011

webmistress, so glad you are better...sounds terribly scary. :hugs:

15. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2011

Webmistress, I can definitely identify with you. I was at blood transfusion state, but because of my religious beliefs I choose an alternate form of treatment to build up my blood count. (Please don't turn my choice into a debate.) This may also be TMI, but I passed out while having what I thought was a bowel movement, but I was bleeding rectally. I am grateful dd3 had enough sense to call 911. By the time they arrived, I was hemorrhaging on the floor. I was transferred to a hospital that was familiar with treating patients who do not accept blood products. I spent five days in ICU because of low blood pressure caused by loss of blood. I was diagnosed with colon cancer and my tumor was bleeding. Surgeon was afraid that I would bleed out again, so he scheduled surgery before releasing me from the hospital. I was in the hospital for 18 days altogether and I give all the glory to God for allowing me to come home to my family. I have this plaque in my house that would surmise it all, "The most important things in life are: Faith, Family, & Friends." Many of the things that you thought were so important are trivial now. So even on my bad days, I am a 10 because I have life. Prayerfully I have four chemo treatments left and I can move on with my life.

16. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2011

Love you DHE......... and may God bless you....:hugs:

17. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2011

Thanks Major

18. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Mar 25, 2011

I am a five most days, sometimes a four. I feel guilty because there are so many people out there that are in much worse situations than me and I am so lucky in a lot of ways.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 25, 2011

DHE, so glad you're better these days. God is good indeed!

So true. I certainly don't take good health for granted. WIthout it, one has nothing.

Don't feel guilty. Although there are millions of people who are worse off, that doesn't mean we should blow off or undermine our unhappiness & tell ourselves to just suck it up. We're still humans too after all & deserve contentment & a good life.

20. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 25, 2011

A good day , a nurse once told me is when you're not 6 feet below the ground. Very blunt but I remember that when I think I'm having a bad day. AT least there are other days and we can choose our attitude even when we can't control what happens in life!

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2011

You're also dealing with health issues that the most of the rest of us can't even fathom. No need for guilt on top of all that.

22. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Mar 26, 2011

Thanks Alice. I do feel happy that I am such amazing people around me who would help me in an instant if I asked.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2011

And don't be afraid to ask, Sue. They're sitting around helpless, trying to help but afraid of offending or hurting you by asking. Let them know what you need. It will be a relief for them to have a concrete idea of what they can do.

24. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Mar 26, 2011

Thank you JustMe, it was scary. I had the most troubling, eerie feeling come over me, thankfully it was just a feeling.

So true Ms I, I have never taken my good health for granted even before this scare. I'm even grateful that I don't have allergies to this pollen that plagues many people in my area.

DHE what a powerful post. :hugs::hugs: That is quite a lot to deal with. I know it takes a huge amount of mental stamina and faith to deal with a long-term illness. I couldn't agree more on...faith, family, friends, (but not finances like I've been obsessed with) :D.

I've been reflecting and the fact that teaching jobs and finances were not on my mind during the times I was in the ER speaks volumes to me. Finances and jobs are extremely important without a doubt, but in the grand scheme of things, they are still not worth causing grief and too much stress amidst the many many blessings right in my face.
    I'm thus finally at peace with how teaching has worked out or not worked out for me, I'm at peace with where I am with teaching, and I'm at peace with whatever future I may have in the field and I'm certainly not letting the public and media controversy get to me on a personal level anymore. I'm really at peace with it all!

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 26, 2011

webmistress, I'm glad you're at peace.

26. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2011

Sue, my father had lots of trouble acknowledging that he needed help from others including his family. He felt less of a man because he needed assistance. I have learned that asking for help is not a sign of weakness, but I sign of strength. The prophet Micah says that we should know our limitations.

Webmistress, thanks a lot! I know that I am blessed not to have financial problems at this time. It is only because of the insurances that I have. If you haven't looked into it, check with your creditors to see if your account carries disability insurance. I have two accounts that will be paid off by the time I go back to work.

I also give praises to God for having such a supportive family& a great circle of friends.

27. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 27, 2011

I once heard something profound in a Sunday school class that I have since repeated at least a dozen times to other people:

When you decline assistance or don't seek it when you need it, you are denying others a chance to serve God.

I'm not sure that is verbatim what I heard but that's what I got from it. People want to help. Doing so not only makes them feel good but it gives them a chance to serve God. God works through people.

Even if you are or are not a Christian, I have learned that people really do want to help. Sometimes you don't even really have to outright ask, but just mention what it is you need and people, if they are in the season of listening and seeking for ways to reach out, will respond. Recently I just mentioned how overwhelmed I feel with all this unpacking on Facebook. The next thing I know, I had someone offering IMMEDIATE assistance within 15 minutes of me posting. While this person is a dear friend, we haven't seen each other in 10 years and the gesture stunned me a little though perhaps it shouldn't have.

What do I mean by season of listening and seeking? There are times in our lives when we are more inward or busy focusing on what we need to do to get through. We all have these periods in our lives. So when people don't respond, I often find that it isn't a rebuke but rather they've hit this season (for a variety of reasons). Most people, given the chance, are seeking. It's just that most of us aren't sharing what it is we need so others can help.

I think I've always known this lesson but it is being reaffirmed for me right now. When people offer something, they are really reaching out either because they need to help someone, want to show you love, or because they want to either build a friendship or deepen one. Paying in kind is also equally rewarding. Again, we all have our seasons when this comes up more than others.

But more than anything, I'm trying (in a not so concise way) to tell you that asking for help and accepting it actually has positive affects beyond what it is you are needing in that moment. So don't hesitate, even if it is small and even if it is something you could technically do for yourself. People want to help. Let them.

While this is directed at Sue, it is my 2 cents for everybody.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2011

That was magnificent, Cut.

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 9, 2011

How's everyone feeling these days? :)

Once I get a job, it will be even better! :D

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

Sue...if you check in, know our thoughts are still with you.

31. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

My love life, I would say a big 10!!!! My career, I'd say about a 5. I'm happy to have a job, but I'm not happy at what I'm doing. Looking at other avenues that would keep me in education, but not necessarily in the classroom.

32. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 9, 2011

Probably a 4-5 on the high side. I don't think I'm ever above a 7.

I'm feeling really low most days and only have the energy to hang out, surfin' the internet and avoid the real world as much as possible.

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 9, 2011

I'm sorry. :hugs: What needs to happen to make you happier?

34. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 9, 2011

I would say about a 5 in general.

A 9 with my job.

35. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 9, 2011

Im at a 5.....emotional stress worrying abt people I care abt and not having fulfilled all of my lifes purpose!

36. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 9, 2011

4. sigh.

37. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2011

I'd still put my personal life at a nine...maybe an eight just because I have got to get this house in order so I don't feel the stress of it. Professionally, I went up a notch to a five. Beginning of the year good feelings (relatively, obviously), I guess.

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

How are you feeling, Sue?

I'm guessing the start of the school year has you down a bit??? Do you have any projects you can start to blur the start of the year?

39. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2011

I helped my 92 year old mother with her bath, first time ever. I took the day to take her to several doctor appts.
    I am sad inside. This is my mom.
    My husband's mother is fading with cancer. He spent a week with her and he is in charge of finding good care for her, etc.
    We are in a very strange time in our lives, but we carry on and don't grumble. It's just a very unusual time for us, that's all.
    Rate my life on 1 to 10? I have no idea how to do that.

40. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2011

With work I would say about a 5. I have a job, know how to do it, and enjoy small parts of it.
    In general/Overall, probably about a 7. Though I range any where between a 3 and a 9 in small bursts.