On a roll tonight-Communication and Behavior Log

Discussion in 'General Education' started by VANewbie, Jul 22, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 22, 2010

I'm trying to get really prepared tonight. I am going through all my stuff and trying to get ready for next year. I have posted about 50 times in 10 mins. lol

Okay I have homework folders for the kids. I am wanting to put some sort of communication log and weekly behavior form in the folder. I'm not sure if I want both but I do want the communication log.

How do you all use yours? Is this just a place where you write down anytime you talk to the parents. Like you write the dates or is this a place where you leave room for the parents to communicate with you daily.
    Kindof like you can write concerns back and forth. Normally I just have a spot for important notes so I am not sure how this would work.

Ideas...or any communication logs you can share?

3. missalli

missalli Companion

Jul 22, 2010

I'm going to start using something like this this year. Each student will have a pocket folder with prongs... one side of the folder will be for homework to be returned Friday, the other side will be work from the previous week going home, and in the prongs will be the communication log where I can write notes about homework, classwork and any general comments about behavior that weren't crucial enough for me to call home about right when it happened.

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

My folders do not have prongs. I was going to staple them to the pockets. I don't really think I am going to do the behavior log. I'll stick with the communication log if I can find one.

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

I just made mine for the whole year :)
    If you like me to send, pm me!

6. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

A whole year would be great. Then I would not have to spend so much time changing it every week.

7. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

I use plastic folders rather than paper folders. I staple mine as well to the folders. I do mine weekly so the staples eventually make holes in the folder and you can't staple it to the folder anymore. The plastic folders last all year long.

8. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

I do have plastic ones. The ones that say-left a home and right to school or something like that. So I am thinking the other papers would cover the log.

Hmm now I need to figure out how to do this. Unless I just write on the communication log-needs to be returned daily. Must stay in folder and keep it on the return to school side.
    That might work?! This is something I need to think about.

9. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

I have those same folder and I would like to do something similar to what you are thinking. I haven't quite figured out the kinks either!

10. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

Well we need to think it out together.

11. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

No the calendars are monthly. I just meant that I have all the monthly calendars done so all I have to do is write the child's name at the top and put in folder. It is super convenient and great documentation over time. The problem I had with the weekly logs was it was hard to see a quick pattern in behavior. Much clearer on a monthly log.

12. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

Yea I realize they are monthly now.

But also on the one you send me its a communication/behavior log. I am thinking they are two different things.

Like behavior would focus on behavior and communication would just be small stuff like -Billy will go home early today or Sarah left her library books at home type thing.

13. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

ooohh, yes I just do behavior log (because we have to). I don't really do a "communication" log because I like the little notes from parents to remind me of something. I hang them on the door so I see and the child sees them all day long.

14. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

You are right. I did the same thing last year with their little notes.