On a cart / FLEX program

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by dizzykates, Jul 25, 2007.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jul 25, 2007

Two topics here...First, have you ever taught "on a cart"? I will be traveling between two schools and teaching on a cart in each. I will service three to four grade levels and each has about 4 classrooms, totaling about 30 classrooms. What do you suggest?

Also, I am part of a new "FLEX/FLES" program. For those of you who don't know, that is foreign language exposure in elementary school. I have taught middle school Spanish/high school level one. The school has a curriculum, but it is not finalized and I won't get it until a week with it before school, it better be good.

In the mean time, I am focusing on classroom management, organization, and gathering songs and videos. I am looking for suggestions for how to stay organized on a cart, how to grade such a wide variety of students, and anything else those of you with experience in this realm deam necessary.

Thanks so much!

3. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Hi, dizzykates! Sounds like your job will be challenging! :) It also sounds interesting!! Wish we had the funds to offer Spanish in our elementary!

I do not have any great advice for you, but I do remember that last summer there were several great discussions about teaching from a cart. If you do a search for them, I think they may be helpful to you. Best of luck!! :angel:

4. Jame

Jame Comrade

5. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

I've always dreamed of teaching from a cart!!!!! banish the teachers desk and you have a reading corner, or small group work table!

Get out your sewing machine and make a folder system, similar to the slips that go on couches for magazines and tv guide, etc.

if you tack these to one side of your cart, you will have all your sheets at your fingertips, buy velcro, and make up fabric banners to attach to the front of your cart, this hides the messy look of your pencils, pens, chalk, etc, and gives the kids something to look at. It could be a poster saying "Be All You Can Be!" or something else. on the other side, opposite to the file folder pocket side, have another pocket system for resources, like a tool belt, with counting objects, magnetic spanish words, phrases, and anything else your grade requires.

When I was a kid, my Grade 4/5 teacher had a cart. and I remember overhearing a conversation that they found a desk for her at another school and were bringing it over. She replied by saying "no, it's not neccessary. I love teaching from my cart!"

HTH,
    Mr. Skinner :D

6. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jul 26, 2007

Thank you so much for these responses. I think I will get some of those milk crate things from office max and use them to store files with student work. I will also get different colored folders so each class in each grade has a different color. Rubbermaid containers sound good for markers/glue/crayons/etc. What else?? How would you structure a period where you show up at the same time as the kids? I get 40 minutes.