Omit a Job on Resume / Application?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by WordLover, Jul 11, 2017.

1. WordLover

WordLover Rookie

Jul 11, 2017

I would appreciate your advice. After graduating with an MAT, I took a replacement job that spanned four months. It was in a low-scoring high school. There were a few lapses by administrators. (I didn't get a working email password for two weeks. This made me not return email to a parent and I also missed an important dept. meeting. I did not get a key to my room when I started, and I was given no orientation or tour of the school. I also administered the PARCC without training. I chased down information/assistance from a few colleagues.) Still, I exhibited a positive, upbeat demeanor in spite of one of my classes having the following: one with ODD and Tourette's, who smiled as he interrupted the class with swearing, four left-back teens, and one with ODD who announced that she was going to kill me (also the Spanish teacher. My experienced SPED co-teacher grew to hate this class and even when we split it up, she stated that she was "just going to give them worksheets." I still designed LP's. I thought I had a good relationship with my mentor although she has not returned my email that asked her to confirm her contact info. While her letter of recommendation highlights my assets, it also states that I would become an effective teacher if under the supervision of a principal or mentor. In other words, while it touts my assets, it insinuates that I'm not up to snuff, right? When I had finished the job, I sent a letter to the principal who hired me, to thank him and certain colleagues - and to let him know that I'm now preparing slides and practices according to Wong and Lemov. I have no idea what he thinks of me and it is my fault that I had not asked when I departed. He had felt it necessary to visit this class to give them "a talking to" - to my chagrin. By the way,I have three superb letters from my student teaching experience. My question is this: do you think I should eliminate this replacement job off my resume/apps? Do administrators discover through searches - anyway - that you've had previous jobs?

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  4. WordLover

WordLover Rookie

Jul 11, 2017

Thanks, Leaborb!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2017

I'd leave it off. Especially if you have other, more positive experiences.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  6. WordLover

WordLover Rookie

Jul 12, 2017

Thank you,, Csacza and Leaborb. It was my first job after grad school. I'm an older returnee to teaching. I have not even been listing my first job, as that would stick out like a sore thumb and date me; my supervisor and principal would be dead or in a nursing home! Anyway, I'm beginning to think - as you have indicated - that I should omit the school in question. So, I'd have to list student teaching only, I suppose. In truth, I took away much professional development from that position despite the one problem class. (Surprisingly, the problem class's grades on their final exceeded expectations.) What a shame - considering our investments in high ed - that teacher prep programs eliminate resources for classroom management. Now I'm packing the Wong and Lemov goods. :)

Leaborb192 likes this.
  7. Tulipteacher

Tulipteacher Companion

Jul 12, 2017

In my state we are paid by years of experience. So leaving it off could cost you $2000 or so a year. Therefore, I would leave it on and try to get hired. If I couldn't get hired with it, then I might try leaving it off. If you leave it off you also would have a gap in your resume.

I would not include the mentor as a reference.

If this is a low performing school, then the hiring principals will know that. I think you could sell it in an interview as a learning experience. Just be sure not to say anything negative about the school, the email situation, or the coteacher. But I think you could be honest about grad school not preparing you for the true realities of teaching and as a result you've read Lemov, prepared slides, etc.

8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  9. WordLover

WordLover Rookie

Jul 18, 2017

Thanks, Tulipteacher. In my cover letters, I mention that I follow Lemov and Wong.

10. WordLover

WordLover Rookie

Jul 18, 2017

Thanks, Leaborb. Interesting. I hope you find a good position in NY.