OMG, they brought a dog to my gym. I can't take it anymore.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by PEteacher07, Jan 9, 2009.

1. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Jan 9, 2009

Our school has an after school child care program and they use my gym. I despise them. They people who run it are college kids who talk and text on their cell phones instead of watching my students.

I have had MULTIPLE issues of damage done to my gym over the past 4 years and it hasn't gotten any better. They have broken the legs off a table that we keep in the foyer THREE times, kids drawing on the walls, blood all over the bathrooms (I have the pictures to prove it), the sink pulled away from the walls 4 times from a child either sitting or standing on it, spills and food left on the floor when they have access to everything needed to clean things up, dried vomit left on the gym floor, poop all over the bathroom walls, a worker actually hung on one of our basketball rims and bent it.

The kids are yelled at constantly and some students complained last year of being cussed at. I can't even work in my own office after school in peace.

This afternoon a worker brought their dog. I called the lead director and she said she would take care of it. I better not find dog pee or poop on the gym floor. I can't believe how irresponsible they are.

If my principal doesn't do anything about it, I think I am going to call our superintendent of elementary schools who is a friend of my husbands family. This has got to stop. Am I right in going to a "higher up?" I don't even know if my principal really cares. He says he has called the director over the vomit issue, but how do I really know?

3. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jan 9, 2009

You are def. in the right. I am sorry this is happening to you. How are you able to work out of your gym and w/ your students?! If your principal does not help you I would call someone at the central office or w/e higher place.

4. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2009

If you have a faculty council you could write it up for the FC.

5. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2009

I would call

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 10, 2009

Teachers here bring dogs occasionally. It isn't unheard of and we don't think twice about it.

The OTHER issues though go to show that they have ZERO respect for your gym. At least clean up the messes. Get real!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2009

Kids who have unsupervised time to vandalize a school need more supervision. It's not only a matter of respect, and of health, and of school vandalization, it's a huge potential legal problem for the district. If one of those kids gets hurt while vandalizing your school, there's a BIG lawsuit just waiting to happen.

By all means, contact the superintendant, and include the pictures.

8. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Jan 10, 2009

Definately call. The resource people always get taken advantage of. Last year was my first year. At one of my buildings I was actually lucky enough to have a room. Not this year though. But on the days I was not there my rooms was used for all sorts of things. By other teachers if they were combining classes for something, afterschool programs etc. I was there on Mondays and Wednesday, and without fail EVERYTIME I came into my room my tables and chairs would be moved around (even with a chart I left on the board loud and clear to put the tables back correctly) Food left in my sinks! on my desk! on the student tables. The first time I asked my principal, I just wanted to know who it was using my room so I could talk to them. She just shrugged me off basically. Then the second time I was really upset and sick of having to spend my planning/prep time in the morning putting my room back together. So she basically just yelled at me and it ended up coming up in my evaluation! (she even would have the nerve to tell me I needed to keep my room cleaner, especially the tables cover them with newspaper) It was an art room! Glue was going to get on the table. It would cause more mess and problems trying to cover up the tables to keep glue off them, then to just let the glue get on the table and wash it up.

Anyway...I'll stop venting. I really dislike this principal. So do not let yourself get taken advantage of. And I find it funny she was only concerned about the vomit. When blood and poop can cause sanitary health problems if someone were to accidently come in contact with it. I bet your custodial staff hate them just as much as you do!

I'd want to know the organization these college kids are working from and go to their 'boss' or supervisor. Sure hope they aren't going into education!

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 10, 2009

I have a similar issue... there's an after school program that uses my classroom. At first I was alright with it. I worked in a school after school program through college, and I think that it's a very valuable thing for the kids.

But not when the two staff members are sitting down at a table with a magazine/laptop, and ignoring the students who are playing with things. I even noticed they took sticky notes off my desk and wrote on them for homework help. I got plastic tablecloths to cover up my desk after that so that they didn't get into my stuff.

10. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jan 10, 2009

. . . as for bringing ANY animal that wasn't a registered Service Dog, I would say, absolutely NOT. Think of the issues! Allergies, bites, phobias, etc. No, the students themselves are animal enough much of the time. NO fur-bearing animals that don't have a licensed, professional reason to be there.

Contrary to what many people seem to believe, dogs do NOT have a right to be everywhere.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 10, 2009

Mamacita, the dogs I was referring to have never been brought there when students were there.

12. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jan 10, 2009

Even so. What kind of adult would bring a DOG inside a school? Even if no students were there at the time, dog dander would still be noticeable the next day, and allergies would flourish. Besides. A person who would bring a dog inside a building without permission, would probably not clean up after it.

13. futureiowateach

futureiowateach Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

uhm, call me crazy, but I really don't think that the act of bringing a dog is a huge issue. However, if they allowed it to poop or pee in the building (regardless if it was cleaned up or not), that is a completely different story in itself. Where I went to High School the teachers would frequently bring dogs with them to the school after it dismissed if they had prep or something else to do.
    In high school, I was in just about everything and it was fairly common for the sponsors and coaches depending on the activity to bring a dog with them, especially if we were going to be at the school really late (speech, drama, music... etc.) One summer I worked for the summer school program as an aide, and I saw multiple teachers bring his or her dog with them while theyworked on whatever it was they were working on. I obviously don't teach now(see screen name :-D) So I am not sure if that has changed or not but...
    Where I work at now, I am a Charge Nurse at a skilled nursing facility and we frequently have dogs and cats brought in by staff, visitors and families, I personally bring my dogs in when I am working in the office. So i guess I am one of those crazy people that thing that dogs can be just about anywhere, if trained appropriately.
    The rest of the things are terrible and really should be reported to the higher ups, especially if they are repeating, we all know that accidents happen and sometimes we don't do as through of a job as we would like for whatever reason at some point, but if this is happening over and over agin, I would report it.
    Side note: I couldn't imagine spending the time talking on the phone at work, I write my staff up (as Charge Nurse I supervise approx 10-15 people at the minimum) if I see cell phones out.

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 11, 2009

I think you would get better results if you contacted the child care manager. Surely there are some regulations regarding child care. In any public program bodily spills are considered highly dangerous and must be taken care of in a specified manner.

That, and the safety issue of not watching the children makes me really nervous.

15. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jan 11, 2009

My dog dander allergies are so severe, I tend to get jumpy when I see a dog. I would never patronize a store that allowed dogs in it, and someone on the job, with a dog, would gross me out. Sorry. I would not bring my children to work with me, either, no matter how well they were trained. If you had to devote any time to them at ALL, it would be like stealing from your boss! I don't mean to put down the dog lovers, but there is a time and place for everything, and the workplace is NOT one of them. Unless you're training Lassie, and being paid specifically for paying attention to an animal. I've had too many students with dog issues to be positive about an animal at school.

16. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Jan 11, 2009

#1 These are not responsible people. Last year a child had a potty accident and they left urine soaked clothes in our bathroom overnight. I had to hold my breathe to keep from throwing up.

#2 This is an after school child care program using someone elses facility. They have NO RIGHT to bring an animal into MY CLASSROOM.

What would happen if that dog bit a child? Children are unpredictable which could freak out a normally nice dog. One of my dogs can not be around children b/c they will come up behind him and scare him or pull on his ears.

What about if one of the children was afraid of a dog for whatever reason. That child doesn't have a right to go to after school daycare without worrying about a dog being in the environment?

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2009

First of all, if there is a policy against dogs at the school , then there should be NO DOGS AT THE SCHOOL.

It's the Paris Hilton-ization of America, mamacita- Dogs as fashion accessories, they go everywhere and with everything!!:eek: (and no, I'm not anti-dog, just anti-animal where they don't belong...)

...EWWW and blood and fecal matter in the bathroom? What? There's just too many health issues related to blood borne and bodily fluid pathogens...If your administrators won't do something about this program, call the health department, the department of child services... This is not a good environment for the kids in the program, for you to come back to, for the kids you teach each day who must use this space:eek:

18. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jan 11, 2009

After school Program

:dizzy:Have you spoken to the director of your after school program and showed them what was going on? If they took no action I would remind the principal how dangerous this is and how if someone gets hurt there could be a lawsuit.
    I would also make him aware that this is a very dangerous situation and before you get named in a lawsuit you will have to take the problem up with the superintendent. I wonder if the parents of the children involved know what is going on.

19. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Jan 11, 2009

My principal knows and our previous principal knew too. I have told him all that has happened. My gym is not connected to the school so we are kinda off in our own little world. I don't think many people really care what goes on out there. I could probably do whatever I wanted with the kids and no one would ever know. If the program was held in the cafeteria and that crap was happening he would probably put his foot down....

I have talked to the director and so has my principal (or so he says) and all we ever get out of her is "I'm sorry." They will improve and do what they are supposed to for a week, and then they go back to where they were before.

People have complained and complained but nothing changes. Parents send their kids here b/c it is really cheap and its at school so the kids just walk out to the gym so its really convenient.

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2009

Keep going up the chain until you see results!

21. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 11, 2009

I know when I worked at an after school program, there was a daycare inspector (that wasn't her title, but you get the point) that would come in... there was also a phone number that could be called if something like what you're talking about happened, and this would lead to increased inspections, and even the shutting down of the daycare. I don't know if the same is true for your area, but you may want to check it out.

22. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2009

I agree, dogs do not belong in schools!

23. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2009

The other issue with dogs is that someone could be allergic to it and have an allergy attack. BAd, very bad.

It's sad that it might take someone getting hurt or lost and a lawsuit filed in order for this program to shape up.