OMG the shouting out!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Sep 15, 2014.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 15, 2014

My class is driving me crazy. I have 14 boys and 11 girls. The girls are all angels, and I'm not exaggerating. I have never had to give any of the girls any reminders. They always do as they're told.

The boys on the other hand...Eight of them are a handful. We were warned about this group last year when they were in 1st grade, and now I see why. Everything is difficult for these 8 boys. For example, during a transition today, about 5 of them jumped or slid to their carpet spots. So I had the class go back to their table spots to try it again. They were then crawling, rolling, jumping, hopping, etc. back to their table spots. So we came back to the carpet to practice going to our tables the right way to practice going to the carpet the right way. :dizzy: This is my entire day.

The thing that's driving me the most crazy is the shouting out. They comment on everything. And the whining is obnoxious, too. They keep asking me when recess is, and when it is time to go home. I gave them a lecture last week about how they should never ask me when anything is, because our schedule is posted. I told them that I will never answer questions like "When is recess?" or "What are we dong next?"

I know it takes time to get into the routines, but they are driving me crazy. The shouting out is the most annoying. What do you do when 1/3 of your class shouts out? I don't want to punish the whole class, but keeping a checklist or taking recess minutes away for those kids only would be tough, because so many of them are shouting out. Any suggestions?

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2014

This sounds like my 9th graders.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2014

How many weeks into the school year are you??

I have a tough group this year as well. It is getting better, but oh my!!! The boys in my class slide into their squares as well...one jumped into it today. The boys can´t keep their hands to themselves...one of them barks...or growls...I can´t figure out what exactly the noise is that comes out of his mouth....

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2014

The things we´re exposed to as teachers...

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 15, 2014

This is our 3rd week of school. I have some random noises coming from my class, too. I find myself saying, "We don't need to make silly noises" at least 6 times a day.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 15, 2014

How do you reward the girls and any boys with appropriate behavior?

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 15, 2014

I have the same issues this year as well. I still haven't figured out the shouting out thing (which I know isn't very helpful). I compliment those who raise their hands. I ask them to raise their hand if they have something to share. I specifically asked one the other day to raise his hand and share that idea-he says "oh, that's all I had to say". I have a few that get really mad if you don't call on them and I explain we are giving everyone a chance-I think that's why they yell out so much-to get their answers out there. :|

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 15, 2014

I just completely ignore it, act like I don't hear it and make a huge deal out of the kid who was raising his hand silently. Wow, Nathan, I'm so proud you remembered to raise your hand, what were you thinking. Great idea Nathan, I'm so glad I could hear your answer when no one else was talking. (And maybe a trip to the treasure box or something).

10. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2014

I have a 9th grader who does this too. It is so exhausting. I have to ride here on them and keep them busy. I have them pass papers out (normally kids pick up handouts as they come in the room, but I decided he needed a job to do). I've been finding reasons these kids can be out of their seats occasionally. They've been responding well to being needed in the class, either because I tell them they will be doing a problem on the board, or a manufactured job.

I still can't figure out which of 8-9 suspects is making the monkey/rooster/whatever the heck sounds.

11. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Sep 15, 2014

I'd keep those who are shouting out in from recess and use that time to practice those procedures. Do this a few times, and most of them will figure out really fast that you're serious about not shouting out and will be much more careful about it in the future.

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 15, 2014

This is a perfect situation for charting. And I just had someone walk in but I will come back and explain!

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 15, 2014

School-wide we give out paws for PBIS, and they can buy things with their paws at the end of the week.

As for keeping kids in for recess to practice, I can't really do that right now, because I have to use recess time for assessments. I'm starting my running records and PALS testing tomorrow. I have 25 kids to test, and only 4 weeks to get all of the tests done. We're not allowed to use class time for testing, so they have to be pulled from recess. :(

14. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2014

Off topic but that stinks about testing! We get a sub so we can pull kids for PALS testing!!! How awful to "punish" both you and the kids so they can test!
    Ok...back on topic.

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 15, 2014

We do actually get one day for a sub, so I'm hoping to get a lot of my PALS testing done that day. It's the running records that are making me nervous. I have 19 days to do running records on 25 kids! And this year 2nd grade is the only one getting a sub day for PALS because it's our first year. Next year we won't get any sub days. :(

16. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2014

:hugs:
    UGH!! That's awful!!! :hugs: for patience in the long 19 days!!! I like how they give you a sub for the first year....because it's new. :rolleyes:

17. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 15, 2014

I like this idea. I might have some of my kids come practice this week. :)

18. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Sep 15, 2014

I never call on someone shouting out, make a huge deal about someone raising their hand and give out stickers for hand raising instead of calling out. Stickers work so well in 2nd.

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2014

I had a class just like this a couple years ago!
    May not work for 2nd, but I made a list of movements ( you could teach verbs!) and let a certain child select randomly (pull out a card from the stack...the excitement in seeing their reaction to the card pulled was worth doing it) and that is how they had to move at transitions for the day. Hop, skip, jump, traipse, sashay, promenade,etc. and many other big words that we practiced! They loved it and it made transition times a lot more fun and less stressful. They eventually got tired of "moving that way" and I eventually only let them do it at the end of the day if they could come to the carpet as expected the rest of the day. It was a win win. They loved it and felt like they had some control/say in things:p!

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2014

So maybe these animal noises generated by our male students are common in all grade levels!

21. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Sep 16, 2014

I wonder if you could try something like before they go to the rug, talk about how they are going to get there? Have them explain they are going to walk, how will they sit, how they will wait for others and the teacher to get there and such. Then pick one or two students to demonstrate. Have the students describe what they did that was good and ask if a couple more can do it just like those two did. Then maybe a couple more. Now can the whole rest of the class do that?

That's how I approach new kinds of movement activities in music class :) It takes time but then you have the benefit of being able to give a lot of praise for students who do a good job.

22. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Sep 16, 2014

Also kinderkids I love that suggestion too!! super cute :)

23. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 16, 2014

I'm finally getting time to talk about charting! Ok, so unbeknownst to the kids, you choose a behavior and start recording how many times that happens in a certain time frame. You can do this for multiple time frames so you have a beginning, or just one period. You don't tell the kids you are watching for something specific, although sometimes kids will notice you are making tally marks and question, but you just ignore the question until you have your data.

Then, you reveal the graph you have created (can be anything, but in 2nd a line graph would probably be best). Then you tell them that you have been observing a certain behavior and challenge them to make their graph lower. I promise you, you will see dramatic changes quickly. Especially when they see you tallying. They will catch each other, and eagerly await the posting of the next data point.

I've never used a method so effective as this. You have to be careful, you don't want to chart everything because the novelty will wear off, but you can start and stop this as often as you need. You can also chart positive behaviors and watch the line go up too.

The best part-the rewards are intrinsic. You aren't giving them something for a behavior that they should exhibit on their own. You are allowing them to see what they can accomplish together as a class, help each other get better, and decrease interruptions.

I've used this all the way to 8th grade, and they loved it. It was a competition with themselves. Try it, it's free and easy!

24. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 16, 2014

Kcjo, do you tell them which behavior you are tracking?

25. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Sep 16, 2014

LOVE LOVE LOVE the charting idea! Going to try that tomorrow with my second graders:)
    We are working on transitioning without chatting..

26. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 16, 2014

Otter, After the initial chart I would, but you could certainly not and keep them guessing! That's the great thing-it's so flexible you do what works. I got a room full of incredibly chatty 8th graders down to total silence. There were some that just wanted to be jerks about it, but the peer pressure quickly took care of that.

27. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 16, 2014

With my junior high, we would get to the point where the graph would be so low it was maybe one or two interruptions in a period. But some days, they might come in just in a chatty so I would just secretly start charting. A quick plotting of a higher data point and it was enough to stop the behavior right away. It is honestly the best method ever, because there is no complicated points, moving anything on a chart, embarrassing one student. It's a team effort.

As a hall, we used to graph things like saying please and thank you, or helping others. We would pick a behavior of the week, and start graphing-we might tell what good behavior it was, or we might let them guess. We had pleases and thank yous coming out our ears!

28. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 18, 2014

I have one third grade class that is much lower in academic ability and behavioral abilities than the other 3rd grade class. Today I called them out on their behaviors- you're 3 periods behind the other 3rd grade class, so you will get 1 warning from me each, then your name goes up on the board, and each mark next to it will take 1 minute of recess away. They were much better, so I'm going to continue that (they really only went back to their "regular" behavior the last 5 minutes of class- so I think that they're just young and need to build up the stamina to focus long enough). One boy does not give me any eye contact- I think it's more of a "he wants to do what he wants to do" and so yesterday I called him out on it (in a really nice way) and told him we would work on that together. I praised him like crazy when I saw him looking at me and he just giggled each time, so I know he didn't take my request for eye contact personally.

My P prefers that we seat boys with boys and girls with girls, which I don't agree with- I think it's good to teach students that they can work with either gender and with people who are not their best friends. So Oct 1st, let's just say there won't be any more girls tables or boys tables.

When ever there's a behavior that's not okay, I have a class discussion about why I don't think it's okay for the sake of the student, the other students in the class, or myself. And I think consequences have to be in place- if you can't do your job (as a student), you don't get a reward (such as recess, a fun activity, a prize, etc). It's not that I'm being mean, but I'm teaching them how it is in the real world- something that they should start to learn even at a young age.

29. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 18, 2014

So I have a class this year that won't.stop.talking and shouting out. My co-teacher came up with the brilliant idea of using yellow and red cards. We don't do visual behavior plans, so this isn't a move-your-clip thing. They are actual yellow and red cardstock cards. If a student shouts out or is talking when they shouldn't, we give them a yellow card, just like a ref in a soccer game would. It's their warning. They have to write on it why they got the yellow card, and it goes in their portfolio folder. They also loose their morning recess.

If they get caught again, they get a red card, which is a call home from them at lunch.

They seriously hate getting the yellow cards. I haven't gotten to a red card yet, because I do start over each day. I just keep a small stack on the front table. I give them without saying a word-just set it on their desk.

Maybe it would help? We're having to really crack the whip this week-they had a bad experience with the music sub, and now NO ONE can talk about anything without raising their hand, we have no group work unless I can't do the activity any other way, they walk in complete silence, etc. They have to do this for 5 consecutive days before we're letting up a little. I'm hoping it will stick after those 5 days. I hate teaching like this-I like a bit more participation, but it's necessary at this point.

30. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2014

I have a noisemaker, too...well actually, I have two of them, and I know exactly who they are. And they do it ALL.DAY.LONG, apparently because they think it is funny. It is to the point that it is extremely disruptive and the other students are getting seriously annoyed, and still they won't stop. We've been in school for 6 weeks, so I've tried several things already: I've tried rewarding (a star on their behavior cards for every hour without noises or even more immediate rewards like "everybody who didn't make noises during read-aloud time today gets a Skittle!") and I've tried consequences (taking away recess, they've had to eat their lunch at a desk off by themself, sending them out to sit in the hall and making up the work at recess, contacting parents) without seeing ANY change at all. :( I'm totally stumped, not to mention frustrated!

31. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 18, 2014

I love this. I might try it next.