OMG, the heat!!! Also, how to dress for it!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by nicegirl, Aug 11, 2007.

1. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

It is 102 here in Texas as I type. The heat index is 115! We went from a downpour that lasted 6 weeks long to a very hot summer! sheesh!

Texas teachers, how do you all dress to beat the heat? Are no pantyhose allowed? How about sleeveless? sandals? I hope they tell me what I can and can not wear during new teacher orientation because it is so hot here you want to wear the coolest thing possible!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2007

I'm in Las Vegas where it's also very, very hot. It's not usually very humid here, so we do have that in our favor. Even so, the regular outside temperature (no heat index) is often 115-120, and that's friggin' hot!

New teacher orientation at our school site is very informal, so we can get away with wearing shorts and tanks. All the new teacher stuff at the district offices, though, is much more formal so teachers need to dress professionally.

I recommend a light colored, breezy material like linen, with a sleeveless shirt underneath. The shirt shouldn't be a tank top, instead like where the shoulder is completely covered.

Wear your hair up if it's long. Have plenty of bottled water with you. Wear good deodorant.

4. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

I feel your pain! I need to buy "teacher clothes" but until new teacher orientation I'm not sure what I can buy.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 11, 2007

At some schools, hose is required and some places also won't allow open toed shoes so you will have to ask.

Ask the teachers you see working in their rooms so you can get a head start on buying your wardrobe.

6. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

Every district I've worked for has been pretty laid back regarding teacher dress code. Now, that's not to say we can show up in shorts and ratty t-shirts! We are allowed to wear sandals, are NOT required to wear hose, can wear sleeveless tops (I'm personally not comfortable with that...I will do twinsets, though, and take off the long sleeve sweater if I get too warm.), capris, etc.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 11, 2007

At my last district, we couldn't wear capris or pants shorter than below the ankle.

8. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

:down: on them!

9. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Aug 11, 2007

I wear a lot of short sleeve shirts, skirts, capris, and sandals....however....our building is usually very cold so often times I need to bring a sweater. The only time the heat really affects me is when we go out for recess, which is only 15 minutes a day or the air conditioning isn't working properly.

10. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

Good point. Many buildings can be this way. If you're new to your building, make a point to talk to the teachers ON YOUR WING who have been there for at least a year. They'll be able to tell you how to dress. The building where our learning teams met for inservice last year was so cold that our team went outside at the September meeting, just so we could be comfortable. Thank goodness I don't teach in that building!

11. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2007

I keep my classroom like the Arctic, so I usually wear pants & a short sleeved shirt.

12. alto1jr

alto1jr Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

RGV-Yup, it is hot!

I teach in the RGV and I have never seen anyone wear pantyhose at the school that I am in. I usually wear short sleeve shirts, dressy pants, and sandals. I hardly ever go outside, so I do not notice the unbearable heat.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 11, 2007

I hate those first weeks back because of the heat and humidity. I'm not going to even think about hurric....... Anyway, for back to school week anything goes.

Then, when school starts, we are very casual. No jeans, though. Any kind of blouse/top that isn't a t-shirt or isn't above the waistline is fine. I like to layer a blouse over a knit shirt because that's much lighter than a jacket. Capris are fine. Sandals, too. I've never seen anyone wear pantyhose.

We have morning duty & lunch duty on some days, after-school duty every day and I hate it. I carry my iced tea out with me. I also keep a change of clothes in my car or my closet and won't hesitate to change if I feel too gross.

14. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 11, 2007

An idea if you can't wear open toed shoes... sandals with a more closed toe. I teacher friend of mine doesn't like to wear open toed sandals because she doesn't like the look of her toenails. She usually finds cute sandals that aren't open toed...

[​IMG]

15. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 11, 2007

Oh and to add... anything slip-on would be good... if your feet get hot in the room and you are sitting at your desk, slip them off and put them on the cold tile floor! lol I've done that before! When I was overweight, I rolled my pants legs up for a while, too, until I cooled off.

16. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2007

I knew if you were complaining bout this heat you had to be a tx gal :)

I wear dark colors that don't show sweat! AND...summery skirts are nice with a tank and a little shirt over it.

17. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 11, 2007

Sear-sucker material is usually cool. Anything gauzey but not see-through is also nice!

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 11, 2007

I know all about the bare feet and rolled up pant legs. Sigh. In fact, that's how I was running around my room today while setting up. I don't even care if the kids see my bare feet once in a while when I slip my sandals off when sitting down.

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2007

It never fails that when I take my sandals off, the intercom on my phone "beeps" (internal call) and I have to run across the floor barefoot to grab it! :lol:

20. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

My mentor told me the other day that for the first day of district wide inservice (tomorrow, ugh!) to dress professionally. She's wearing a shell with lightweight jacket and capris. No specification on shoes, but I'm sure "dress" sandals (i.e., no flip flops). I ran into an awesome sale at Penney's yesterday and bagged up a number of what I hope are appropriate items. I'll probaby do the capri, shell, light-weight blouse thing. That's what just about everyone I know wears around here...pretty business casual but tasteful. Some really dress down and I find that to be in poor taste. This year at this new school for me, we cannot wear jeans (any type, not just blue) except for on specified, rare, days. Apparently, they are trying to cut down on the number of people who abuse the dress requirements. I'm really hopeing my cute little sleeveless (but tastfully done) linen top and longer linen (lined) skirt are acceptable for the first day of school.