OMG Royal Wedding? Really?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2011

I do not understand the amount of interest that the wedding has Here in the United States. I mean it is just a wedding (said by a guy who has been divorced 3 times).
    I kept hearing that the wedding was this week but just never had any interest to see any of it. (Maybe it could be my Irish heritage.)

Why does the Royal Wedding hold such an interest? (Here)

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 30, 2011

It's sort of like a Super Bowl for girls, but instead of getting a Super Bowl every year, we have to go 30 years between Royal weddings, so we have to cram it all into one event.

Didn't you know it's (almost) every little girl's dream to become a princess???

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 30, 2011

LOL Dave, glad to know I wasn't the only one not watching! (My dad's grandparents came over from Ireland, so maybe you're right! :D) While I'm sure it was beautiful, I just think of all the other ways that money could have been spent. It's sad.

5. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2011

Well, Heck if I want to see a princess I'll just look at my granddaughter LOL

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2011

mm is right. And who, at one point reading histories of royalty, didn't imagine what it would be like to be royalty?

Dave~my mom's side of the family is Irish. My dad's come from Wales. :)

7. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Apr 30, 2011

Well, this is yet another example of why I am quite certain that I may in fact be... a man. Not Irish, and not interested. I'll take my super bowls with giant padded up men slamming into each other moving the ball down the field. :)

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 30, 2011

I think it is a sweet romance, but nothing more. No interest in knowing the details, but the glimpses I've caught reveal a lovely event.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 30, 2011

The British taxpayers spent $20 Million in security costs. The rest of the wedding was paid for by the families of the bride and groom.

In return for that $20mill, the United Kingdom received the equivilant of up to $1.4 billion in television air time in the United States alone!. Add to that the air time around the rest of the world, and I'd say that the tourism industry in the UK just got the cheapest world wide advertisement campaign ever.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 30, 2011

There is very little elegance in the world these days and the royal wedding provided a much-needed dose of it.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 30, 2011

Well, I bet the British people thought the same thing when Chelsea got married. Weren't people dying to know what her dress looked like? The location? The guests? (I'm in NY close to the actual location and it definitely was newsworthy around here).
    I would never have gotten up at 3am to watch it but was happy to watch a few clips online last night and it was defintely interesting but I did like the Super Bowl analogy. When I see people dressed up in football shirts and have things painted on their face the week before the superbowl I think, "come on, don't these people have anything better to do"? To each their own I say :)

12. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Apr 30, 2011

Aw! I hope you let her know that! How cute! aw!

13. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2011

Yes, she knows I spoil her rotten.
    GrandPa the name, spoiling is the game.

14. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2011

Because Prince William and Princess Kate appear, at least presently, to be among the few celebrities who are not depraved, addicted, tarnished, overpopulating, adulterous, or just plain tools.

In other words, there's no reason not to like them and to be happy for them.

15. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2011

Gosh, you are right about that it is nice to see "Nice" celebrities!

16. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Apr 30, 2011

Add to the fact that they seem so nice, many folks saw those boys left in a family where the dad always loved another woman and the mom always seemed to be trying to give them normalcy. When Diana died, I think many were hoping the boys would fare well and a feel good story like a wedding lets one know that they made it to adulthood and became something their mom would have been happy to see. I was not one of the early risers, but I did check out the news to see the highlights. (Loved the dress choice, by the way.:))

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 30, 2011

It's escapism. Just like a movie or American Idol-for a few minutes, you get to live in a moment outside of your own life. Not that our lives are bad or need to be escaped from, but it's something different.

I heard yesterday about some ladies who had a 3am 'tea' with hats and scones. I wish I had thought of that!

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2011

I love having the opportunity to witness history in the making.

19. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 30, 2011

I have no problem with anyone else wanting to watch it. It's just not my cup-o-tea! (ewww glad you can't hear the bad British accent! lol)

20. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 30, 2011

I stayed up and watched the Charles and Diana wedding. I told myself that - "oh, my. That was in my younger days. I am not so foolish to get up early AGAIN.", and then procceeded to get up at 1:30 and watch all the coverage for this one as well. (Can you BELIEVE it - I missed the balcony kisses! I was hurrying to get out of the house for school and heard this huge cheer from the crowd on the tv downstairs. I flew down the stairs with a mouthful of toothpaste- but it was too late.

I agree with the "superbowl for girls" and "waiting 30 years in-between". Though i did the same gaga stuff for Andrew and Fergie AND Charles and Camilla[that was with an air-sickness bag] - and probably will for Harry's first wedding. ;)

But what little girl DIDN'T love the wedding-endings of the Disney movies?

(Kate looked like a brunette Cinderella. FINALLY, i could picture my -younger self- as a royal-bride. Didn't Cinderella's prince wear a red uniform for their wedding? Hmmmm.. going to check. Nope, it was a yellow jacket and red pants. <- sheeeesh, who dressed THAT guy?? :p )

21. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Apr 30, 2011

Yes, this is true. It was just kind of nice to see something....nice for a change.

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2011

I thought this was a beautiful photo. I like how the kids are just being kids...one not looking at the camera, one girl looking like she's just hanging out, the boy leaning in...too cute. And again, I must say how much I absolutely love her dress. You can click on the photo to see it slightly larger.

[​IMG]

23. KDS

KDS Companion

Apr 30, 2011

which is why i MADE my 8 yr old watch the First Kiss...twice...and as a boy....he almost DIED!!!(or so you would think)

i watched in the am while i was getting dressed etc, but that really has been about it.

and i have to agree, it is like the Super Bowl for girly stuff. :wub:

24. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Apr 30, 2011

I enjoyed watching the wedding festivities on TV. Even though I have never dreamed of becoming a princess, I still enjoyed watching two people who truly love each other celebrate their marriage with their families, friends and assorted celebrities. There are so many things going wrong with the world, so it's nice to be reminded that there are still people falling in love and looking forward to the future.

Also: her dress was gorgeous, the hats were hilarious, and the guests were fun to watch.

25. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2011

I think she it too pretty for him, she could have done better
    :lol: :toofunny:

26. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 1, 2011

I was so sick of hearing about the royal wedding. Even my daughter was sick of it! But, I did enjoy watching it (up until they said their vows).

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

Why?

28. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 1, 2011

I loved watching it. William and Kate seem like normal people but are a prince and princess.
    She looked so elegant and beautiful.
    I told my class I wish I could be a princess but they told me I am already marrried and they agreed to call me Mrs.Princess :)
    A lot of my students (age 5) did watch it on the news on Friday morning