OMG I'm going to be a teacher!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by newteachfl, Aug 9, 2007.

1. newteachfl

newteachfl Companion

Aug 9, 2007

It's strange, I was lucky enough to get hired in late June, so I've had the whole summer to prepare for my first ever teaching job (I never student taught, because I don't have an education degree). For the past two days I've been allowed into my classroom and have been organizing and cleaning like crazy.

Then all the sudden today, on my drive home, it hit me. In a little over a week, I'm going to be an actual teacher! There will be 20
    3rd graders showing up to my class expecting me to know what I'm doing!!

I feel so overwhelmed. I feel like I haven't done enough. On the first day of school I know I'm supposed to go over rules and procedures and how I want the class to operate for the upcoming school year. But of course, I have no idea how I want my class to operate or what the procedures should be!

I'm sure everyone else is feeling like this, I just needed to rant :)

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 9, 2007

Congratulations, newteachfl. With your enthusiasm, it is going to be a wonderful year. 3rd grade is the perfect grade to start with, in my opinion. You will learn to fine-tune things as you go along. Have some games or fun activities on hand to fill in the bits of time that come up. Plan for more than you can do so you keep them busy all the time. Good luck.

4. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

Congrats, newteachfl. I'm also a "new teach in FL," and I'm also coming from out-fo-field. I'll be teaching 4th grade. I keep bouncing from really excited to pretty darn scared. Sounds like we've got lots in common. What city are you in?

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2007

NOPE!!!

You ARE a teacher :)

6. txtchr

txtchr Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

i'm sorry, but....

maybe you should have gotten your education degree. Maybe then you would know what to do.

7. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

Wow, how rude was that??

I don't care how many classes you take, or what your degree is in... I highly doubt ANYONE is as prepared as they want to be their first year.

I'm sure you will do just fine! There are so many resources on this forum as well as in your school that I bet everything will be okay =o)

8. gmer22

gmer22 Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

It will be just fine new teacher...everyone feels like this at one point or another....even if you get your education degree. There is no point pretending or acting like we know it all. We all eventually get the hang of it with the help of other teachers and the kids themselves. Good luck.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2007

10. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

Wow. This is my first time on this web site, and within five minutes somebody's already taken a shot at those of us seeking alternative certification. From reading a few other posts, I know people are usually supportive of one another here. Not everybody knows what they want to do with their entire lives during their late teens/early 20's. I wish I had. I'm really happy for people brave enough to start a new career. Good for you, NewTeachFL.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2007

Sorry Tampa; what you caught was an abberation.

Normally things here are incredibly civilized!

(Oh, and welcome to you too!!)

12. txtchr

txtchr Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

ok,ok...

Sorry! I know that was pretty rude of me! I am just a little apprehensive of everyone who doesn't have to go through the training. They are the ones that end up getting all of the teaching jobs. I learned SO much during my student teaching. I feel like even if you don't have an education degree that at least you should have to go through student teaching. But my bad.....I shouldn't have been so hasty!

13. Ms.MB

Ms.MB Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

Having a degree in education does not guarantee a great teacher. I know many who do have a degree in education and just show up for the paycheck.

I, myself, have a degree in education. This is my second year teaching. Does this mean that I'm 100% confident?...no, but I'm motivated to try my best anyway.

Good luck to you, newteachfl. I'm sure you'll have a great year.

14. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

No worries =o)

I'm surprised you are saying they get all the teaching jobs because I didn't student teach (degree in Biology, graduate work in education, obtaining certification the post-bacc route) and it was a pain to find a job because they would rather hire those who student taught over those who hadn't.

15. txtchr

txtchr Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

Lyquidphyre,
    I'm surprised you had a hard time getting a job with that biology degree. I have a specialization in bio as well but I'm elementary.

I'm a firm believer in student teaching. ( I guess that is obvious! :) ) You really learn more there than in any college class!

16. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

:) It's all good.
    I can understand that frustration. In Tampa there is a teacher shortage, so I don't think it's as big an issue (ACP teachers getting all the jobs). I can see how someone with an education degree and experience would be really upset seeing ACP teachers getting hired while experienced teachers are struggling to find work.
    I'm really glad I found this Web site. It's great to have a place to share ideas and get some reassurance. Thanks, everyone!

17. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

I'm not as highly qualified as those who had experience and/or student teaching. I had TONS of people like me, but they were required to hire the applicant that was the "most qualified."
    I searched high and low and the science openings closed FAST. However, I was lucky and ended up getting a job in my dream school.

Also, I'm sure student teaching helps.. but I usually learn better by jumping in head first and I always come up swimming =o)
    And, you have to keep in mind a lot of career changers can't afford to student teach, literally.

I think good teachers are good regardless of their training and bad teachers are bad teachers regardless of their training. Never be too quick to judge those who didn't student teach =o)

18. newteachfl

newteachfl Companion

Aug 10, 2007

Tampa Teacher: I'm actually going to be teaching in Tampa too! (well, at least I assume you are, based on your name :))

As for me not having an education degree and get a job - I understand that ideally, yes, everyone who teaches should have some education in it. But I have been going to all the trainings that have been offered by my district.

However, I do believe that a lot of what makes a good teacher cannot be taught in a class. You either have the gift and desire to teach, or you do not. Obviously, the principal who hired me has faith that I will be a good teacher. Of the new teachers hired at my school, most have education degrees, but there are a few of us who don't. And from talking to all the new teachers I've been going to training with, we're equally as nervous.

To everyone else, thanks for all the support. I love this site and all it has to offer!

19. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Aug 14, 2007

I have a BA in Political Science--did the student teaching and all that jazz--and learned more through volunteer/subbing experience than my student teaching. Good luck newteach...you are right. Most of it cannot be taught. Congrats and you desreve it!

20. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 14, 2007

Congrats! :2up: This is totally going to be me when I get my first teaching job. It will just seem so surreal I guess. Good luck with everything, I'm sure you'll be fine and go with the flow of the schoolyear!

21. MichieB

MichieB Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

wow

I too was surprised by the previous comment. I have been reading this for 2 years now but just joined and have never found a negative comment when someone was asking for help. Just to let the person know who made that comment, not all people can afford to take an entire semester to student teach. I did take almost all of my education classes through my university as my electives but could not take a semester to student teach without working. I have always wanted to be a teacher and I took the alternative certification route and I do feel that I am completely qualified to teach. I have been teaching now for two years but I am switching grades this year and I am scared just like anyone else. Congratulations NewTeach, you are going to do great and don't let anyone bring you down and make you feel like you are not qualified for the job.

22. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2007

I will be teaching this year with an intern credential as well. According to the state of California, I am qualified to teach in a
    self contained classroom K-12. I do have 8 years classroom experience teaching as a master teacher in the Head Start program for my school district, so that helps, but I think every time we change grades, it's like starting over! Im happy and I needed a change. I believe if a teacher is qualified to get a position, and you have to be qualified legally, or you cannot be offered the job, then good luck to them! The student teaching vs. internship teaching is an interesting argument, but one is not better or worse than the other. It is a lot of work to take credential classes and work full time at a job, teaching or otherwise. Congratulations NewteachFL!!

23. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

Wow!:eek: I thought that this was a forum to support others!:peace:

I know there's another poster in my area that submits similiar comments.

However, it seems like he had a hard time finding a job and was upset at alternative certification candidates that beat him out of positions. Hmmm...maybe he isn't a people person? I know that I didn't get warm fuzzies from his comments. :dunno: (maybe he shouldn't be working with children????) Who knows? Nuff said!

p.s. Congrats on your new teaching position!:party:

24. SpecialTeacher

SpecialTeacher Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

I'm going to be a new teacher too and I'm pretty nervous. I have my lesson plan all set for at least the first day now, so that helps. I met one of my kid's mom yesterday and I think that I totally fooled her into thinking I know what I'm doing. Yay!

25. LucyS

LucyS Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

Student teaching doesn't necessarily help, anyway. I student taught for a whole year, in three different classrooms, and also had to complete over 100 hours of volunteering as a requirement to entering the teacher preparation program.

Well, guess what happened? Instead of teaching 4-6, which are the grades I have experience with, I was assigned 1st grade. I have never spent so much as a day in a 1st grade classroom.

There's nothing from my training or student teaching that's helping me prepare. In a little over a week, twenty little 1st graders will be showing up and expecting me to know what to do.

My brain sort of knows that I can do it, but the rest of me needs to be convinced....

26. newteachfl

newteachfl Companion

Aug 19, 2007

Special Teacher: I know exactly what you mean! I had open house a few days ago and I think I did a pretty good job of convincing the parents that I knew what I was doing and that I had my whole year planned out. I felt so proud of my self. Now I just have to take it one week at a time :)

27. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

I am scared to death. My acp was good, but I don't think anything can fully prepare you for your first year. I hope I do alright!

28. Koolness

Koolness Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

Hello everyone,
    I was just hired on friday and I am so exited. I'm so nervous as well but I get comfort knowing that as a first year teacher, I'm not the only one going through these roller coaster emotions. Not to mention, since I'm going the ACP route, I have to tell my boss tomorrow that I got a new job as a teacher. But in the end, I know I am prepared mentally for all the ups and downs as a first year teacher. Congrats to everyone that has secured a job this year and good luck!!!

29. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 20, 2007

I wish I could order a round of margaritas for all of us! :D :D Cheers to all of the newbies with JOBS!!!! Relax and just enjoy the kids!

30. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 20, 2007

I felt the exact same way this time last year! Everyone kept telling me that I would need to go over and the routines and all with the kids, but I kept thinking "If I don't know the routines how can I teach them?!?!" I ended up just copying a LOT of ideas from my team and mentor...now this year I am coming up with many of my own ideas and routines. Yes, this year you will OFTEN be confused and stressed, but just think of how great year 2 will be!! Good luck!